Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

To clarify some want a guy picked immediately in the seniors having played a half of senior footy since QB 2018, whose struggled with his fitness for his entire 3 year tenure at the club following a 12 week injury 🤯

He was able to impact that match v Sydney the way he did because he’d spent the previous 6 weeks getting match fit. We won’t see impact like that from him again because he’s run out of time to be that ready, but he can still have an impact under the correct circumstances.

Unless he absolutely smashes his GPS numbers this weekend the earliest we’ll see him at senior level is Rd 23.

Agree.

But also, I do think they’ll play him at a lower level of fitness this time around. Sier wasn’t playing long periods, would be the same for Wells.

To clarify some want a guy picked immediately in the seniors having played a half of senior footy since QB 2018, whose struggled with his fitness for his entire 3 year tenure at the club following a 12 week injury 🤯

He was able to impact that match v Sydney the way he did because he’d spent the previous 6 weeks getting match fit. We won’t see impact like that from him again because he’s run out of time to be that ready, but he can still have an impact under the correct circumstances.

Unless he absolutely smashes his GPS numbers this weekend the earliest we’ll see him at senior level is Rd 23.
I would counter that with given the bloke is equipped with a laser-focus beautiful kick and more footy smarts and onfield awareness than probably a third of the team we're currently putting up week to week he probably doesnt need quite the level of fitness required to engage in our manic handball handball sideways to the boundary panic merchant game style to be effective, hed simply spot someone down the ground in a good position and boot it to them and actually hit the target

I would counter that with given the bloke is equipped with a laser-focus beautiful kick and more footy smarts and onfield awareness than probably a third of the team we're currently putting up week to week he probably doesnt need quite the level of fitness required to engage in our manic handball handball sideways to the boundary panic merchant game style to be effective, hed simply spot someone down the ground in a good position and boot it to them and actually hit the target

25yo Wells, perhaps. 34yo Wells, no chance. I get your arguments, but the risk of injury to him and others, as a result of him potentially going down early or playing restricted minutes, goes up exponentially. It’s too close to finals fir me and I’m thankful the club are making the call they have.

25yo Wells, perhaps. 34yo Wells, no chance. I get your arguments, but the risk of injury to him and others, as a result of him potentially going down early or playing restricted minutes, goes up exponentially. It’s too close to finals fir me and I’m thankful the club are making the call they have.
Its all in the mind, hell Ive been convincing myself the last ten years (or maybe 11,12) that Im still in the same shape as I was when I was 25 years old?! These guys have even got sports psychologists on hand to help them along!

Missed out it looks like, not sure if the VFL can make late squad changes?

A shame if he can't get a run after the positive news of being listed as a "test" earlier in the week

Unless he pulled up sore from training, I have no idea why the club would get all our hopes up during the week that he would return, and then not name him in the VFL. It makes no sense.

All reports are that he trained strongly on Thursday.

At this stage of the year, there is no reason to be cautious. Wells needs at least 2 weeks at VFL, and then to play r23 at AFL level, if he is any chance of playing finals. He'd be too big a risk to bring into a final with no senior match conditioning.

Surely, given he will undoubtedly retire at years end, there is no reason to be cautious. Play him at VFL level, and if he breaks down then so be it. I just don't understand the conservative approach at this stage of the year.

Why all the gnashing of teeth.
I recall Bucks saying prior to his last return to the side he, (Wells) will let him know when he's ready.
Maybe Wellsy said I think I need a bit more training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless he pulled up sore from training, I have no idea why the club would get all our hopes up during the week that he would return, and then not name him in the VFL. It makes no sense.

All reports are that he trained strongly on Thursday.

At this stage of the year, there is no reason to be cautious. Wells needs at least 2 weeks at VFL, and then to play r23 at AFL level, if he is any chance of playing finals. He'd be too big a risk to bring into a final with no senior match conditioning.

Surely, given he will undoubtedly retire at years end, there is no reason to be cautious. Play him at VFL level, and if he breaks down then so be it. I just don't understand the conservative approach at this stage of the year.
The management of injured players is not a strength of the club

Are people really pinning hopes on Wells helping us win finals?

Last week on SEN Buckley seemed to be indicating he won't make it but if her does it would be huge risk picking him in a final. For a start he won't have played much for 2 years. Even if he could somehow get some decent match practice, his body is at least as likely to give way as it is to get through a game. We can't afford to play a man down for half a final.

It's a Hail Mary and too much risk.

Last week on SEN Buckley seemed to be indicating he won't make it but if her does it would be huge risk picking him in a final. For a start he won't have played much for 2 years. Even if he could somehow get some decent match practice, his body is at least as likely to give way as it is to get through a game. We can't afford to play a man down for half a final.

I’d rather he busts a gut to put his hand up for selection rather than just throw in the towel.

Last year Darcy Moore was fit enough to train for five weeks but not confident enough to say he was right to play.

Yes Wells could easily break down. Just as Moore could have easily won us a premiership if he had been less conservative and instead put his hand up to play.

There’s no right or wrong answers in these situations but Wells is a star. Likely he won’t make it back but it’s free to dream and it’s free to believe.

Why all the gnashing of teeth.
I recall Bucks saying prior to his last return to the side he, (Wells) will let him know when he's ready.
Maybe Wellsy said I think I need a bit more training.

Because he needs a few games under his belt to get match fitness and touch before finals.

I think I'm just a bit frustrated at the mixed messaging this week. The club website has an article saying that he is a chance to return via the VFL this week if he trains strongly...which by reports he did.

Now he isn't ready, and won't play next week either because there is a bye. Which means his year is basically over. Now he'll play r23 at VFL at best, meaning he would be a huge risk to play in week one of finals.

I can only assume he didn't pull up well from training. Surely, if he pulled up well, you simply pull the trigger on him at VFL level. Going conservative at this point is useless. He may as well just announce his retirement because he'll be no chance of making it back without a few games under his belt before finals. You surely throw caution to the wind (at VFL level, not AFL level), and if he can get through the game and pull up well, then you genuinely consider him for AFL selection because he is a match winner.

I’d rather he busts a gut to put his hand up for selection rather than just throw in the towel.

Last year Darcy Moore was fit enough to train for five weeks but not confident enough to say he was right to play.

Yes Wells could easily break down. Just as Moore could have easily won us a premiership if he had been less conservative and instead put his hand up to play.

There’s no right or wrong answers in these situations but Wells is a star. Likely he won’t make it back but it’s free to dream and it’s free to believe.

I tend to agree. Although, with Moore there was cause to be cautious because he is a young man with a bright future. Wells is in his final year and has nothing to lose. Surely both he and the club are pushing to the absolute limit now and taking the punt. I can't possibly advocate for him to come into the AFL now for finals because he just won't be conditioned and will be a liability if he breaks down mid-match.

Stick him in the goal square ala Jarman for the finals, it's not like we have anything to lose... it's not like we even have a full forward anymore

That VFL bye next weekend really is shocking timing for Daniel and us. If he has any AFL left in him it looks like he will just have to do it in the finals. Would love to get at least some home and away minutes at senior level into him before then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back