Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who could we have taken that provides his skill set.

If you say, we should have just drafted a player, you are joking.

We had no real high picks, we already have an unbelievably young list and we had plenty of cap space.

Wells was a no brainer as a free agent.
Yes but a 3-year deal lacked future thinking, and I feel we've done a bit of that recently. Mayne and Wells' contracts were overs to fill the cap in the short term but in the long term when we have to pay up for JDG, Moore and so on, they'll still be there. We've also done our fair share of sending away future picks.

For two years, why not? 3 years was too many, even if it meant he would stay at North if 2 was our final offer. I hope there's some sort of clause that lets us release him after a couple of years if he doesn't meet a certain game number.

Wells made sense given what he offers, what we lack and wasn't significant overs on what North were offering, but the bolded is incorrect.

Our age profile is middle of the road and we'd have close to the most players between the ages of 22-28 in the league. We definitely aren't a young team.
We are like the 6th youngest in the league im pretty sure which is pretty young

Nothing would be the implication. Both are Free Agents.
And Wicksy's implication was that both clubs would match any offer, which is the most likely scenario.

We are like the 6th youngest in the league im pretty sure which is pretty young

Not quite. Eighth youngest and sixth most experienced.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-03/total-list-breakdown-all-the-key-stats

We lost access to the youth card two years ago and we're now very much approaching the list sweet spot hence the pressure on the coach to get some improvement out of the group!

And Wicksy's implication was that both clubs would match any offer, which is the most likely scenario.

Perhaps. I'll let him step in on that. I'm inclined to think that way as well, but not signing Wells and Mayne would have put is in a much stronger position to blow them out of the water ala Daisy.

Not quite. Eighth youngest and sixth most experienced.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-03/total-list-breakdown-all-the-key-stats

We lost access to the youth card two years ago and we're now very much approaching the list sweet spot hence the pressure on the coach to get some improvement out of the group!

Perhaps. I'll let him step in on that. I'm inclined to think that way as well, but not signing Wells and Mayne would have put is in a much stronger position to blow them out of the water ala Daisy.
I don't think Daisy is a good example TBH. If it was 2011 Daisy and not bung foot Daisy we would have matched any offer in a heartbeat. If Fyfe plays a full year Freo will match anything thrown their way.

I don't think Daisy is a good example TBH. If it was 2011 Daisy and not bung foot Daisy we would have matched any offer in a heartbeat. If Fyfe plays a full year Freo will match anything thrown their way.

It was bung foot Daisy though its a bit like your sliding doors comment re Swan. Have to deal in facts and we would have kept him on if he wasn't offered a bonkers deal.

I haven't got a good handle on Fremantle's salary cap so I can't speculate on it only to say that contracting Wells and Mayne has limited our ability to go after them in a serious way. Not that I think its the right play either just the discussion.

In terms of Daisy I would assume the club prioritised certain players based on ability, professionalism, past and projected future performance and expected compensation. Realistically its not a stretch to imagine that he was rated behind Pendles, Swan, Beams, Sidebottom. In addition we also had Didak and Ball most likely on unders at that point and it becomes crystal clear why Daisy's offer wasnt matched. Considering first round compensation we received it was the correct decision every day of the week.

Personally I think Fyfe will agree to terms with Fremantle.

It was bung foot Daisy though its a bit like your sliding doors comment re Swan. Have to deal in facts and we would have kept him on if he wasn't offered a bonkers deal.

I haven't got a good handle on Fremantle's salary cap so I can't speculate on it only to say that contracting Wells and Mayne has limited our ability to go after them in a serious way. Not that I think its the right play either just the discussion.
My point was though, if Daisy was the Daisy we knew before he did his ankle the club would have matched any offer, no matter how bonkers, and forced a trade. Just as I suspect the Tigers and Freo will do with Martin and Fyfe, Fyfe because he's the best mid in the game when fit, and Martin because the Tigers are idiots.
In terms of Daisy I would assume the club prioritised certain players based on ability, professionalism, past and projected future performance and expected compensation. Realistically its not a stretch to imagine that he was rated behind Pendles, Swan, Beams, Sidebottom. In addition we also had Didak and Ball most likely on unders at that point and it becomes crystal clear why Daisy's offer wasnt matched. Considering first round compensation we received it was the correct decision every day of the week.

Personally I think Fyfe will agree to terms with Fremantle.
Don't disagree, except by that point Dids and Ball were cooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy with picking up Wells as he fills such an obvious need in our list. The 3 years seems a year too long but can live with that. The calf at the moment is a worry but no deal breaker. He has a history here and has overcome these injuries and played excellent footy recently.

I don't think we had any better option for filling this spot on the list was a natural get. Scodog10@s point re compromising a future FA pick in the only other consideration here and its speculative. When Wells was getable am happy we went with him.

New player pay deal will balance out Wells' and Mayne's contracts
Problem is 17 other clubs will all get them same increased TPP.

Problem is 17 other clubs will all get them same increased TPP.
True, but their own players will be looking to get paid somewhere along the same level as Mayne and Wells or perhaps even looking for extra. How many would we have out of contract? Hoping we have locked away our key players for a few years allowing us to open up

True, but their own players will be looking to get paid somewhere along the same level as Mayne and Wells or perhaps even looking for extra. How many would we have out of contract? Hoping we have locked away our key players for a few years allowing us to open up
You would think all clubs will be planning for it.

Some will fail, some will get it right, I just hope we nail it.

You would think all clubs will be planning for it.

Some will fail, some will get it right, I just hope we nail it.
Clubs would want to sign players up early under the current salary cap requirements. Every player coming out of contract when the new TPP gets approved is less money in the bucket for a marquee player. We have Wells, Mayne, Sidebottom, Pendlebury already signed up- anyone else? We paid Keeffe and Thomas last year without them playing, so hopefully they wouldn't be on much on their next contract.

Clubs would want to sign players up early under the current salary cap requirements. Every player coming out of contract when the new TPP gets approved is less money in the bucket for a marquee player. We have Wells, Mayne, Sidebottom, Pendlebury already signed up- anyone else? We paid Keeffe and Thomas last year without them playing, so hopefully they wouldn't be on much on their next contract.

There's no way we would have been allowed to pay them. We kept them on the Rookie list but surely we didn't pay them???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back