Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Ellen kicked 5 goals in a grand final, didn’t make him anything more than an average footballer across the course of his career. Darren Jarman was universally panned for his first grand final performance.

One good grand final performance a career does not make. Nor does a poor performance mean you should be written off forever.

With regards to Jack Graham I think there’s a significant case of right place at the right time, no doubt he played inspired footy on GF day, as did most of the Richmond side. The question becomes whether he can make a decent career out of himself, at another club he struggles to make their best 22 last year.
Toby Thurstans

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And that's why there's question marks over our current coaching group. They'd never throw up something like that. Our opposition know exactly what we'll do. If they're beating us they can basically just sit back and enjoy the show. They don't need to keep their wits about them in case they need to counter a couple of moves that changes the dynamic. Our group roll with a set and forget system.
Think you are overstating this. We do change things from time to time although on the lower end of the frequency scale.

For example we positioned Sloane differently at the start of the GF than Hardwick expected

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...p/news-story/a860cdc181abfc6f490179f5d57963fb

“Initially we wanted Dion to run with him while still maintaining some offensive impact, but what Sloane was doing was staying in front of the contest, which put Dion in a bit of a predicament. Because we didn’t want him playing as a defender.“ - Hardwick

Imo, other clubs will regret not taking Fogerty. Was a blessing for us that he was hampered in 2017.

You may be right that we are weighting a little more for being a local, but I doubt it will make much difference going forward, as need to select the best talent, regardless of where they are from.
I would guess we are probably weighting local a bit more than before. The chance of taking two SA lads from two picks at random from the draft pool is relatively low.

It’s one thing to lose the 27+ y.o. players, but losing Lever (21) and Charles (23) in one go, and clearly Gov (23) seriously considered it - may have been enough of a jolt to cause a re-think

I would guess we are probably weighting local a bit more than before. The chance of taking two SA lads from two picks at random from the draft pool is relatively low.

It’s one thing to lose the 27+ y.o. players, but losing Lever (21) and Charles (23) in one go, and clearly Gov (23) seriously considered it - may have been enough of a jolt to cause a re-think
If we're just looking only at our National draft picks where we picked Fogarty and McPherson, then you can argue it's mere coincidence they're local lads. However, if we also look at the Rookie draft picks, they are also ALL local boys (except Murphy who is from Victoria but has been playing in SANFL with us).
The probability of us picking local players due to chance alone is extremely low. More likely there are other factors influencing the selection process for this year's draft.

If we're just looking only at our National draft picks where we picked Fogarty and McPherson, then you can argue it's mere coincidence they're local lads. However, if we also look at the Rookie draft picks, they are also ALL local boys (except Murphy who is from Victoria but has been playing in SANFL with us).
The probability of us picking local players due to chance alone is extremely low. More likely there are other factors influencing the selection process for this year's draft.
The Crows often go local in the RD, and have done for years.

Early in the ND, it makes no sense to go local if there's a more highly rated non-SA player still on the table. You go with the "best available talent", because there is often a significant gap between the best local and the best non-local.

By the RD, most of the players are speculative prospects. They're all flawed in some way - they would have been picked earlier if they weren't. The gap in talent level is significantly less, so they're more inclined to go with the local prospects. Relocation costs may also be a factor.

Last edited:
And that's why there's question marks over our current coaching group. They'd never throw up something like that. Our opposition know exactly what we'll do. If they're beating us they can basically just sit back and enjoy the show. They don't need to keep their wits about them in case they need to counter a couple of moves that changes the dynamic. Our group roll with a set and forget system.
Our coach tends to back players in which in itself is a good thing but I think he overdoes it. There is a time and a place to mix it up. He is the coach and needs to take charge sometimes. Otherwise this makes his coaching style too predictable.

Blight’s hand was forced with the absence of Modra but he also said that in his past losing Grand Finals with Geelong his forwards rarely performed in those games. He knew mixing the known lineup would throw it back at the opposition. He learned this through bitter experience. It was a gutsy move because had it not worked out it would have been on his shoulders.

I think Pyke will learn from his experience. Backing players in is fine but there will be times when he needs to take charge.

