Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not in this instance.

Dane swan having a beer, applauded.
Daniel Wells sighted anywhere, hissing.

It's one thing if Mr W was an average basic medium level player; but when he plays (granted that's what we want to see) he's on a completely different plane, elite skills. When he played we were, far better as a team.
Imagine him passing to Cox or to Hoskin-Elliott or Elliott or De Goey.
Immaculate passing and positioning.
I think Wells is in our top 3 most talented players.

Not sure where he would rank in terms of his fitness and endeavour.

By the way, that is not meant to be an attack on Wells. I rate him so highly that if he plays 20 games next season, we win at least 15 of those.

I think Wells is in our top 3 most talented players.

Not sure where he would rank in terms of his fitness and endeavour.

By the way, that is not meant to be an attack on Wells. I rate him so highly that if he plays 20 games next season, we win at least 15 of those.

No one can dispute his talent...his endeavour on the other hand. In 2017 I would agree with the notion that if he played 15 we would win 10...but I think his few games last year show he he is cooked. In 2018 he looked like he couldn't run out a full suburban game let alone an AFL game.

I would rather pay him out and take a kid with the senior list spot than hedge on the 5% chance he is able to step in and provide something for the senior team.

No one can dispute his talent...his endeavour on the other hand. In 2017 I would agree with the notion that if he played 15 we would win 10...but I think his few games last year show he he is cooked. In 2018 he looked like he couldn't run out a full suburban game let alone an AFL game.

I would rather pay him out and take a kid with the senior list spot than hedge on the 5% chance he is able to step in and provide something for the senior team.
The issue with lower leg complaints is that they are very restrictive, you can't get the km's into your legs and once the intensity drops and you aren't buring the same kegs each day, you lose fitness and tend to add weight.

He was underdone last year but just need to see how the preseason goes, you don't get to the levels Wells achieved on pure talent. It may well be he is cooked but let's see what shape he is in and what capacity is left in his ageing body.

all the reports on his drinking over the last couple of years are interesting. ive seen some on the north board as well. it must be a pretty recent change. late into his career at north it was well known that he had never touched alcohol in his life. i wonder when it started.

anyway, hope to see him back. he is still my favorite footy player.

all the reports on his drinking over the last couple of years are interesting. ive seen some on the north board as well. it must be a pretty recent change. late into his career at north it was well known that he had never touched alcohol in his life. i wonder when it started.

It probably started in the big footy pages ;)
Maybe Daniel doesn't even know he's drinking?

Who knows what's really true.

That said one or two drinks are hardly earth shattering. Have a nice meal with the family or friends have a quiet beer or a scotch.

All this worship of Daniel Wells. Well ... I wasn't a fan of a high waged old recruit but swayed by his performance in 2017: it justified the decision. 2018 was a bust. We can toss around words about how skilful the bloke is but if he can't get on the field, or can't find form when he is, a la 2018, then all we have is words, not action that actually impacts the season. He did not impact 2018 and reality is not making finals meant his impact in 2017 wasn't that important. Calling it now, he won't impact 2019. Was it a risk worth taking? Not for me but I know nothing. Ultimately did the risk pay off? Unless Wells actually impacts in 2019, no! It was a waste of a list space. A decade from now someone will post on BF, remember Wells; most of us will reply who?

All this worship of Daniel Wells. Well ... I wasn't a fan of a high waged old recruit but swayed by his performance in 2017: it justified the decision. 2018 was a bust. We can toss around words about how skilful the bloke is but if he can't get on the field, or can't find form when he is, a la 2018, then all we have is words, not action that actually impacts the season. He did not impact 2018 and reality is not making finals meant his impact in 2017 wasn't that important. Calling it now, he won't impact 2019. Was it a risk worth taking? Not for me but I know nothing. Ultimately did the risk pay off? Unless Wells actually impacts in 2019, no! It was a waste of a list space. A decade from now someone will post on BF, remember Wells; most of us will reply who?
I think they need do a Clark Keating with Wells this year. Don't bother playing him at all in the first half of the season, instead have him do a mini preseason and get his injury management and recovery spot on. If finals are looking likely, bring him into the side at about round 18 for match conditioning. The target should be to get at least one final from Wells at top flight. I think it's the best we can hope for now unfortunately.

Unless he comes good for us this year and beyond, people will forget that he was a Pie for a small part of his career, but they won't easily forget Wells. One of the more memorable players of his generation. Of our current list, his AFL career is above all but Sidebottom where I'd have it as par, and Pendles who is well ahead.

Unless he comes good for us this year and beyond, people will forget that he was a Pie for a small part of his career, but they won't easily forget Wells. One of the more memorable players of his generation. Of our current list, his AFL career is above all but Sidebottom where I'd have it as par, and Pendles who is well ahead.

I assume an oversight with Beamer?

Correct.
Elite player.
And so good to watch (when I wasn’t wearing my Magpies blinkers).

When taking risks on such recruitment, Wells is the sort you do it for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they start the moment he signed with us? Really easing his way into retirement

If any other club paid wells what we are we would all be laughing at them..

One more season and his gone.....shocking pick up..
Drafted for finals footy.....can't get on the park....

He WAS talented.......the game has gone past him

Nah, Wells is still very talented, I doubt that the game has gone past him. A player with his skills will never date.

But his body still being up to it? That’s a different matter. Ageing, finding the inspiration to push through another season - that might challenge him. But he also has the chance to win a flag. Did North ever offer that in his time there?

Nah, Wells is still very talented, I doubt that the game has gone past him. A player with his skills will never date.

