Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the early finish to his 2018 come into it for you? My concern is that this current injury is serious whereas leading into the 17 and 18 pre-seasons there wasn’t this level of significant injury.

I’m personally not convinced his issues are chronic, but I wouldn’t be surprised to read in 12 months time that his calves and achilles were shot as of right now.

In terms of being cooked I think I could better explain it by linking it to his mindset. IMO, the guys that go well into their 30’s are professional to the enth degree they have that inner drive and hunger that mere mortals can’t even begin to comprehend. I don’t believe Wells has that so with every year it gets exponentially harder for him to reach the level he needs to in order to compete. Throw that on top of his general injury issues and the seriousness of his latest injury then it becomes a melting pot of issues that lead me to consider him as a non viable option.

The perfect example for me is N Reiwoldt. He was universally known for his fanatical preparation, he actually had a chronic issue in his knee and he continued to be dominant well into his 18th season. Wells doesn’t have that unfortunately which for me on top of his already failing body is why he’s cooked. I guess another way of putting it is if he was uncontracted right now would you offer him a new contract?..

Wells injuries are a concern but I don't believe they're insurmountable. I'm reassured by the length of time he has to get it right prior to the start of next season.

Last edited:
Just can’t agree, why would you move on sublime talent?

Wells isn’t Goldsack or Blair or Oxley or Smith etc they are all limited.

Wells is so far above them, talent wise.
If he gets healthy he’s clear best 22 and on that basis the proverbial late picked kid will just have to wait.

He turns upto preseason now fat and out of shape, year older and will return to preseason at best mid way through.

Will be up against it again and I would rather cut our losses pay him out and hopefully pick up a young kid with a late pick who actually wants to play not just collect a pay check.

^ my sentiment exactly.

A) Too many injury prone players as is ... without carrying a bloke who couldn't run out a country footy season, let alone half an AFL season.

B) paying him out actually saves money as he is no longer using club medical and rehab resources

C) Use his list spot on the draft an extra kid or quality VFL player. Or can promote a rookie to the senior list... thereby freeing up an extra rookie spot.

Even use his spot on a delisted free agent. Henry Schade didn't work out for us in 2017 but Werribee's Sam Collins was a delisted free agent in the same year.

D) When picked Wells is a liability to break down mid match leaving one short on the bench

E) I'd rather give Wells midfield minutes to the development of a Maynard or Stephenson.

His goose is cooked. Gubbys recruiting gamble failed.

I would not feel comfortable taking Wells into a final.

I guess another way of putting it is if he was uncontracted right now would you offer him a new contract?..
Hammer hits nail. Gubby might but the rest of the sane football world would look elsewhere. Davis was AA in 2011 and no one offered him a gig in 2012. How long is it since Wells was AA? He is on our list, we have to live with it and hope it pays off next year. If we had a choice now would we give him another years contract? No way. The whole "sublime talent" argument is based on what he was and a pie in the sky chance he ever will be that again. Right now it is a risk we are committed to, not a risk that any sensible football department would choose to take in 2019.

^ my sentiment exactly.

A) Too many injury prone players as is ... without carrying a bloke who couldn't run out a country footy season, let alone half an AFL season.
B) paying him out actually saves money as he is no longer using club medical and rehab resources
C) Use his list spot on the draft an extra kid or quality VFL player. Or can promote a rookie to the senior list... thereby freeing up an extra rookie spot.
Even use his spot on a delisted free agent. Henry Schade didn't work out for us in 2017 but Werribee's Sam Collins was a delisted free agent in the same year.
D) When picked Wells is a liability to break down mid match leaving one short on the bench
E) I'd rather give Wells midfield minutes to the development of a Maynard or Stephenson.

His goose is cooked. Gubbys recruiting gamble failed.
A sports medico (not North or Cwood Club Dr) told me 18 months ago that Wells was cooked - his talent is not the issue - he just cannot get and stay fit

He turns upto preseason now fat and out of shape, year older and will return to preseason at best mid way through.

Will be up against it again and I would rather cut our losses pay him out and hopefully pick up a young kid with a late pick who actually wants to play not just collect a pay check.
Can’t sgree on the character assessment.
He’s not arriving as the nutty professor all fat.

His ten games “fat” last year was better than most could muster with zero fat.

As I’ve said previously we as supporters have no long term supporter investment in him.

But where he’s different to others is the Uber talent he has. That’s worth the punt for him in my view.

Last edited:
I would not feel comfortable taking Wells into a final.
If he was fit he’d be one of the musts for me.
Class helps in finals.

A sports medico (not North or Cwood Club Dr) told me 18 months ago that Wells was cooked - his talent is not the issue - he just cannot get and stay fit
That may be so.
But I’d take the risk as we’re paying for it.

Wondering in all these posts if anyone considers Wells' value off field and on the track, in meetings, in the gym, in the locker room, on trips etc? I certainly do.

