Opinion Danny Frawley questions whether Richmond's forward structure can handle finals pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Frawely haa come in with the late news. No one disagrees our lack of talls is our problem, blind freddy saw it before round 1 but it is what it is and we found other avenues. What's gws' excuse for getting flogged by Geelong when they had 2premium tall options who barely fired a shot last night?

Adelaide have dismantled teams with and without tall options, it's because they're a ******* great team.

Toby Greene played with broken ribs..

Its not Richmond so they get an excuse.

He isnt wrong. But the average supporter has known this all year so hardly ground breaking.

but ground breaking insight isnt Frawleys bag.

He is that dumb smile on his Foxtel show to pass off to the fellow dunces that one of their own is a comedian.

Dinosaur

I think he is wrong. We finally have a mentality and structure that doesn't focus on jack and bombing it into talls and is more about tackle pressure and working as a team. Should be celebrated. Game has moved past him, no idea.

Remember, if everyone lifts their intensity during finals, that includes our forward pressure.

Just illustrates how one dimensional this "ex AFL coach" is. He is stuck in the 80's the old timer....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A failed coach doesn't mean he isn't entitled to an opinion or doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to footy.
of course he is entitled to his opinion but i would prefer the opinions of successfully coaches rather than failed ones who have found 'wisdom' from the grandstand.

he took over from peter knights this year as coach of the vic country team v the v.a.f.a. knights had a successful record. this year the v.a.f.a thrashed the frawley coached vic country.

of course he is entitled to his opinion but i would prefer the opinions of successfully coaches rather than failed ones who have found 'wisdom' from the grandstand.

he took over from peter knights this year as coach of the vic country team v the v.a.f.a. knights had a successful record. this year the v.a.f.a thrashed the frawley coached vic country.

He did gain wisdom as a coach. That was that he couldnt coach.

Hmm. Well if he is trying again then maybe he hasnt got that little pearl yet.

I don't think anyone including us here actually know how we will stack up against the best sides. We have been crying out all season for a second tall, and hey presto we got one, Townsend!! So nothing about Richmond this year is predicable. But getting rid of lumbering types and adding speed is one of the major reasons we sit in 3rd position on the ladder, and our forward line is the quickest going around. Will it stand up against Adelaide, Geelong, Swans, it could and it is in good form.
Our biggest problem is can our midfield stack up against the physical strength of Danger, Selwood, Menangola, etc. They are all inside beasts. This is where it will be won or lost.

He's got a point.

Our lack of tall options really shows against the best sides.
This. I'd back us for the flag but for this.

Even during our wins I constantly get frustrated when we kick it down the line to the back and an opposition big essentially takes an uncontested mark.

Combine that with our last-quarter capitulation under pressure against Geelong (rewatch it and look at our decision-making...just terrible), people are right to question whether we will hold up in finals. I just don't back us in when the game's on the line. Yet.

Frawely haa come in with the late news. No one disagrees our lack of talls is our problem, blind freddy saw it before round 1 but it is what it is and we found other avenues. What's gws' excuse for getting flogged by Geelong when they had 2premium tall options who barely fired a shot last night?

Adelaide have dismantled teams with and without tall options, it's because they're a ******* great team.

I disagree our lack of talls is our problem.

If anything we need to improve our midfield first and foremost with bigger quicker mids

It's a huge problem. We desperately need a way to take more marks inside our F50. I mean, we only rank 2nd in the comp there (after Adelaide). We average just over 12 per game.

There was a game last year, where one side only took 6 marks inside 50 the entire game. It was called the..... ummm .... Grand Final, and the side that took 6 marks I50 won. And their opponents took twice as many.

You play what you have - we don't have a good, fit 2nd tall. (Our good 2nd tall isn't fit, and our fit 2nd tall isn't good).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back