But his body still being up to it? That’s a different matter. Ageing, finding the inspiration to push through another season - that might challenge him. But he also has the chance to win a flag. Did North ever offer that in his time there?

Alan Didak played his last game at 30 and Peter Daicos was 31. Wells will be 34 and returning to a kicking game after a second major lisfranc injury...

They made the Prelim in 07 against Port Adelaide but given they lost the first final to Geelong by 100 so not really.

Yeah I'd forgotten that Beams was back, but even then I'd probably still go wells for career to date.

Interesting. Steele AND Wells ahead of a multiple B&F winner, AA, premiership player and former club captain who goes at a goal and 30 possessions a game?.. It’s such a shame he was in Brisbane during his prime because he’s our second best credentialed player!

If any other club paid wells what we are we would all be laughing at them..

One more season and his gone.....shocking pick up..
Drafted for finals footy.....can't get on the park....

Interesting comment. I disagree because I don’t think you lose “talent”. I think what happens is as you age your body and mind no longer allow you to do the things that maximised your “talent”.

For instance, in particular reference to Wells, your mind stops you from going on that 8-10km morning run while on holidays. In turn not going on that run means your body isn’t where it needs to be so you’re playing catch up over pre-season. Playing catch up over pre-season means you need to push that little bit harder to make that crucial contest. You push too hard at that age under the wrong circumstances and bang your calf goes on you.

We’ll get a very early indication of where he’s at, but I won’t hold my breath because the layout of pre-season (5 months out of full training after injury, back for 2 weeks and then into another 3 weeks off) is really going to hurt him, IMO.

Last edited:
Interesting. Steele AND Wells ahead of a multiple B&F winner, AA, premiership player and former club captain who goes at a goal and 30 possessions a game?.. It’s such a shame he was in Brisbane during his prime because he’s our second best credentialed player!

Interesting comment. I disagree because I don’t think you lose “talent”. I think what happens is as you age your body and mind no longer allow you to do the things that maximised your “talent”.

For instance, in particular reference to Wells, your mind stops you from going on that 8-10km morning run while on holidays. In turn not going on that run means your body isn’t where it needs to be so you’re playing catch up over pre-season. Playing catch up over pre-season means you need to push that little bit harder to make that crucial contest. You push too hard at that age under the wrong circumstances and bang your calf goes on you.

We’ll get a very early indication of where he’s at, but I won’t hold my breath because the layout of pre-season (5 months out of full training after injury, back for 2 weeks and then into another 3 weeks off) is really going to hurt him, IMO.
Yeah so he should give it away...lol

I’ve always felt for quite a few supporters they just have not invested (embraced) in Wells.
It’s like he’s not really a Collingwood player but an interloper.

That’s a great shame. He’s such a talent and too me, he’s now pure Collingwood.
If he plays we’re a better team so I wish him to play. I’m selfish like that.

Separately his character is a bit besmirched which goes against the grain of how highly regarded he was through his career.

I’ve always felt for quite a few supporters they just have not invested (embraced) in Wells.
It’s like he’s not really a Collingwood player but an interloper.

That’s a great shame. He’s such a talent and too me, he’s now pure Collingwood.
If he plays we’re a better team so I wish him to play. I’m selfish like that.

Separately his character is a bit besmirched which goes against the grain of how highly regarded he was through his career.
Agree entirely. Keyboard warriors who likely couldn't run out of sight on a dark night questioning the dedication/motivation of a bloke who has played 257 games. You don't play that amount of games without a huge amount of self-discipline.

I have confidence in him making an impact in 2019. And signing a 1 year extension!

Yeah so he should give it away...lol

It probably depends on the context. I mean if I’m Wells no way am I giving it away, but the club definitely had the conversation with him.

SV I also feel for people that concern themselves over others not embracing a guy that hasn’t been fit, I’m not talking uninjured, in over two years at the club. Like Gerard Healy and Barry Mitchell his time at Collingwood will be very much an afterthought and as soon as he leaves the club for the last time he’ll never be back, IMO.

Agree entirely. Keyboard warriors who likely couldn't run out of sight on a dark night questioning the dedication/motivation of a bloke who has played 257 games. You don't play that amount of games without a huge amount of self-discipline.

I have confidence in him making an impact in 2019. And signing a 1 year extension!

A contract extension?! At least it’s been settled that if he’d retired his salary was going under the 2019 cap just like Tippett :D

A contract extension?! At least it’s been settled that if he’d retired his salary was going under the 2019 cap just like Tippett :D
I am not sure where you got your "it's been settled" info - but I will write this once more and ask you to read it to yourself slowly. Tippett was a restricted free agent, Wells was unrestricted. Regardless of whether paid in full or reduced by agreement, the whole initial contract amount for an RFA player at the new club must go towards the cap.

Known by some as the "Buddy Rule" (incorrectly, as the rule was already in place, the AFL General Counsel just confirmed it applied to Buddy's contract) it does not apply to Unrestricted Free Agents.

I am not sure where you got your "it's been settled" info - but I will write this once more and ask you to read it to yourself slowly. Tippett was a restricted free agent, Wells was unrestricted. Regardless of whether paid in full or reduced by agreement, the whole initial contract amount for an RFA player at the new club must go towards the cap.

Known by some as the "Buddy Rule" (incorrectly, as the rule was already in place, the AFL General Counsel just confirmed it applied to Buddy's contract) it does not apply to Unrestricted Free Agents.
Yes correct.
If an UNrestricted Free Agent retires a year early that season’s money goes in the cap of the retirement year.

SideS you have articulated this numerous times and it remains the correct ruling analysis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back