ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
This was on the WCE site but thought it deserved its own thread on the main board due to the importance of concussion in the current game.

This is a wonderful video, I encourage everyone to watch and post your thoughts.

20 year old premiership player that's been out of the game for two years

I truly hope he can make a comeback, courageous kid.

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I truly hope he can make a comeback
In some ways, I almost hope he doesn't. Seems like he'd always be one more head knock away from some real long-term problems. Rather see a young guy walk away for the good of their health than come back and get hurt.

We've seen too many stories lately of guys having issues later in life due to this stuff; Frawley & Tuck for example.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Only watched 5 minutes but from what I can tell I hope he doesn’t come back. His quality of life already seems permanently impacted from that incident. He’d be crazy to risk making that worse.

ashep

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Only half way through but this is an incredible video.

Full credit to Venables and the club for putting this out there and being so transparent.

Uncomfortable viewing.

master bate

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hard to feel like there wasn't some bigger unseen pathology that occurred. There has to be some kind of damage that they couldn't quantify with typical scans. I'm glad they've called it a traumatic brain injury, because whilst all concussions are exactly that this one is clearly more than the standard head knock.

And people don't like this when I say it but I find it hard to believe there isn't a mental health aspect at play. The initial injury is so bad that it tricks the brain in to further symptoms. The same kind of things as chronic fatigue. It becomes a complex illness with so much at play. Physical damage, cellular damage, perhaps and immune response and then likely a mental health problem as well. That's not in anyway saying his symptoms aren't real, it's just everything is mixed in together.

There's a question about whether he should play again. But I reckon he should stay in the game until he's healthy, that's for sure. Staying in the game gets him constant medical care and can progress one step at a time.

Igavemyloveachicken

Senior List
May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hard to feel like there wasn't some bigger unseen pathology that occurred. There has to be some kind of damage that they couldn't quantify with typical scans. I'm glad they've called it a traumatic brain injury, because whilst all concussions are exactly that this one is clearly more than the standard head knock.

And people don't like this when I say it but I find it hard to believe there isn't a mental health aspect at play. The initial injury is so bad that it tricks the brain in to further symptoms. The same kind of things as chronic fatigue. It becomes a complex illness with so much at play. Physical damage, cellular damage, perhaps and immune response and then likely a mental health problem as well. That's not in anyway saying his symptoms aren't real, it's just everything is mixed in together.

There's a question about whether he should play again. But I reckon he should stay in the game until he's healthy, that's for sure. Staying in the game gets him constant medical care and can progress one step at a time.
I agree that there might be an underlying issue not diagnosed....I've been diagnosed with a severe form of obstructive sleep apnea and his symptoms present as extremely familiar.

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth

Yea i tend to agree
Staying in the system seems to be good for him at this stage

kaiserchief13

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
It's easy for people to say yeah you got to retire......but he's 20 years old....he trained hard for the past 10 years to get his chance at an AFL career and then got it. Why should he give up when he is 20 years old? The (mental) health issue that comes from retiring when he is not ready for that vs the health issues that could come if he gets concussed in future. Either way it's his life and his choice.

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
It's easy for people to say yeah you got to retire......but he's 20 years old....he trained hard for the past 10 years to get his chance at an AFL career and then got it. Why should he give up when he is 20 years old? The (mental) health issue that comes from retiring when he is not ready for that vs the health issues that could come if he gets concussed in future. Either way it's his life and his choice.
He is so young still, so the club couldn't offer him a coaching role.
But you hope they can offer hi m something if he cant play again.

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The scary thing about Venables is that he has only played 21 games and got KOd once.

You hear horror stories about retired NFL players who spent their careers banging heads (in helmets, which protects the skull but not movement of the brain within the skull) and other athletes who have suffered repeated head knocks but it can all be as simple as one freak collision.

Altum Volantes

92 - 94 - 06 - 18
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
The scary thing about Venables is that he has only played 21 games and got KOd once.

You hear horror stories about retired NFL players who spent their careers banging heads (in helmets, which protects the skull but not movement of the brain within the skull) and other athletes who have suffered repeated head knocks but it can all be as simple as one freak collision.
This is what I take from DV’s case more than anything - it can all be over (or close to it) in a second. Could have been Brad Sheppard last weekend, or any of the other guys missing this week with a concussion. Scary stuff.

The Passenger

Freak Power
Mar 25, 2003
AFL Club
West Coast
This is what I take from DV’s case more than anything - it can all be over (or close to it) in a second. Could have been Brad Sheppard last weekend, or any of the other guys missing this week with a concussion. Scary stuff.
It really is a fine line. Different sport, but Sidney Crosby has missed roughly a season and a half of his career due to concussion. Most of that was when he was 23/24 so only a couple of years older than Venables. Crosby has put it behind him and racked up one of the great NHL careers and will be a first ballot half of famer, so there is a path back.

But so many issues don't get discovered till after a players career is behind them and the accumulation of all these hits starts to add. On top of that you have a number of sportsmen who struggle to adapt back till a more normal life after experiencing the highs and lows of playing high stakes sport in front of huge crowds.

Given the amount of legal action that is starting to take place, especially in the US, it's easy to see why many sporting codes are taking protective measures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I am glad WCE have supported him for a decent amount of time even if the cost was a list spot.

I sm thinking it will come to a conclusion at the end of the season unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad