Past Darcy Cameron - traded 2019, to Collingwood for 4.4375 Craig Birds

With pick 48, the Swans select Darcy Cameron from WA.

204cm/101kg
18 July 1995
Ruckman

AFL.com.au Bio:
"After being overlooked at the 2013 NAB AFL Draft due to queries about his pace and consistency in competing, Cameron has come back into contention after a breakout season for Claremont - just as AFL clubs are on the lookout for mature-age big men. Cameron booted 36 goals, while averaging 11 disposals and nearly six marks per game in the WAFL's senior competition. He backed that form up by recording a personal-best 13.1 beep test at the WA state combine."

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't mind this one, (probably slightly bias as a Claremont supporter but wanted him over Nankervis in their draft year), was hoping we'd snag him as a rookie given the injury history of the rest of our rucks...but said injury history may be the exact reason they chose him on the senior list so he's ready to go without a LTI needed for promotion.

We needed another Ruck and/or KF on the list too, and one that can actually take a grab too (Cameron brought in some big marking hauls this year). As far as KF's go Franklin/Tippett entering their 30's next year, Reid consistently injured, Naismith likewise and Sinclair just useless. Cameron probably best of both of those positions available at pick 48.

Had a good year playing more as a Forward/Ruck this year (spent much more time in the ruck in past seasons) Club's leading goal-kicker, though has had a few good games playing first ruck when needed, from memory had a massive game last year? or maybe the year before? where he fell just shy of the WAFL hit-out record. Can never predict how well they'll transition into AFL level but definitely has shown enough to at least get a shot at it, don't think he'll be an absolute superstar but there's enough there to work with if our development coaches can find a way to piece it all together.
Given his form in the WAFL this year it'd be slightly disappointing if he didn't play well consistently well at NEAFL level to put his hand up for selection. I'll back him to definitely jump Sinclair, if given a fair run at it, and given Reid, Naismith, Sinclair and Tippett's injury history he might've fallen on his feet and could play end up playing a fair bit of footy next year if his body holds up up.

Darcy CAMERON (Claremont)
Totals

• 18 games
  • 32 goals
  • 13 behinds
  • 7 times in the best players list
Averages
  • 8.0 kicks
  • 3.5 handballs
  • 11.5 disposals
  • 5.5 marks
  • 2.1 tackles
  • 12.8 hitouts
  • 1.1 inside 50s
  • 0.2 rebound 50s
  • 1.1 frees for
  • 0.7 frees against
  • 79.00 DT points

xymSRfC.png

How do you rate him?
I wanted us to take him with our last pick in the 2013 draft (which we ended up passing on because we listed Derickx as a DFA). He is much better now and has demonstrated the ability to be more flexible and play in another position. He's a less-well-off man's Rory Lobb (also from WA, who I really wanted us to draft).

There's really very few decent matchups for someone of his size and ability in any state league in the country, and he was at times unstoppable as a forward. He won't have it that easy in the AFL but I see no reason why he can't be competent. He doesn't have the athleticism of the guys like Lobb and Ben Brown but he isn't as bad as Nankervis, and has a few decent assets. I don't know the rest of the draft class well enough to know if we took him too early.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I wanted us to take him with our last pick in the 2013 draft (which we ended up passing on because we listed Derickx as a DFA). He is much better now and has demonstrated the ability to be more flexible and play in another position. He's a less-well-off man's Rory Lobb (also from WA, who I really wanted us to draft).

There's really very few decent matchups for someone of his size and ability in any state league in the country, and he was at times unstoppable as a forward. He won't have it that easy in the AFL but I see no reason why he can't be competent. He doesn't have the athleticism of the guys like Lobb and Ben Brown but he isn't as bad as Nankervis, and has a few decent assets. I don't know the rest of the draft class well enough to know if we took him too early.

This is the most optimistic I've ever seen you.

Very happy that Cameron has finally been given a chance as he has deserved it after a good year at Claremont.

Also happy that he has gone to a good Club.

Good selection for where you picked him up and I wish him all the very best.

Being a Claremont player I will always be keeping an eye on how he is going.

I really like this selection. The amount of games Nankervis played out of nessecity, we needed a Ruckman in the rookie draft/national draft to cover that loss.

I don't mind using our last pick, on someone that, at worst will be good depth. Best case scenario, is he can keep improving.

Would prefer him to any u/18 project ruck.

Great selection

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very happy that Cameron has finally been given a chance as he has deserved it after a good year at Claremont.

Also happy that he has gone to a good Club.

Good selection for where you picked him up and I wish him all the very best.

