Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we wait and see, but the way you spell "retirement" for a player over 32 is "calf 2-3 weeks".

Timmy, our list is young and the experianced players have never been quality leaders which is what we need and won't be around by the time we are challanging for anything. Let me swap Didak & Davis for Cloke then. Our list management is all over the place. We are meanderring aimlessly wishing for results to materialise but the people making bad calls keep making bad calls and while they are there we won't improve much if at all. It's all relevent. It starts at the top and filters down. We are just poorly run these days.

I'm expecting it to take a few weeks for Wells to show what he's really got, but have no doubts, if he stays fit he's one of our best 5 players, maybe even top 3 at the club.

I liked what Brent Harvey said the other day too, that Wells best may be yet to come, given he's going to be fed the ball from some absolute superstar mids.

Wells has never had service like he will get from Pendles, Treloar, Adams and Grundy.

The worry is the short breaks in the next few games, but if the game is on the line late, you want Daniel Wells out there, on your team.

I'm optimistic about Wells and can see reasons why we went after him.

Not sure about the teams around us, but we lost four games by 15 points or less. He potentially could have been the difference in those four games which puts us in the 8.

I'm expecting it to take a few weeks for Wells to show what he's really got, but have no doubts, if he stays fit he's one of our best 5 players, maybe even top 3 at the club.

I liked what Brent Harvey said the other day too, that Wells best may be yet to come, given he's going to be fed the ball from some absolute superstar mids.

Wells has never had service like he will get from Pendles, Treloar, Adams and Grundy.

The worry is the short breaks in the next few games, but if the game is on the line late, you want Daniel Wells out there, on your team.
Past his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez we must have been really slow last year to let Wells run circles around us last year theno_O

Is that the game where he was going to be alst minute withdrawal due to injury , right up to the second where he wasnt a last minute withdrawal ?

As for overweight slow and unfit, that I will agree with TG. Difference is I know he can run into form and trim down and recover the speed lost due to fatness and nothing else.

Is that the game where he was going to be alst minute withdrawal due to injury , right up to the second where he wasnt a last minute withdrawal ?

As for overweight slow and unfit, that I will agree with TG. Difference is I know he can run into form and trim down and recover the speed lost due to fatness and nothing else.
He won't recover at 32. Glad you agree though.

I won't mention the contract or the money but one of the only things we've done well recently is getting in a bloke who can kick a football, accurately.

It will probably be a fairly scrappy, contested game today, but hopefully we can feed Wells some footy on the outside where he can be really damaging.

In reality, I'd just like to see him get through unscathed.

Like I said not at 32. If he was 27 I'd give him a chance.

There are plenty of footballers in their mid 30s doing just fine. I give him a far greater chance than you clearly do. Its not as if he is coming back from a knee reco like Bob Murphy (who is going great guns). He is coming back from calf tightness. Something that needs to be managed but can be managed.

Wells is definitely a punt but this early its too soon to say the punt has definitely failed. Old ground now but we have room for a player in his age bracket (taking the total to one) and we can definitely use his skill.

Last edited:
There are plenty of footballers in their mid 30s doing just fine. I give him a far greater chance than you clearly do. Its not as if he is coming back from a knee reco like Bob Murphy (who is going great guns). He is coming back from calf tightness. Something that needs to be managed but can be managed.
Which footballers have put on weight at 32 though and come back to their best. He won't be anything like his best and fairest year at North. He's nearing the end and I don't expect much from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back