Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt he's important, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. What would be considered a success if that's a massive one? 10-12 games? Not criticizing because that's what I expect from him so its just a bizarre statement, IMO.
Expectations vary Sco, our ball usage last year was disgusting and hasn't been flash for some time. Wells is the antithesis of poor ball usage and as such demands a high value opponent or stopper which releases Pendlebury/Treloar from such attention.
Ball usage improvement has been one of the themes of our signings, in fact probably the most damaging injuries have been those to Shazza who I am guessing was a key component to our rebuild plans.

You can take his comments a few ways.

1. Buckley is expectation setting. Fans won't be too upset if Wells misses a few games because the club is immediately setting our expectations that Wells will be managed throughout the season.

or

2. Wells has come to the club in a lot worse shape than we first expected, and the club has had to reset their expectations about what we can reasonably get out of him as a player.

Personally, I think Buckley is expectation setting more than anything. Set the bar relatively low so anything more is considered a success.

I tend to agree it is a bizarre statement for a player who is attracting such large coin. A player who is good for about 15 games is more suited to a club right in a premiership window. Not a team like us that is trying to rebuild.

That said, it could be recruiting genius if he make the finals.

I suppose time will tell.

Oh wow we went out and targeted a bloke that will be considered a "massive success" if he plays less than 70% of matches for the rest of his career. That's bizarre!

It is pretty bizarre. Especially since he's with us for 3 years! I guess it was part of the Gubby Allan influence -- get some class on the field for immediate success. But... if Wells does play 15 games a year, I'm happy. Less and I'm unhappy.

Delivery inside fifty has been a major problem at the club for a number of recent years, the acquisition of Wells was to address this area. Good acquisition in my opinion.
I understand it is only a scratch match but JLT Round 1, Essendon 73 percent disposal efficiency, 37 inside fifties at 70 percent efficiency with 26 shots at goal. Marks inside fifty 12, tackles inside fifty 11. Collingwood 74 percent disposal efficiency, 50 inside fifties at 54 percent efficiency with 28 shots at goal. 13 marks inside fifty, 11 tackles inside fifty . You can look at these stats and come up with any conclusion you want but what is happening to our scoring efficiency when we go inside fifty?????
I believe it is related to pace of ball movement, skill of ball movement and pressure around the footy. Wells, Treloar, Aish, WHE, Smith, Phillips, Sier and Daicos are all recently acquired players drafted to improve ball movement and forward fifty entries.

You can take his comments a few ways.

1. Buckley is expectation setting. Fans won't be too upset if Wells misses a few games because the club is immediately setting our expectations that Wells will be managed throughout the season.

or

2. Wells has come to the club in a lot worse shape than we first expected, and the club has had to reset their expectations about what we can reasonably get out of him as a player.

Personally, I think Buckley is expectation setting more than anything. Set the bar relatively low so anything more is considered a success.

I tend to agree it is a bizarre statement for a player who is attracting such large coin. A player who is good for about 15 games is more suited to a club right in a premiership window. Not a team like us that is trying to rebuild.

That said, it could be recruiting genius if he make the finals.

I suppose time will tell.

Whats the difference between a player who can play 15 very good to elite games a year vs a player like Blair who only performs in 5 games for the year but plays in all?

I'd rather the 15 gamer.

Delivery inside fifty has been a major problem at the club for a number of recent years, the acquisition of Wells was to address this area. Good acquisition in my opinion.
I understand it is only a scratch match but JLT Round 1, Essendon 73 percent disposal efficiency, 37 inside fifties at 70 percent efficiency with 26 shots at goal. Marks inside fifty 12, tackles inside fifty 11. Collingwood 74 percent disposal efficiency, 50 inside fifties at 54 percent efficiency with 28 shots at goal. 13 marks inside fifty, 11 tackles inside fifty . You can look at these stats and come up with any conclusion you want but what is happening to our scoring efficiency when we go inside fifty?????
I believe it is related to pace of ball movement, skill of ball movement and pressure around the footy. Wells, Treloar, Aish, WHE, Smith, Phillips, Sier and Daicos are all recently acquired players drafted to improve ball movement and forward fifty entries.

The game against the bummers it was just as much about structures as anything else.

We opted for 1 or 2 loose in defense which afforded the Bumbers the same luxury. We still allowed players to get sucked up the ground and got beaten by quick movement over the top.

In Buckley's Era of coach, he has had few players who have played more than 15 games a year, if he could get 15 games from best 22 players it would be a considered a success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with what Buckley said for mine. Been a lot of positives that has seem to come out in the media about individuality this year which never seems to occur.

The best clubs can manage individual loads and find the optimal place in the season to do it. 15 is a realistic goal for Wells. Despite the fact he has an obvious injury history he would still be considered a best player for us, good clubs keep their best players fit for when they're needed not fit for the entire season especially when they're north of the 30 mark.

Other point to make he he said 15 games a year for 3 years. If we have Wells play 15 games in 2017,8 and 9 we will be satisfied. Even happier if he plays more.

Remember what Bucks puts out there may not exactly correlate with internal expectations. Doesn't need that much read into it.

So Daniel Wells who played 17 games last year has played 243 games arrives as a free agent....
Is silky smooth* and highly skilled... and we are worried why?
It's all a big bonus whatever he does (because he'll do it so well)

*if many of us are game enough, we might admit, secretly, we loved watching him play over the years.
Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but he was something to watch.... a little non Collingwood indulgence....

(North is a funny club, over the years they've had some beauties to watch quietly do their stuff. None better than Keith Grieg, I was only a kid, but he was elegance and magic to watch)

Oh my bad I missed the past three years it seems where we flicked the switch and became contenders?
What will we be doing on these threads if we do turn it around and become contenders?
Half the material (doom and gloom) will be gone.
The other half (too saccharine)

Be interesting.

What will we be doing on these threads if we do turn it around and become contenders?
Half the material (doom and gloom) will be gone.
The other half (too saccharine)

Be interesting.

Saccharine Saintly..............really?

Let's achieve it first (sustained success) and then become judgmental on all the negative nellies around here.

Saccharine Saintly..............really?

Let's achieve it first (sustained success) and then become judgmental on all the negative nellies around here.
I'll leave the judgmental to others.
I'll just enjoy the sustained success, should it happen.

I've been fortunate watching us win flags. I still have one football mega dream, having our side be an "era" team, ie win multiple flags in a given period.

But need a quality list, and then some. That's the challenge

I'll leave the judgmental to others.
I'll just enjoy the sustained success, should it happen.

I've been fortunate watching us win flags. I still have one football mega dream, having our side be an "era" team, ie win multiple flags in a given period.

But need a quality list, and then some. That's the challenge

Flags Sir Saintly?

If you don't mind me asking how old are you?

Flags Sir Saintly?

If you don't mind me asking how old are you?
Old enough to attend 1990
Young enough to attend the next one

Young enough to attend the next one

Let's hope that is true. I've seen what my ancestors have had to suffer through to see a Collingwood premiership in their lifetime.
I do not want there to be another 20 year gap before our next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back