Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think maybe better structured sentences, a point each sentence, and a line between sentences.

But I'm nearly 58 so what would I know.

For the record, I wasn't 1 of the Mayne $2m - 4 year deal people. I was always of the view that it was likely front loaded and likely pretty heavily performance based.

That article just stated it goes off base amount and maynes "base" amount got freo band 2 compo so he likely IS on that (or close) amount.

So Darky using that as "proof" is backwards, it actually enhances those original claims.

That article suggest the opposite, th argument some have been making that mayne was on incentive based contract that got him to the amount claimed, but based off that ^^ his base is enough to get freo the compo they got so looks like he is on near it.

I think if he was on 500 base for 4 years and playing He would have attracted band 1 comp ( MOTLOP)

Due to match fees ect ect would be on a fair bit more

They take it on projected return hence pick 23

Interesting article and raise quesitions imo

They’d be on about 500k for the first two years as a base and then probably a heavily incentive based contract for years 3 and 4 with a small base.

The 500k for first two years is what got them that level of compensation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming he needs two VFL games to be AFL ready... One this Saturday vs Port and the next vs Essendon on the 21st April. Wells won't play four days later for Anzac day, but will come in against in Rd 6 vs Tigers at earliest I'd say.

At years end we should promise to pay 50% of his wages for the remaining 2 years of his deal and offer him up to a top 6 side chasing a flag for one of their late 4th round picks (but valuable points for our f/s and academy boys)

He is after all elite for delivery inside 50 and for a small 200-250k outlay (pies paying other half)... maybe a club like Tigers, Cats, Crows bites? Unlikely, but worth putting it out there... just like worth putting Mayne out there again for a similar deal.

And even when Wells is fit, I'd rather we give our midfield minutes to developing players like Daicos, Stephenson.... Wells offers zilch in the medium to longterm.

Also free up the cap space considering players like Grundy and Moore we need to resign at years end but on bigger contracts

When is Wells going to play?!! He’s not on the injury list and is 100% in our best 22, so why tf is he not playing? Most people predicted he will be back at the latest by round 5 or 6, and we are now heading in to round 7 and there is no talk about him making his return any time soon.

When is Wells going to play?!! He’s not on the injury list and is 100% in our best 22, so why tf is he not playing? Most people predicted he will be back at the latest by round 5 or 6, and we are now heading in to round 7 and there is no talk about him making his return any time soon.

After watching him in the last VFL game, before the bye, I think fitness might be the issue. Then no game last week. But with our injuries you’d think he’s back in now.

After watching him in the last VFL game, before the bye, I think fitness might be the issue. Then no game last week. But with our injuries you’d think he’s back in now.
Issue only now is do they want him travelling?

The moment they think he’s ready to play seniors without risk he’s in. It’s that simple

I doubt he’ll ever play an interstate game again.

If he’s not back for the Geelong game then something’s up. He’s either not being professional in his training, prep and diet or he is completely cooked and we may as well pay out his contract at the end of this year and get someone’s else’s on the list.

Yeah he definitely looked a bit heavy in the VFL game, but that said he still moved freely and did some classy things. I think he could slot in on a forward flank nicely, but I don't think you are going to get much midfield time out of him. He looks lean in the legs and upper body, but his mid-rift looks a bit heavy. It might just be his body shape. He looked pretty good.

If we make finals, he is going to be a nice bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back