Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s a question ..... because a player is local, do we honestly believe that player is immune to a Jake Lever style offer?

I think it’s naive to believe the local lad will stick to the local team irrespective of any offer ...... Bock ?
Noone is immune when there's money dangling in front of them. Especially when we're talking "holy moly, get rich quick!" kind of money.
Though the positive is that, if they're local and playing good settled footy for the Crows, then they're less likely to leave for interstate offers. The hassles of relocation and missing out on home cooking, and biological bonding with parents/siblings would have to be far outweighed with interstate offers, for a leave to occur.

Yeah fair call, prob forgot about his early part of career. Not exactly down to him though.

My nan could’ve won in the Ferguson era

Rooney always reminded me of WestCoasts Darling, or vice versa.
He has to be the most frustrating big game player Ive ever watched.

Yea, it's naive to think every Adelaide boy will be a sure thing to stay. Easy enough for someone to be tempted by the bright lights and big dollars on offer in Victoria. Aish had absolutely no intentions of coming back to Adelaide when he left Brisbane for example, he wanted the Melbourne buzz.

It happens, but history suggests it’s rare. Generally speaking as long as the SA lads are getting game time, there’s no significant off/on-field turmoil and they’re on a reasonable paycheck they tend to stay. I also don’t think interstate clubs put the effort into these players, that they would those from their home state. It takes a fair bit to convince a quality player to move state, generally it takes a combo of money and the go home to get it done. If you don’t have the go home, you’re probably going to have to add another $100-200k to convince them to move.

I think the other thing is these guys generally see a future in SA. They likely have a local girlfriend, with both families in SA, they’ll be thinking about kids in their late 20’s/early 30’s. Bryce Gibbs to an extent is a great example of this, for all intents very happy at Carltons n and in Melbourne, but both he and his partner clearly saw their future in Adelaide with family. Depends very much on the situation if the player, but generally happy locals don’t move away from home, unless it’s for mega mega bucks (see Gary Albert to GC ie double your salary kind of thing).

I

I think the other thing is these guys generally see a future in SA. They likely have a local girlfriend, with both families in SA, they’ll be thinking about kids in their late 20’s/early 30’s. Bryce Gibbs to an extent is a great example of this, for all intents very happy at Carltons n and in Melbourne, but both he and his partner clearly saw their future in Adelaide with family. Depends very much on the situation if the player, but generally happy locals don’t move away from home, unless it’s for mega mega bucks (see Gary Albert to GC ie double your salary kind of thing).
This !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back