Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

I don’t think we can really judge until he builds a greater aerobic capacity. But it’s an interesting discussion.
In the highlights above (his underage year 2016), he plays higher up the ground ie Tex and later in the highlights he plays as a big bodied mid. He has similarities to Fyfe when playing on ball imo.

Maybe in 3 years time he could build up to a 60/40 split (forward/mid). But it will also depend on our needs and where our strengths lie. Hopefully he at least builds the capacity to make it an option.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

I don’t think we can really judge until he builds a greater aerobic capacity. But it’s an interesting discussion.
In the highlights above (his underage year 2016), he plays higher up the ground ie Tex and later in the highlights he plays as a big bodied mid. He has similarities to Fyfe when playing on ball imo.

Maybe in 3 years time he could build up to a 60/40 split (forward/mid). But it will also depend on our needs and where our strengths lie. Hopefully he at least builds the capacity to make it an option.

Watching that video, the thing I like most about Fog is he plays his own game and says f*** the rest of you (oppo players)

We need more players like that

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I am a bit worried about him getting too heavy and losing his agility and speed. He moves quite well for a big fella, but he needs to trim down a bit. It will be a fine balance.
Funny isn't it. That was my initial thought too. Then realised thats he's about the same height as Tex, but listed as 10-12 kg lighter.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

This sort of stuff is what I'm thinking of when I say I'd like him in the midfield at times. I think he's capable. He's not a lumbering forward and he knows how to win a contested ball at a stoppage. I haven't seen him play long stints in the midfield so maybe I'm wrong.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex is all muscle, still an element of Puppy fat on Fogarty. Muscle supposedly weighs more than fat.

Although personally id say Tex is obviously bigger.

Reminds me of Pavlich the way he moves and if he steps up to his level we will be a out and out superstar and surpass Tex

And could play anywhere if he gets to Pavs standard

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reminds me of Pavlich the way he moves and if he steps up to his level we will be a out and out superstar and surpass Tex

And could play anywhere if he gets to Pavs standard

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nice to see a post from you that has made some sense in a long while! :)

I think Fog will play wherever the team needs him the most. I think people are being caught up with his forward ability with the strong marking and long range goals, and think he's played in the forward line due to lack of overall fitness. This may be all true, but I think the other main factor is that we have enough midfield stock already and with the loss of Cameron, injuries to Tex/McGovern/Lynch, we needed a guy who can come in and compete whilst averaging 1-2 goals. Him slotting in well in the forward line doesn't mean he can't fit well in other positions, and we've already had some glimpses of that in the backline on occasions. No reason why he can't do ok in the midfield either!

Overall, I think Fog will end up playing where the team needs him to play in. Team needs are likely in the forward line at this stage.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I’ve seen Darcy listed as 94kg in most sources. Surely Tex isn’t 10-12kg heavier.
Just checked - 8kg heavier on AFC website and Footywire

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 8.32.26 am.png

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I am a bit worried about him getting too heavy and losing his agility and speed. He moves quite well for a big fella, but he needs to trim down a bit. It will be a fine balance.
He did say earlier in the year he hoped to put on 2-3kgs over his career, playing at 96-98kgs of muscle.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Just checked - 8kg heavier on AFC website and Footywire

View attachment 508735

Jeez even Tex is vying a little on the heavy side. 102kgs at only 193cm? No wonder he looks like he's lumbering a lot these days.

Make him shed a few I say, get him covering the ground and involved in the play more!

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Jeez even Tex is vying a little on the heavy side. 102kgs at only 193cm? No wonder he looks like he's lumbering a lot these days.

Make him shed a few I say, get him covering the ground and involved in the play more!
A couple probably wouldn’t hurt. Missing large chunks of training through injury wouldn’t help. Interesting in this comparison with Fogarty is that Carey was listed at 192cm and 97kgs.

Fogarty doesn’t appear as developed through his upper body as the other 2, it’ll happen over the next couple of years

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Big forward

To me, he plays like a big forward. In fact, he started his career at 190/90, much the same as Fogarty, but a little shorter than Tex. It's interesting that he seems to have shrunk and got lighter over his career, losing 2 cm and 11 kg! I guess this might support John's point, in that he has had to lose weight to survive after the ACLs. Maybe they shortened his legs by 2 cm during the surgeries? :)

To resolve the definition of "big", I think we need to define the exact height/weight range over which they are included in this definition.

Sep 17, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching that video, the thing I like most about Fog is he plays his own game and says f*** the rest of you (oppo players)

We need more players like that

Did you see him do that on Sunday against GWS? He absolutely burnt Seedsman and decided to take the game on - love that he just says stuff ya and backs himself in.

Luckily it resulted in a goal, if it didn't not so sure would've been a good look.

Back