Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Initially there to fill a gap in Brodie Grundy’s absence, now sits as one of the best ruckmen in the competition for the last 9 weeks since Grundy went down. Would have to be in the discussion of being in the top 3 rucks in the comp right now.

You will laugh but he has been consistently Collingwood’s best player for most weeks, and a huge reason Collingwood has now gone 6-2 in that period of time and competing for a finals spot.

To break it down further and justify the call, refer to these stats as per below article -

• Top 25 and averaging over 5 tackles per game since Round 7 (Only Blicavs the other tall in the top 25, rest are mids)
  • #1 in the competition for scoring launches since Round 7 with 5.4 per game.
  • Clearances avg of 3.4 per game since Round 7, ranked top 10.
  • 7th in the AFL for contested marks per game.

The rise of in-form ruckman Darcy Cameron: FOOTY TALKING POINTS

Don’t mind if I’m laughed out the room by the usual suspects but comfortable with what Cameron has produced as a ruckman, averaging over 105 AFL points a game for 8 rounds, playing in unsuitable conditions for a tall/ruck yet contributing massively with about 3 BOGs off the top of my head.

Would have to be in the top 3 best rucks in the competition right about now.

Anthony Miles' second half of 2014 > Darcy Cameron's first half of 2022

Initially there to fill a gap in Brodie Grundy’s absence, now sits as one of the best ruckmen in the competition for the last 9 weeks since Grundy went down. Would have to be in the discussion of being in the top 3 rucks in the comp right now.

You will laugh but he has been consistently Collingwood’s best player for most weeks, and a huge reason Collingwood has now gone 6-2 in that period of time and competing for a finals spot.

To break it down further and justify the call, refer to these stats as per below article -

• Top 25 and averaging over 5 tackles per game since Round 7 (Only Blicavs the other tall in the top 25, rest are mids)
  • #1 in the competition for scoring launches since Round 7 with 5.4 per game.
  • Clearances avg of 3.4 per game since Round 7, ranked top 10.
  • 7th in the AFL for contested marks per game.

The rise of in-form ruckman Darcy Cameron: FOOTY TALKING POINTS

Don’t mind if I’m laughed out the room by the usual suspects but comfortable with what Cameron has produced as a ruckman, averaging over 105 AFL points a game for 8 rounds, playing in unsuitable conditions for a tall/ruck yet contributing massively with about 3 BOGs off the top of my head.

Would have to be in the top 3 best rucks in the competition right about now.
Nobody is laughing.

He's a gun.

One of those players who you have full confidence in to nail a crucial set shot. He's versatile, disciplined and clutch in the big moments. If you dropped someone like him into Carlton's team I reckon they'd go all the way. Gun

One of those players who you have full confidence in to nail a crucial set shot. He's versatile, disciplined and clutch in the big moments. If you dropped someone like him into Carlton's team I reckon they'd go all the way. Gun

Reminds me a bit of Hale.

Give him to us I haven’t seen a ruckman since Ottens. Don’t be greedy

Will be interesting to see how the Pies line up when Grundy is back.

Could see Brodie playing as a huge mid and rucking around the ground, ala Tim English, with Cameron taking a lot of the centre square ruck work then pushing forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s had some favourable match ups. Keefe’s a key defender. Gawn could barely move and Jackson was outsized against Cox. Sweet, Reeves, De Koning on a down game.

His best game was probably the Freo game where he stood up against Darcy who’s a proper test.

But he’s 204cm and not hopeless in the hit outs then very good at ground level and around the ground in the air.

WAFL key forward who’s tall enough to ruck becomes a good ruck when given the chance at 24-27 years old is probably not a surprise.

How he fits with Grundy and if they can get the percentages right of forward/ruck will be interesting. Cameron has forward craft but might not be dynamic enough to regularly impact if he’s stuck forward for 70% of games. Grundy hasn’t got much forward craft but could be a tricky match up in the right forward role. Neither are as threatening as Big Mase on his good days. The Pies would love to dump that huge Grundy contract but I doubt there’s any takers.

He’s had some favourable match ups. Keefe’s a key defender. Gawn could barely move and Jackson was outsized against Cox. Sweet, Reeves, De Koning on a down game.

His best game was probably the Freo game where he stood up against Darcy who’s a proper test.

But he’s 204cm and not hopeless in the hit outs then very good at ground level and around the ground in the air.

WAFL key forward who’s tall enough to ruck becomes a good ruck when given the chance at 24-27 years old is probably not a surprise.

How he fits with Grundy and if they can get the percentages right of forward/ruck will be interesting. Cameron has forward craft but might not be dynamic enough to regularly impact if he’s stuck forward for 70% of games. Grundy hasn’t got much forward craft but could be a tricky match up in the right forward role. Neither are as threatening as Big Mase on his good days. The Pies would love to dump that huge Grundy contract but I doubt there’s any takers.
Grundy definitely needs to add more strings to his bow as a tall. Plays the extra midfielder position really well and supports well in stoppage with tackling and clearances but has never really shown enough as a forward. If he can become abit more damaging as a forward, it’d make the Cameron/Grundy duo so bloody good.

As you said, Cameron is an okay forward though but can’t be relied upon to kick 40 goals a year playing 70/30 up forward.

Need one of the two to create more headaches for defences by plucking more pack marks inside forward 50 to be more impactful for Collingwood. It’s annoying because Cameron can pluck em around the ground really well though and has saved Collingwood’s backside multiple times behind play. Handy forward, but not scary - best work seems to be as a ruck.

Has been really good. I'm very interested to see how they structure up once Grundy returns from injury.
If you’re in McCrae’s shoes, you trying something different or going back to the Grundy in the #1 ruck position with Cameron playing 30/70?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back