Oppo Camp Daniel Wells signs with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know he wants the money? Maybe he wants success and a chance at a flag before retirement? For the record, I have no idea whether he wants money or a flag(s). Just curious. Agree he is a massive risk injury wise, but we tend to roll the dice on guys with an injury history.

You are right I have no idea whats on his mind. But wed on SEN they of course discussed this and indicated that North offered him something like a qtr maybe even less in the new offer and made it contingent more on playing footy rather than on a fixed salary. Brayshaw indicated that given the limited value from him with max money in his last contract Pickers should look at the loyalty the club has shown. Moreover i have heard this three times now that he "...has many mouths to feed..." . Also he doesn't have a ready made solid career straight after footy. He needs this last bit of money to set him up and the Woods are offering that.

I can't imagine why we'd want him. He's not that good and he is really crap when the chips are down: and this ducking business makes me uncomfortable. North people like him allot but I can't see the fascination.

This 8 hours ago:
A guaranteed $100,000 pay rise could push North Melbourne free agent Daniel Wells to Collingwood next year.

The Kangaroos’ latest offer for their veteran midfielder is for two years at $400,000 a season plus trigger clauses for added financial incentive earnings of up to $150,000 a year.

However, The Australian understands the Wells camp is not enamoured with North’s offer, preferring instead an understanding that the Magpies are prepared to pay a guaranteed $500,000 a season for Wells in a deal that could be stretched over three years.

Andare gatti!!

Bring in Wells and who do you leave out of our midfield? You have Danger, Selwood, Selwood, Guthrie, Duncan and Menegola, is Wells going to just come in and replace one of those, pretty sure if GFC went to him and said your going to be a depth player for us he would pack his bags for Collingwood...hence why I cant see it happening, if he was a defender then yes but we dont need more midfielders especially if GHS, Murdoch etc are kept on the list.

Brian Lake was 31 when he played his first game for Hawthorn. He retired a Norm Smith winning triple premiership player. He had a mountain of on field and off field issues at Footscray along with huge injury problems.

You have Dangerfield and Selwood to bludgeon the ball forward, nothing wrong with a bit a outside silk delivering it.

If he can fill a specific need that the club identifies and he doesn't cost much then I don't see a problem with it.

Hawthorn needed footy smarts and skill, they got Burgoyne. They needed ruckmen, they got Hale, Ceglar and McEvoy. They need a gorilla defender they got Lake.

Obviously you don't go overboard but if you identify a gap and can target someone to fill that role in the short term while you're in your window then why not?
This is a great point. We constantly hear this whining about how this is Geelong's window and if we don't win this year, we won't win for the next five because of GWS and WB. But the Hawks are doing the exact same thing. Develop just enough young talent, have some superstars and top up with hungry older talent seeking premierships.

It can go wrong, but we've seen two teams do it for a little while now (us and the Hawks) and stay up the top.

We have plenty of inside grunt - Danger, Selwood, Selwood, Caddy, Menegola (that's why GHS can't get a game) - what we need is more outside speed and silk through the middle. Duncan provides a bit, maybe Guthrie, maybe Motlop on his day, who else? Cockatoo & Lang aren't there yet. Murdoch I'm sure was earmarked for it but looks like he's out of favour and probably needs to go.

I like the Wells idea because he could provide that, and it would complement us so well. Same with Deledio, which I'm sure is why we've put our hand up for him too. If we can get either of them as a UFA and not have to pay them much salary (the sell would be winning a flag, not padding out the bank account), then I think it could be a big plus for us.

This is a great point. We constantly hear this whining about how this is Geelong's window and if we don't win this year, we won't win for the next five because of GWS and WB. But the Hawks are doing the exact same thing. Develop just enough young talent, have some superstars and top up with hungry older talent seeking premierships.

It can go wrong, but we've seen two teams do it for a little while now (us and the Hawks) and stay up the top.

As MaybeItsGreg posted, if you get him for what you're prepared to pay, at the minimum, he's high class insurance. He has a preseason including practice games to push his case, same as everyone else on the list. If it warrants it, then he plays seniors. He doesn't get games because he's a recruit and it would look bad if he were playing VFL, he gets games because at that point in time, he's better than whoever it is that he's keeping out.

Depends on his motivations too I guess. Is he chasing success or money?

I wonder if we could use him off half back? We do need more run from there.
That's not a bad idea. Maybe it depends on what happens with Lonergan and Enright next year as well - if they both go, along with I assume Bartel, then there are 2.5 slots suddenly available in the defensive half. I'm just keen not to keep Bews, Cowan and Ruggles out of the team unnecessarily as well, when they have all shown that they can be AFL-grade players but need the exposure.

Brian Lake was 31 when he played his first game for Hawthorn. He retired a Norm Smith winning triple premiership player. He had a mountain of on field and off field issues at Footscray along with huge injury problems.

You have Dangerfield and Selwood to bludgeon the ball forward, nothing wrong with a bit a outside silk delivering it.

If he can fill a specific need that the club identifies and he doesn't cost much then I don't see a problem with it.

Hawthorn needed footy smarts and skill, they got Burgoyne. They needed ruckmen, they got Hale, Ceglar and McEvoy. They need a gorilla defender they got Lake.

Obviously you don't go overboard but if you identify a gap and can target someone to fill that role in the short term while you're in your window then why not?