IMO Wells is a fringe player now. 2 out of the 4 games he played this year were so bad he was a liability. However! ... the value and class of the bloke he is a keeper to show our young kids what it takes to last 15 years or so at the elite level. Surely that's worth not paying out his contract and bringing in a "young kid". There is a point where we just cant automatically think we need to top up with fresh water. We're playing finals this year and hopefully beyond with the core we have .... we've got enough young talent and we'll get more through the normal draft. IMO we need maturity on and off the field.

If you get rid of Wells ....find another 100+ game KPB please.

Wondering in all these posts if anyone considers Wells' value off field and on the track, in meetings, in the gym, in the locker room, on trips etc? I certainly do.

IMO Wells is a fringe player now. 2 out of the 4 games he played this year were so bad he was a liability. However! ... the value and class of the bloke he is a keeper to show our young kids what it takes to last 15 years or so at the elite level. Surely that's worth not paying out his contract and bringing in a "young kid". There is a point where we just cant automatically think we need to top up with fresh water. We're playing finals this year and hopefully beyond with the core we have .... we've got enough young talent and we'll get more through the normal draft. IMO we need maturity on and off the field.

I'm someone who thinks the Wells gamble was worth it, even though it looks like being a bust. If it had have paid off, it would have been a massive win for us, and I'd keep him on the list next year with the hail mary of him getting his body right. But I don't subscribe to your theory at all. From reports over the years, Wells is a great bloke and an incredible talent, but his work ethic has always been under suspicion. Not sure that he can show the average player what it takes to last 15 years in the AFL. Thus, Im not sure that he has much worth other than what he produces or doesn't produce on the field. Chris Mayne on the other hand ...

As much as I respect Saintly's opinions on this one I feel its past tense with Wells.
I cannot see him playing say 5 or even 10 consecutive games next year. If he has a lot to offer off field then offer him that
One thing this year has shown us is how important a consistant forwatd midfield group is. All we need now is the same down back.
Love his class but for me to disruptive in and out of team same with Reid

Imagine him passing to De Goey, Lynch :D et al
It's fantasy unfortunately. He just hasn't got more than a few games in him. even if he was sound though I'd much rather contemplate De Goey passing ti to Elliot, Lynch et al. Unfortunately there is nearly as much doubt on Elliot.

Wells is not an elite player anymore - probably never was. He has some elite attributes - movements and disposal and has had elite moments and games but never has he had an elite season that I can recall.

So just another uninformed opinion then...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the bloke who rocked up to preseason 10kgs overweight, skinfolds through the roof and one of the worst trial times of the group is the guy we want the young kids learning off.

Not all - one of the most informed and respected sports medico opinions in Aust - to date not much evidence that Wells can get and stay fit enough to play consistently at the required level

His expertise or standing matters little if he's not bringing 1st hand information to his views.

His expertise or standing matters little if he's not bringing 1st hand information to his views.
Very happy with the knowledge and integrity of my source regarding this issue - not being the Cwood or Nth doctor doesn't mean they don't have 1st hand knowledge - clubs consult external medical opinions - evidence to date also suggests they've on the money

Very happy with the knowledge and integrity of my source regarding this issue - not being the Cwood or Nth doctor doesn't mean they don't have 1st hand knowledge - clubs consult external medical opinions - evidence to date also suggests they've on the money

Nah. Spend a lot of time around medical types and not 1 of them would suggest their views were anything but uninformed if they haven't had access to records or laid on hands. Opens them up to repercussions they don't want to endure. Happy for you to push the merits of your source but if he's done neither of those things then he's guessing like all the rest of us mug punters.

Nah. Spend a lot of time around medical types and not 1 of them would suggest their views were anything but uninformed if they haven't had access to records or laid on hands. Opens them up to repercussions they don't want to endure. Happy for you to push the merits of your source but if he's done neither of those things then he's guessing like all the rest of us mug punters.
Point is not so much my source - how many games has Wells missed through injury in recent years? How many games will he be available for selection for in 2019? Because of the number of games he has missed for us will he be able to make any contribution next year?

Point is not so much my source - how many games has Wells missed through injury in recent years? How many games will he be available for selection for in 2019? Because of the number of games he has missed for us will he be able to make any contribution next year?

Who knows? Last 6 seasons have gone 22-10-2-19-10-4-?. On that trend might be 17-18 games, time will tell.

I say surprise because many have written him off already. I don't think he'd surprise you or I Saintly.

Or me...

He is right at the top of the tree when in form. They need to manage him to peak during the finals. His silk won’t do us any harm.

Is he a risk? Absolutely.

Would you play him in a grand final knowing these risks? Absolutely.

Wells
Treloar
Sharenberg (potentially available for finals)
Elliott

Arguably all A graders. Imagine all them added to our September campaign.

Moore I like too.

Lynch would be the cream although I’d still prefer May.

Has the Club got any Cotton Wool left to wrap Daniel up in? Doubt the AFL would approve a Walking Frame for a player to use moving forward for Season 2019.

Last edited:
Far from best 22 these days. So many of our young guys have gone past him this season. IF he manages to come back next year & cracks it into our 22 he plays off the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back