Nov 6, 2002
End of the Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/19/2166114.htm?site=wa

Two men face jail over police bashing

Posted February 19, 2008 07:35:00
Updated February 19, 2008 08:16:00

A Perth judge has told two men they are likely to be jailed for assaulting police officers during a brawl at Meektharra two years ago.

Leonard Wells and Peter Laylan stood trial accused of bashing three constables who had gone to the Meekathara Hotel to try to break up a brawl that erupted after a funeral in March 2006.

The jury deliberated for more than five hours before convicting Laylan of two charges of assaulting a public officer and Wells of one charge.

Wells, who is the father of A-F-L player, Daniel Wells, was found not guilty of another charge of causing grievous bodily harm to a third constable who suffered a broken eye socket.

District Court Judge Kate O'Brien remanded the men in custody telling them a jail term was likely when they are sentenced in April.

She said in her view the officers had done nothing whatsoever to provoke the assaults.

Unioin disappointed

The President of the Western Australian Police Union, Mike Dean, says it is disappointing no one will be held accountable for a constable being left with a broken eye socket and temporary loss of vision.

"Well I think it certainly shows that when violence starts the consequences for not only police officers but anyone can be horrendous," he said.

"If it was not him it was someone else, and I think it's deplorable that people get away with this kind of conduct.

"Obviously the charges that they've been found guilty on we look forward to the Judge's sentencing on those charges."

Um Ripper, Sorry to complain against you here but what if it was your old man who did this? Would you want somebody on here posting a link about the charges and what your old man did? Somehow I don't think so.

Leave Daniel Wells and his family alone. Just because the person happens to be Wells' old man like every private matter, it should be kept private.

The President of the Western Australian Police Union, Mike Dean, says it is disappointing no one will be held accountable for a constable being left with a broken eye socket and temporary loss of vision.
Equally disappointing is that nobody is ever held accountable for the amount of drugs that go missing after police drug raids.

My point was that it is a bit rich when the coppers' union bleats about accountability given the cooruption that pervades police forces throughout the country.

I think it is fair enough to say that a copper trying to do his job doesn't deserve to be bashed senseless by a drunken mob. Don't really know what missing drugs has to do with the issue.

Just because a very small minority of police are 'corrupt' (I believe this is overblown by media and tv shows anyway) does not mean that all police deserve to be treated with the disrespect that they get from some people in the community. The insinuation that it is ok to bash a police officer because some of them are 'corrupt' (again overblown) is ridiculous.

As an aside: After just reading on the big footy forum for years I find it hilarious that my first ever post will be having a go at Chief, but I feel that it is justified considering what a preposterous statement he made. I hope I don't cop a card :(

As an aside: After just reading on the big footy forum for years I find it hilarious that my first ever post will be having a go at Chief, but I feel that it is justified considering what a preposterous statement he made. I hope I don't cop a card :(

Don't worry mate, chief has to keep the numbers up for the advertising revenue. I think you are quite safe. :)

My point was that it is a bit rich when the coppers' union bleats about accountability given the cooruption that pervades police forces throughout the country.

W.A. cops don't even have random drug testing.

I agree with the idea if you hit a cop and are convicted of assault then you should get can. I'm aware that cops can be pigs and often they make their own problems. The obvious answer is avoid cops. Yes sir no sir three bags full sir, after you've convinced them youre harmless get on with life.

I'd like to see the cops get drug and alcohol tested every time they taser, shoot, car chase, get involved in a fight or other like activity.

It is one of those anomolies that allows the guys who drive fast cars and carry guns not subject to testing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back