Being a Claremont player I will always be keeping an eye on how he is going.

As a West Coast fan, Out of curiosity, with the West Coast ruck situation (Injuries to Nic Nat and Lycett) was there any talk that D. Cameron could be a player to select in the ND or RD?

Artax

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
As a West Coast fan, Out of curiosity, with the West Coast ruck situation (Injuries to Nic Nat and Lycett) was there any talk that D. Cameron could be a player to select in the ND or RD?

Some of my WCE supporting mates were hoping to snag him & weren't happy when we did.

Absolutely and I believe that he was on the list for pick # 52 and you guys beat us to the punch :thumbsu:, we had pick #52 you had # 48.
We had talked with him over the last two months and one of our local jurno's had been saying for a month now that he was marked as a player of strong interest with our third pick.
The annoying thing is we almost drafted him as a Rookie this time last year and what that saying " he who hesitates is lost", many were lamenting on our board at this time last year after Sinkers left to join you guys ;) that we should have pulled the trigger on Cameron. We had done all the medicals and interviews etc etc. After Nic Nat went down there was a sense of massive disappointment and some anger that we had not taken Cameron a year earlier.

I am a Claremont member and have watched him this year come of age.
Not saying that he will be a star but ..... let me put it this way..... I would have been rapt had we picked him up with pick # 52, he has really grown as a footballer over the last season. He is the perfect mix of a forward that is more than capable of doing a very handy job as a genuine ruckman.

It that old classic line "big guys take longer to develop"...... as you are fully aware with Neismith.

As for Cameron ...well done your gain out loss.

Your Club drafts well because they aren't afraid to go a little earlier to get what you need , where as our plonkers always try and be to cleaver by half.

So our fall back position is wait for it ..... drum roll....... Drew ****** Petrie, can you believe that :eek::mad:

Absolutely and I believe that he was on the list for pick # 52 and you guys beat us to the punch :thumbsu:, we had pick #52 you had # 48.
We had talked with him over the last two months and one of our local jurno's had been saying for a month now that he was marked as a player of strong interest with our third pick.
The annoying thing is we almost drafted him as a Rookie this time last year and what that saying " he who hesitates is lost", many were lamenting on our board at this time last year after Sinkers left to join you guys ;) that we should have pulled the trigger on Cameron. We had done all the medicals and interviews etc etc. After Nic Nat went down there was a sense of massive disappointment and some anger that we had not taken Cameron a year earlier.

Not saying that he will be a star but ..... let me put it this way..... I would have been rapt had we picked him up with pick # 52, he has really grown as a footballer over the last season. He is the perfect mix of a forward that is more than capable of doing a very handy job as a genuine ruckman.

It that old classic line "big guys take longer to develop"...... as you are fully aware with Neismith.

Your Club drafts well because they aren't afraid to go a little earlier to get what you need , where as our plonkers always try and be to cleaver by half.

So our fall back position is wait for it ..... drum roll....... Drew ****** Petrie, can you believe that :eek::mad:

Cheers for the quality response.

He is the kind of player locally, that is a perfect rookie nomination. I am surprised from your wrote up you didn't do it, especially losing Sinkers. I guess you can't predict 2 starting Rucks injured long term with only Giles really as back up. A lot of the AFL ruckmen, Naismith included form your post come from the rookie list. Rucks are generally players that you need to take a gamble from promising signs/scope for improvement as opposed to necessarily actual output.

I see him currently as a direct replacement for Nankervis as a depth Ruck/Forward that would be able to play in the AFL when called upon. From what I have read/seen of him, if he continues his progression it is not out of the realm of possibility it could leapfrog Sinclair and even replace Tippett moving forward.

Haha, some on our board where talking about Petrie as a stop gap, but I am stocked we just beat you to the punch for a mature aged Ruckman that can fill in/potentially become a good AFL player. I hope you dont fall to that level ;)

Again thanks for the quality response on him as you are a Claremont member, us Swans fans dont see much of the WAFL (Though there is one mode on the board that really rated him as an option for us as he was from WA).

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC

That's not a fall back position - that's a fall over position. I understand your angst. But hope the kid makes it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I played colts with Darcy and his dad coached us for a year or two. Haven't really seen him at all since high school but I know he trained with Essendon a few years ago, and there were some issues that made clubs a little hesitant to take him. No idea what they were as he's by no means carrying any sort of off-field baggage, but yeah.

I heard he was pretty crushed the first and second times he was looked over but he's clearly put his eggs in the football basket so it's good on him that it's worked out.

Back