Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone expecting a 33 year old player to be the difference at Collingwood or for that matter any football club is delusional.

I think maybe better structured sentences, a point each sentence, and a line between sentences.

But I'm nearly 58 so what would I know.

For the record, I wasn't 1 of the Mayne $2m - 4 year deal people. I was always of the view that it was likely front loaded and likely pretty heavily performance based.

Probably the wrong place to come for standards, I’ve discovered.

Weren’t there triggers for the third year? He may not be with us next year.

Never the less, I’m still ok with us picking him up. Has shown us that his type is what we lack on our list. Leg speed, agility and kicking skills.

Weren’t there triggers for the third year? He may not be with us next year.

Never the less, I’m still ok with us picking him up. Has shown us that his type is what we lack on our list. Leg speed, agility and kicking skills.
I'm hoping that Wells can bring some others along to play a similar role, you can't replace class with no class but we have some talented guys join our ranks, Stephenson and Murphy, there's Cal Brown and Daicos. I'm still holding hopes that Aish might be that guy.

Was Wells picked up on his expensive contract because he was the best possible fit for our list, or because Buckley and the powers that be were desperate for instant success?

Was Wells picked up on his expensive contract because he was the best possible fit for our list, or because Buckley and the powers that be were desperate for instant success?

Wells is a fantastic user of the ball and he often opens up the play when he carries the ball. He finds good options. We don't have too many of those, and in fact Pendlebury is the sole exception. In short, we got Wells because too many of our forward entries have been squandered by s*** kicking.

As for 'instant success', I really don't think anyone saw Wells as the key ingredient for that...although I'm sure we hope that he can improve our performance in whatever games he manages to play.

Wells is a fantastic user of the ball and he often opens up the play when he carries the ball. He finds good options. We don't have too many of those, and in fact Pendlebury is the sole exception. In short, we got Wells because too many of our forward entries have been squandered by s*** kicking.

As for 'instant success', I really don't think anyone saw Wells as the key ingredient for that...although I'm sure we hope that he can improve our performance in whatever games he manages to play.

The only possible reason to bring in a 33 year old is for instant success.

A little of both, probably more toward the list need side of it. We'd just lost Swan prematurely and a player like Wells offered a freebie short term replacement given we'd set ourselves a compromised draft platform in the 2016 draft over the previous couple of seasons.

The only possible reason to bring in a 33 year old is for instant success.

We might be in agreement without knowing it. If by 'instant success' you mean that the club hoped for Wells to improve the team, then I agree that would be a success.

And yes, as a mature player it's true that the club weren't intending to develop his talents so that he could contribute. They were looking for an 'instant contribution' from Wells.

We might be in agreement without knowing it. If by 'instant success' you mean that the club hoped for Wells to improve the team, then I agree that would be a success.

And yes, as a mature player it's true that the club weren't intending to develop his talents so that he could contribute. They were looking for an 'instant contribution' from Wells.

Would you call it a success if we brought in a bunch of old guys on big contracts and they improved our ladder position from 13th to 10th? Is that really a success?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another 4-5 games from Wells last year and we would have been playing finals

Or his 7-1-2 record could have become much more balanced. He's a difference maker so may well have been the difference in a couple of close losses. Sadly, we'll never know. Hopefully we see a greater return from him in 2018.

Or his 7-1-2 record could have become much more balanced. He's a difference maker so may well have been the difference in a couple of close losses. Sadly, we'll never know. Hopefully we see a greater return from him in 2018.

Youre seriously not suggesting Wells in the team weakens the list. Wells in and our weakest player out surely would help us over the line in some of those close losses

Youre seriously not suggesting Wells in the team weakens the list. Wells in and our weakest player out surely would help us over the line in some of those close losses

May have, may not have. We'll never know.

May have, may not have. We'll never know.

Thats true of everything in life when you look back and speculate what may have been . Bit of a cop-out imo to say "we''ll never know"....and a truism.

The games we have seen from Wells in context of our close losses and need for exactly the skills he possesses, tell me he was worth a punt. For two years at least....reservations about 2019 like everybody else. but that was probably needed to attract him across.

Last edited:
Would you call it a success if we brought in a bunch of old guys on big contracts and they improved our ladder position from 13th to 10th? Is that really a success?

Success is a relative term, to be applied according to the investment. If we spend $1.1 million on Tom Lynch for 5-6 years and he can only improve us by 2-3 ladder positions, then that would be no success at all.

If we invest considerably less on a mature midfielder to improve our ball movement and said midfielder duly improves our ball movement, and maybe our ladder position as well, then that might be considered a success. Not the ultimate success, but I hardly think Wells was recruited to be the driver/key ingredient for that.

Thats true of everything in life when you look back and speculate what may have been . Bit of a cop=out imo to say "we''ll never know"....and a truism.

The games we have seen from Wells in context of our close losses and need for exactly the skills he possesses, tell me he was worth a punt. For two years at least....reservations about 2019 like everybody else. but that was probably needed to attract him across.

I think that the 'Wells factor' has been overstated, and I'm not sure that more games from him would have taken us into the finals (although maybe he would've been the difference when we lost to the Dees by less than a kick), but I agree that he was worth a punt. Hopefully we see more of him this year.

Wells is not getting $600K a season. Where does this stuff come from?

It has been explained here before that his base salary is under $500k a season as he didn't attract band 2 compensation for North when he left.

It's likely that he has incentives attached but he's unlikely to meet any of them if he doesn't get on the park.

Missing wells ellliot and degoey early last season for lengthy periods certainly derailed our season. Lost too many winnable early games and I’m convinced they would have made a difference.

Hopefully we won’t be missing them for months this time around and hopefully we are better equipped for depth to cover them when they are unavailable.

I pointed this out re mayne
5 months ago
NOT GETTING 2 million over 4 never was
False news

That article suggest the opposite, th argument some have been making that mayne was on incentive based contract that got him to the amount claimed, but based off that ^^ his base is enough to get freo the compo they got so looks like he is on near it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back