Retired Daniel Talia [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's an UFA, he's not being traded unless the destination club didn't want to hurt their FA compo pick.
The AFL article says delisted, but you're right – he won't be delisted until the list lodgement dates in October. Until then he's still eligible as a UFA.

So his current choices are:
  • Unrestricted Free Agency – This is the earliest opportunity to move, with the free agency period opening before the trade period. Choose a club and sign with them, Adelaide gets no say in it, but may receive compensation depending on the contract and fancy formula. Isaac Smith netted Hawthorn a Band 5 pick as a 31 year old last year, for example. There are more examples here and the formula breakdown is here.
  • Trade – Choose a club, Adelaide and chosen club negotiate a deal, etc. As you said, only likely if the destination club are getting a compo pick and don't want to lose it, otherwise they'll just move him via UFA.
  • Delisted Free Agency – After the trade period, before the draft, there are two windows for DFAs to move (one after each list lodgement date). I think there's a third window after the draft as well. No compensation for Adelaide through that process.
  • Draft – He can theoretically nominate for the draft, but why the heck would he want to do that? Zero benefit for anyone involved.
  • Supplemental Selection Period – last ditch option if no one wants him straight away on their senior list. This will put him on a rookie list sometime over the summer.

In his interview, Talia mentioned that yes, clubs expressed interest and there are
basically 3 options in front of him.

1. Family discussion should they stay in SA, possibly not continue the footy career.
2. Go to a team to assist re-build with his experience, leadership.
3. go to flag contender.

Not exactly limiting the field there. Either retire or go to pretty much any other club bar Adelaide.

Personally, I am a bit surprised that he will not use Crows facilities to continue his recovery. I am pretty sure, his contract still has a couple of months to run. I guess, a bit of frustration, disappointment is there.

I did not get the same impression at all. Definitely, Talia did not bag Crows. He actually thanked them and was grateful for the time spent with the club. He did express his opinion that Crows have some work to do before challenging for the top again. Most objective observers would agree with that.

You can't ignore not going to the b&f with the rest of his teammates. That's a rare event and not taken lightly. And again, he can bag away, I'd not complain one bit. But isolating senior teammates from everyone else says something about his attitude and the senior player culture that we've heard a bit about over the last few years.

On making finals, it's disappointing to hear that it's even being discussed internally. But I've always felt our rebuild would only ever be about maximising our chances of falling into the 8 and then as Stephen Trigg told us, "make the 8 and anything can happen". He's right to call that rubbish out.

Didn't Adelaide basically strip an award at their B&F from a guy who was leaving in the past? That stuff kills culture so not sure people can be surprised another guy who is leaving has decided to skip it.
IIRC Gunston was supposed to be attending the B&F and decided to pack his bags and head home to mummy first which left the crows high and dry. It was no wonder they pulled his award and reallocated it

Dissappointing from Dan..

This is a bloke thats been paid in the vicinity of $700-$850k this year, is loved by the fans, his team mates and the club.

The club has made a decision for the future of the list and its the right one. Giving dan another contract would be utterly stupid for the club to do at this point and how things currently stand. I’m pretty sure no one at the club wouldve actually enjoyed having to take/make that difficult decision.

To throw his bum in the corner and not go to the B&F is childish at best.

And what a pathetic excuse.. “I cant go to the B&F because I’ll be training”… WTF??..

Didn't Adelaide basically strip an award at their B&F from a guy who was leaving in the past? That stuff kills culture so not sure people can be surprised another guy who is leaving has decided to skip it.

Ironically Talia being the recipient of the award as runner up. It's an easy troll, but it's off the mark. The Mark Bickley award recognises the on and off-field achievements of a first or second year player. I'd prefer the award not have been presented, but the manner of Gunner's departure most certainly ruled him ineligible. The club thought a deal was close and found out about his departure and non-attendance at the B&F whilst on his way to the airport. And I don't think Talia's year had him in the running for too much.

So he wants to move on, he wants to get fit, but was he talking in code or just poor english?

Does he not have nothing or something against the club?
Do
IIRC Gunston was supposed to be attending the B&F and decided to pack his bags and head home to mummy first which left the crows high and dry. It was no wonder they pulled his award and reallocated it

So who actually cracked the shits on this occasion

Do

So who actually cracked the shits on this occasion

Gunston's public reason was homesickness, so he asks for ridicule in that regard. I expect it was actually significantly more $. We had a philosophy that young players don't get paid on potential, you need to have already proven the value of your next contract by performing at the level in your current contract. But then you get max $ for years 27 to 32 to make up for it. Any wonder we bled talented kids and eventually ran into salary cap trouble while contending for (and winning) the spoon?

How busted is this guy's body?

If the Tiges think they're a chance for 2022 and want to do a Geelong (trade to stay in contention) I would be keen on Talia if his body is up to it. Could play another year or two and do a Brian Lake.

We have Balta looking good but Astbury just retired and Grimes is about 30 odd. Miller, not sure if he'll make it but I hope we try him out in 2022.

In his interview, Talia mentioned that yes, clubs expressed interest and there are
basically 3 options in front of him.

1. Family discussion should they stay in SA, possibly not continue the footy career.
2. Go to a team to assist re-build with his experience, leadership.
3. Go to flag contender.