Our coach tends to back players in which in itself is a good thing but I think he overdoes it. There is a time and a place to mix it up. He is the coach and needs to take charge sometimes. Otherwise this makes his coaching style too predictable.

Blight’s hand was forced with the absence of Modra but he also said that in his past losing Grand Finals with Geelong his forwards rarely performed in those games. He knew mixing the known lineup would throw it back at the opposition. He learned this through bitter experience. It was a gutsy move because had it not worked out it would have been on his shoulders.

I think Pyke will learn from his experience. Backing players in is fine but there will be times when he needs to take charge.
That's 20 years ago .....the game has moved on, time to get out of the time-loop

Predictability = Cohesiveness .......very few game-day moves that will catch full-time opposition coaches "what-If Scenarios" ....that of course unless you unbalance your own team

Whatever move you can suggest .....opposition has already factored that move

They won't have factored the move if teams are always following the predictability/cohesiveness model. Why would they?

What would be good are some rehearsed options. Martin to full forward surprises no one but is still fricken hard to deal with and causes a defensive shuffle

How can we best use our flair players - Sloane, McGovern, ...um ...errr

Uh oh.

That's 20 years ago .....the game has moved on, time to get out of the time-loop

Predictability = Cohesiveness .......very few game-day moves that will catch full-time opposition coaches "what-If Scenarios" ....that of course unless you unbalance your own team

Whatever move you can suggest .....opposition has already factored that move

Our predictability on GF day did not result in anything like cohesiveness.

Yeah I've heard this story before...."anything from the past is no longer relevant". Take for instance the theory that tagging is redundant. Sloane will disagree with this as probably most Richmond supporters. Unlike yourself I think trends run in cycles. although I've never heard of "Predictability = Cohesiveness" Thats a new one on me.

Lever and CC definitely help me sleep at night, seeing we got more for them then what they offered to us as players; Danger and Gunston are missed opportunities unfortunately.

And providing we can get a solid return for Sloane, I am all for it because is there a more overrated concept in the AFL currently then player retention?

Would happily give up a 28 year old Sloane if it netted us Rankine. However, would rather keep him.

Got a quandary lads? Looking for other sport comparison for when Darcy tears the league a new one this year. Is Dan Marino or Wayne Rooney better?

Marino - number one talent other teams immediately regretted not picking higher.

Rooney - man-child whose explosive power and skills dominated top-level opposition from day one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s a question ..... because a player is local, do we honestly believe that player is immune to a Jake Lever style offer?

I think it’s naive to believe the local lad will stick to the local team irrespective of any offer ...... Bock ?

Would happily give up a 28 year old Sloane if it netted us Rankine. However, would rather keep him.
Nah mike .... maybe if we were still developing , or a team ranked 6-12 .... but never never when your contending, because Rankine is out of the equation, despite all the hype

Here’s a question ..... because a player is local, do we honestly believe that player is immune to a Jake Lever style offer?

I think it’s naive to believe the local lad will stick to the local team irrespective of any offer ...... Bock ?

Bock had plenty of reasons to go, not just the money. The fallout from assaulting his partner and his mother being involved in the drug world would have been sufficient motivation for him to want a fresh start elsewhere.

Bock had plenty of reasons to go, not just the money. The fallout from assaulting his partner and his mother being involved in the drug world would have been sufficient motivation for him to want a fresh start elsewhere.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Got a quandary lads? Looking for other sport comparison for when Darcy tears the league a new one this year. Is Dan Marino or Wayne Rooney better?

Marino - number one talent other teams immediately regretted not picking higher.

Rooney - man-child whose explosive power and skills dominated top-level opposition from day one.

Aaron Rodgers - supposed to be pick number one overall and slipped to pick 24. One of the all time great QB's.

Jordon Thompson just said to the chair umpire 'You never do your Jobs right'

Is this a uniquely Australian thing where sportspeople never respect the umpire?

Neither won very much though

Yea, it's naive to think every Adelaide boy will be a sure thing to stay. Easy enough for someone to be tempted by the bright lights and big dollars on offer in Victoria. Aish had absolutely no intentions of coming back to Adelaide when he left Brisbane for example, he wanted the Melbourne buzz.

Back