Past Darcy Cameron - traded 2019, to Collingwood for 4.4375 Craig Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on who plays with a three talls forward line. If we had Cameron, Tippet and Franklin on the forward line with Papley and Jack as small crumbing defensive run down forwards and Reid playing up the ground as a mobile strong marking link man, that is a forward line very hard to match up on with most back lines in the comp, particularly the small GWS and WB backlines. Even though it was a pre-season game and in the wet, the three talls up front caused real problems for GWS. It also puts more pressure on Mumford to stay back. Mumford's marking and his defensive efforts are not his strength. WB have no real strength in the ruck and are under-sized. Rohan should play off the half back line to give us real pace and to break the lines. We need a re-structured forward line to beat the two teams that beat us last year. In the three critical games against GWS and WB last season we scored 11, 9 and 10 goals. Its not just about more pace around the ground.
We normally love the high bomb kick into the forward line if we play to tall , it then allows the loose defender to peal off and intercept ala hodge , Gibson over recent years
I still seen kicks last night to buddy with 3 on him
Still an area on the ground we have structurel problems with

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We normally love the high bomb kick into the forward line if we play to tall , it then allows the loose defender to peal off and intercept ala hodge , Gibson over recent years
That'd be more of a reason to play more talls. Buddy often gets swamped because we don't have a second tall, how else do you think Richards got time? If we have a fit Tippet, Reid and Cameron that'll free Buddy up and us bombing down forward won't be that big a deal

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
I agree. But I would like to see Gibson trying to out mark Cameron. If the forward line is structured intelligently and we do have a very smart forward coach the extra tall should draw the third defender and allow Buddy's opponent to be isolated in a one on one. The dream of having a midfield that can hit leading forwards lace out isn't going to happen. Longmire is a Dennis Pagan trained coach. Pagan always coached teams with big strong forwards. Maybe we have seen the last of the small forward line structure at the Swans for a while.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
It would be a real bonus if this guy were to come through next year.

We lack a consistent tall mark in our fwd line; not a significant Franklin asset, although better this year, Sinclair/Tippett occasional/inconsistent glimpses, Reid averaged 6 marks (2 contested) a game, but only 2 of the 6 were taken inside the fwd 50 and better when given space.

To have a strong deeper contested mark for that outlet kick would be very handy.

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4672
Cameron averaged 5.6 marks and just under 2 goals per game in his last (2016) WAFL season, as well as 13 HO as second ruck.

Good rather than spectacular stats, but first full season playing more forward than ruck.
Unfortunately circumstances dictated that he probably played more ruck time in our reserves this year than was originally intended and then missed the second half of the season after a shoulder dislocation.

Good training block, some pre-season game time/performances and who knows.....

Could be a surprisingly important player next season. 4th in line but could arguably deserve a game over any of the other 3 rucks depending on who you ask.

Could be a surprisingly important player next season. 4th in line but could arguably deserve a game over any of the other 3 rucks depending on who you ask.

I relate to your sentiment but we probably don't wanna do to Cameron what Dees fans did with Jack Watts. It's not Darcy's fault we're thirsty as **** for a quality ruck LOL

Going to be a good healthy competition between he, Naisy, Tippo & Sinkers. Good healthy competition in a spot where there's no bonafide superstar is always a plus IMO.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah saw that today. He can't catch a break can poor old Kurt.

Well, yes, obviously he can. That's the problem... Anyway....

Hope he can make a charge for the 2nd half of the season. Have his annual purple patch when we actually need him.
Pretty reasonable chance of that in my estimation.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I only seen bits and pieces. Hopefully, he's been running himself into the ground the last 6 months developing his tank whilst rehabbing his shoulder, his running ability will probably determine what he can offer but I think people will like him- country footballer that is not flashy but loves marking at the highest point, dead eye and probably flogs Sinclair in the ruck at training on a regular basis.

best case- 204cm version of McGovern

most likely- more natural Mike Pyke but a better forward

might be a bust if he can't get strong enough- not imposing enough when he entered the system

Last edited:

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
I only seen bits and pieces. Hopefully, he's been running himself into the ground the last 6 months developing his tank whilst rehabbing his shoulder, his running ability will probably determine what he can offer but I think people will like him- country footballer that is not flashy but loves marking at the highest point, dead eye and probably flogs Sinclair in the ruck at training on a regular basis.

best case- 204cm version of McGovern

most likely- more natural Mike Pyke but a better forward

might be a bust if he can't get strong enough- not imposing enough when he entered the system

"probably flogs Sinclair in the ruck at training on a regular basis."

what is this based on?

"not imposing enough when he entered the system".

what is this based on?

he was our form forward/ruck at the beginning of last season and should of been playing ahead of others.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
"probably flogs Sinclair in the ruck at training on a regular basis."

what is this based on?

"not imposing enough when he entered the system".

what is this based on?

he was our form forward/ruck at the beginning of last season and should of been playing ahead of others.

I don't know he flogs Sinclair in training, but Sinclair is a s**t ruck and not a realistic #1. And I think Cameron has the scope to be a better ruck. Concerns over his body strength was from his own interviews before he arrived and my observations. Fitness stopped him from being drafted 13,14,15,16 and our starting ruck in 2017 IMO.

I was giving people some gossip, my 2c. I clearly have no inside knowledge.

Great choice for a debut too. Most of the time in the ruck he will likely face Crossley which he has done at NEAFL level, but will also get the chance to measure up to Witts who is one of the better ruckmen in the league.

I hope for his sake more so than for the team that he has a good game. I have a soft spot for blokes who will themselves to be better. Last year there were question marks, start of this year there were doubts, and now here he is debuting and NOT at Sinclair's expense. Awesome effort and good luck to the big fella

Remove this Banner Ad

Back