Getting Wells would be going overboard. Lake made sense for Hawthorn, they spent the last 3 years getting beaten up by KPFs and to top it off the Bulldogs paid a portion of his wage. Everyone always points out Lake but somehow forgets the former Melbourne midfielder Bruce who spent the bulk of his time in Hawthorn playing for Box Hill.

Burgoyne was 27 when they got him, Hale 26, McEvoy 24 and Celgar was a rookie selection. Completely different from Wells. The guys we picked up in the last offseason were similar, Dangerfield, S.Seloowd,Henderson and Smith were all 26. Each provided attributes that we either didn't have at the club or in the case of Henderson to fill a gap that was going to open in the short term future. And they're all going to be around for a while.

We're talking about a 32 year outside mid with his injury history that wants multi year contract on high dollars. Most importantly Wells doesn't fill a gap in our list.

Wells is a gun when he is up and running, but I'd rather give his spot to Cockatoo who has shown that he might become a gun too. The difference here is one is 32, one is 19

This is the one I find strange. Its debatable whether Geelong will be benefit from recruiting these older guys as our premiership window is somewhat open. Hence, you can have a good debate about it.

However, recruiting Wells, Mayne, Dal Santo, possibly Boyd (from WB) etc is just crazy for Collingwood. Their window isn't open and this will just deprive the young guys of games. I don't even know if it saves Buckley his job as they will have to play too much of a primary role at Collingwood and not be supplementary players.

Its the strangest thing I've heard this offseason and surely Collingwood aren't going down that path despite all the commentary.

In fairness to Collingwood, their list is pretty inexperienced and bringing across 1-2 of those players might just be the leadership boost they need. Wonder how they plan on fitting them all under the cap though? Could Eddie be going down the Big Jack route of brown paper bags?

Only happy to make a play for Wells if Bartel and Enright both retire at season's end (would be disappointed if this eventuates, strongly doubt the latter will anyway) and provided he comes at the right price. He'd give us some drive off HB that might otherwise lack without those two. Still, it would compromise the younger route the GFC have generally headed down over the past few years and fly in the face of decisions to chop SJ, Chapman, Kelly, etc.

Our midfield is pretty stacked at the moment and we need to keep backing guys like Duncan and Guthrie in. Thurlow in gives us some pace off half back and hopefully next season Cockatoo and Lang slot in. If we were to recruit, best to top up in that 26-28 year old age bracket than the 30+ guys. I wouldn't vehemently be against a move, but it's not one I think we need to push hard for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we could use him off half back? We do need more run from there.
Thats one recipe guaranteed to cause heartburn. If we want run play Bews back there..but Motlop is too self minded to be a good defender imo. Is my issue with Cockatoo but maybe he could be taught , and he does have that presence about him

Thats one recipe guaranteed to cause heartburn. If we want run play Bews back there..but Motlop is too self minded to be a good defender imo. Is my issue with Cockatoo but maybe he could be taught , and he does have that presence about him

Next year if no one comes in "ear marked for the running half back role" we have to play Bews. Even if he has to go back to the VFL (or start there ) he must be given a more attacking role IMO (in VFL). He has the side step and kicking off either foot and enough pace to make a decent go of filling our most pressing hole.

Next year if no one comes in "ear marked for the running half back role" we have to play Bews. Even if he has to go back to the VFL (or start there ) he must be given a more attacking role IMO (in VFL). He has the side step and kicking off either foot and enough pace to make a decent go of filling our most pressing hole.

I think its his most natural role , a bit like Wojo.

Is it an obvious need? We already have Motlop playing in that role.
I think we're very clearly short of outside speed and class. If Motlop played at a high level week in, week out it might be a different story but I think he's demonstrated he's just not going to be that kind of player. Having another outside user - be it Wells, Deledio or someone else - also gives us the option of pushing Motlop forward more often in games, which addresses the other big weakness of a lack of creativity in the forward line.

I think we're very clearly short of outside speed and class. If Motlop played at a high level week in, week out it might be a different story but I think he's demonstrated he's just not going to be that kind of player. Having another outside user - be it Wells, Deledio or someone else - also gives us the option of pushing Motlop forward more often in games, which addresses the other big weakness of a lack of creativity in the forward line.

Who does he replace in the side? The Guthrie move into the guts in the Q Final shows a need for pace used by talent. Is he that player?

there is definitely a spot for him

bartel is cooked, lonergan is cooked or should be pushed out

bews and ruggles are limited depth players

lang and cocky should get more games next year

thurlow will be eased back into the team

and its not like we wont get injuries again

there is definitely a spot for him

bartel is cooked, lonergan is cooked or should be pushed out

bews and ruggles are limited depth players

lang and cocky should get more games next year

thurlow will be eased back into the team

and its not like we wont get injuries again
Not sure about Lang,he is a tryer but has to many bad turnovers for mine,not a good sign for a young
player going forward.

As good as Wells is when fully fit, I just can't understand why Geelong would get rid of Stevie J and Kelly and then go out and sign a guy that will be 32 years old by Round 1, just screams bullshit to me.
You know the saying,"a change is as good as a holiday". Kelly had a good season this year but was a bit down for us last year and
Johnson,well he had to be annoying just about everybody. Stevie was getting a lot of the ball but had way to many turnovers and
when he cracked it openly and demonstrably at Ethiad when Walker didn't give him the ball,I thought to myself,that is the last straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back