Danny Frawley interview

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Danny as a player and hope he's doing well for himself.

But TBH, I'm over listening to public figures complain about having their ego bubble pricked. It might be helpful to some people and if that helps, good, but personally I can't relate to people unraveling because a charmed life came to an end.

For most people this is the maturing process they experience post high school and again when their career stalls in midlife.

Unfortunately most people don't have CEO's, media personalities and high priced doctors on speed dial.

Last edited:
Hope Spud is better

But Funny that the H/Sun article and sen interview coincides with a new show starting on Sunday mornings over summer on Sen with Spud

It's not funny at all - the subject matter of the interview is precisely the subject manner of the new show, and he explains why he's doing it.

Loved Danny as a player and hope he's doing well for himself.

But TBH, I'm over listening to public figures complain about having their ego bubble pricked. It might be helpful to some people and if that helps, good, but personally I can't relate to people unraveling because a charmed life came to end.

For most people this is the maturing process they experience post high school and again when their career stalls in midlife.

Unfortunately most people don't have CEO's, media personalities and high priced doctors on speed dial.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

This is about mental health.

Just listen to it - a lot of it is about his childhood on a farm, not his "charmed life".

I suspect I'm wasting my time replying to you, but anyway.

Well worth a listen for everybody. Remarkable insight and perspective from somebody who's been through it all

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/15/danny-frawley-chats-to-hamish-mclachlan/

Coincidentally enough saw him in the Perth airport lounge this morning, didn't bother him so not sure what he was over in WA for this time of year for.

But yeah pretty easy with the jokey persona and all that to forget that there's a serious side to him and takes his job with the AFLCA very much to heart. The stuff about his relationship with his father is insightful and dare say would hit close to home for many too.

Ill probably cop heat for this but what ever.
It is almost uncool for a person in the publics eye to not say they dont have issues.
Its almost like justifying i get paid well and am well known so i want people to feel sorry for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
And you have absolutely no idea what I and my family have been through. So please excuse me if it tell you to go forth and multiply.

This is about mental health.
No s**t Einstein.

My point is people struggling with the sort of issues that he's dealing with, that aren't helped by the sort of people he's describing, can actually make them feel more worthless realising they don't have access to those sort of people.

It doesn't always help. But hey, you're the expert and the four dead relatives I have have taught me nothing about the subject. :rolleyes:

Sad to hear. That last year as Richmond's coach would have been excruciating and I'm sure in hindsight he would have just walked instead of coaching half the season knowing he was done. Still, he survived that part ok.

Interesting that he says he was basically appointed CEO of the coaches' association for a marketing type role and he found himself out of his depth when the Essendon saga flared up.

The whole jobs for the good blokes mentality of the AFL means there's probably plenty of people misplaced who have no idea what to do when the crap hits the fan. All a bit bizarre.

And you have absolutely no idea what I and my family have been through. So please excuse me if it tell you to go forth and multiply.

No s**t Einstein.

My point is people struggling with the sort of issues that he's dealing with, that aren't helped by the sort of people he's describing, can actually make them feel more worthless realising they don't have access to those sort of people.

It doesn't always help. But hey, you're the expert and the four dead relatives I have have taught me nothing about the subject. :rolleyes:

The interview isn't about "having an ego bubble pricked" or his "charmed life".

It's not about me being an expert in anything. It's about the interview I linked to. Again - you have no idea what you're talking about.

No s**t Einstein.

Interesting, had similar problems in my family but when someone like Danny Frawley with his 'charmed life' comes out and says he goes through the same issues as a lot of others, it makes me grateful that people are starting to speak out - not miserable because he's luckier than me in some areas.

The interview isn't about "having an ego bubble pricked" or his "charmed life".

It's not about me being an expert in anything. It's about the interview I linked to. Again - you have no idea what you're talking about.
You weren't listening.

Spud Saying he didn't sleep for 3 weeks ?

According to Scientific American, the longest a human is able to stay awake for is 264 hours, which is 11 days.

* me dead what kind of social issues do you have? It's clearly not a literal definition - when people say they didn't sleep, they generally mean they tossed and turned all night and got 2-4 hours of shitty sleep.

Ill probably cop heat for this but what ever.
It is almost uncool for a person in the publics eye to not say they dont have issues.
Its almost like justifying i get paid well and am well known so i want people to feel sorry for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Nah dude I fully get where you're coming from but I can see why you'd think you'd cop heat for it too.

I might get around to listening, but can't stand the bloke, so in no hurry.
Don't bother 2 minutes in I was already thinking how long is this going to go for. **** me 1.5 hrs, listening to the dumbest man in the world being interviewed by the most conceited man in the world, no thanks.
Spud had a nervous breakdown because of the Hird saga, running too much, drinking too much and doing too many weight sessions over a three week period in which he never slept..... omg

Interesting, had similar problems in my family but when someone like Danny Frawley with his 'charmed life' comes out and says he goes through the same issues as a lot of others, it makes me grateful that people are starting to speak out - not miserable because he's luckier than me in some areas.
I don't have a problem with people speaking out if they're not doing it from the perspective of 1) I'm a success story, 2) I'm an expert & 3) name dropping the people that helped them. It would probably be better too having a mental health expert sitting in on the conversation.

Many of these high profile people that talk about their experiences often exacerbate the feelings of worthlessness that lead many to their mental health problems in the first place. Even worse is many of these types start making a career by discussing their "success" in dealing with mental illness.

Sure it's great to know others are going through what you've been through. It's good to see people discussing such issues openly.

But it's a nonsense to suggest such speakers are always good for people to listen to without knowing where a person is or what mental health issues they are experiencing. From first hand experience I can tell you it's not always good.