Also it would have to be multiple years.

You can just change option 2 to $$$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dissappointing from Dan..

This is a bloke thats been paid in the vicinity of $700-$850k this year, is loved by the fans, his team mates and the club.

The club has made a decision for the future of the list and its the right one. Giving dan another contract would be utterly stupid for the club to do at this point and how things currently stand. I’m pretty sure no one at the club wouldve actually enjoyed having to take/make that difficult decision.

To throw his bum in the corner and not go to the B&F is childish at best.

And what a pathetic excuse.. “I cant go to the B&F because I’ll be training”… WTF??..

He essentially got fired. Would you go to your works christmas party if you had just gotten fired? Talia bled Adelaide, was a loyal player, and from his eyes had done nothing wrong and still got shafted. I am not saying you are wrong of course, only that I see both points of view.

He essentially got fired. Would you go to your works christmas party if you had just gotten fired? Talia bled Adelaide, was a loyal player, and from his eyes had done nothing wrong and still got shafted. I am not saying you are wrong of course, only that I see both points of view.

Pretty much this, It's certainly fair enough if Talia doesn't feel like going to a BnF for a club that has surprisingly (well, somewhat) dumped him.

I assume there is a lot of processing that needs to be done here with Daniel, seeing without a doubt his world has been rocked in the last fortnight.

Pretty much this, It's certainly fair enough if Talia doesn't feel like going to a BnF for a club that has surprisingly (well, somewhat) dumped him.

I assume there is a lot of processing that needs to be done here with Daniel, seeing without a doubt his world has been rocked in the last fortnight.

Surely the convos between club and Talia’s management have been going on for a while. I’m surprised it’s come as a total shock.

If the Tiges think they're a chance for 2022 and want to do a Geelong (trade to stay in contention) I would be keen on Talia if his body is up to it. Could play another year or two and do a Brian Lake.

We have Balta looking good but Astbury just retired and Grimes is about 30 odd. Miller, not sure if he'll make it but I hope we try him out in 2022.

Pretty busted. Like all our senior players, he puts up his hand regardless of how injured. Played out last year on a torn meniscus and admitted he couldn’t train and could barely turn and it blew up all the time. He said years ago that he had to do more than the rest to get up each week. He was one I always expected to fall off a cliff. Maybe the year with no battering has done him good, but I’m doubtful.

Pretty busted. Like all our senior players, he puts up his hand regardless of how injured. Played out last year on a torn meniscus and admitted he couldn’t train and could barely turn and it blew up all the time. He said years ago that he had to do more than the rest to get up each week. He was one I always expected to fall off a cliff. Maybe the year with no battering has done him good, but I’m doubtful.

Cheers

I guess you wonder if he's finished or could do a Mumford?

There really is such thing as a blameless outcome. I know it’s a concept much like a unicorn on BigFooty, but it exists, even within the walls of West Lakes.

He had a knee injury, then a foot injury, and sometimes foot injuries can be a difficult recovery process. From the Crows perspective they might have kept him on for a few years if his injury looked like improving, but we have the depth in that position, and his injury didn’t progress, so we move him on. Not an unreasonable call in my opinion.

Not Talia’s fault either, he’s frustrated as he seems loyal to the club, but he can’t get his body just right yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There really is such thing as a blameless outcome. I know it’s a concept much like a unicorn on BigFooty, but it exists, even within the walls of West Lakes.

He had a knee injury, then a foot injury, and sometimes foot injuries can be a difficult recovery process. From the Crows perspective they might have kept him on for a few years if his injury looked like improving, but we have the depth in that position, and his injury didn’t progress, so we move him on. Not an unreasonable call in my opinion.

Not Talia’s fault either, he’s frustrated as he seems loyal to the club, but he can’t get his body just right yet.

I expect that Dan's initial contract expectation would have meant a rookie spot on a base plus games would've been seen as an insult as well. I expect the parties would never have found middle ground so it was always going to end with the club walking away.

Of course. Much like Adelaide can't be blamed for dumping him, no one can blame Talia for most likely feeling a bit rejected and not wanting to be involved further with them.

Of course. Much like Adelaide can't be blamed for dumping him, no one can blame Talia for most likely feeling a bit rejected and not wanting to be involved further with them.

How common is it for delisted players to refuse to attend the b&f? I don't blame him for being pissed at list management and coaches, but they're not the whole club. He never took a stand when they did it to past teammates. Isolating only the senior players as who he'll catch up with for a beer with is pretty rare behaviour too.

Last edited:

We wouldn't need to trade, which is the only reason we might entertain this.

IMO, we are better off looking to the future and investing in Balta and Miller as our two first choice big KPDs.

The guy was a gun, but he's 30 in a couple of months and we need to be mindful that he didn't play at all in 2021 which is not a promising sign.

So he'd need to be willing to not be paid a fortune, he'd need to pass a medical, and he'd need to be willing to be behind some younger players if/when we need to make the call to look to the future.

If we do recruit him, then it looks like we are rolling the dice on trying to win another flag in 2022 as opposed to a more future focus which would be playing Balta + Miller instead of Balta + Talia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back