Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have shied away from BF since the weekend, especially the GBU thread, but feel compelled to post something positive here. It would be easy to criticise Fogarty if one looked only at the statistics, but they show nothing. I was really impressed by his game. The thing that stands out to me is his effort and efficiency. Every one of his involvements is a positive, with very few errors, and no laziness. (I'll let off that dropped mark, which could well have been paid.) His chasing, tackling, little taps, and score involvements are outstanding, notwithstanding the low official statistics. If he gets more ball, look out! ;) My only worry is that our injuries might lead to him getting injured/exhausted due to too many games this year: we don't want to wear out that cartilage.
I argue with my mate regarding the bolded statement quite a bit. My friend argues at the end of a game "He only had 8 touches, didn't do much at all", but my stance is the complete opposite and for many of the reasons you stated above. If he isn't clunking the grab, then his opposition sure ain't either - this is something I have always wished Jenkins would develop into his game. If we were 5 points down, siren gone and a mark inside our forward 50 with a kick to win it, who would you want with ball-in-hand? Fogarty for me and if it's outside 50 then I'd choose Tex.

I haven't been this excited about a draftee since Dangerfield. I really hope that Fog can reach those same levels, but not be such a selfish and entitled prick.

He could easily have more than 8 touches, but he isn't interested in getting easy ball. Perhaps with Tax back in, those little hit up passes that Mackay kicks will go to Fogarty...... or to his feet, or 20m over his head

What are you talking about?

This was the point I was making.

The family must have moved recently if they now live in the Yorke Peninsula.

I’ve never played poker. No idea what your deal.

To whoever Bicks is...please get your facts straight! Darcy's parents seperated and no one is to bless or blame; but Darcy's father was very involved in his life and fully supportive. He bought a qld property and had him as much as his ex wife would allow! As far as his Rostrevor schooling is concerned his father certainly contributed to the fees...not that it is anyones' business. Darcy is very lucky as he has 2 parents and their respective partners who love him and want the best for him as well as siblings who are all close. Please don't write crap!

To whoever Bicks is...please get your facts straight! Darcy's parents seperated and no one is to bless or blame; but Darcy's father was very involved in his life and fully supportive. He bought a qld property and had him as much as his ex wife would allow! As far as his Rostrevor schooling is concerned his father certainly contributed to the fees...not that it is anyones' business. Darcy is very lucky as he has 2 parents and their respective partners who love him and want the best for him as well as siblings who are all close. Please don't write crap!
If that's the case then you have my sincere apologies but I was basically quoting articles and supplied the links that were written in the lead up to the 2017 National draft that are still available online today. Like you and every Adelaide Crows supporter we'll all be hoping Darcy has a long and illustrious AFL career.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...f/news-story/787acd5632d21d4f7bda919d2bed6357

https://theaussieprocess.wordpress....indale-to-the-afl-the-story-of-darcy-fogarty/

I love Fog, I think he’s exactly the kind of character we need, but he is not a runner. As things stand, with him and Walker we have two slow forwards. Jenkins actually can move quickly when he wants to but has given us plenty of evidence that when it comes to defending he is not quick. Teams with quick, hard running defenders will switch back and forth to wear these kinds of players out, and then run off us.

It has happened to Fogarty plenty of times already. His player is streaming out of defence and he just can’t keep up.

Burton was doing it to Walker last night.

I just don’t think we can have all three in the forward line at once.

We should trade Jenkins this year, even if we also lose Gov and Lynch.

I love Fog, I think he’s exactly the kind of character we need, but he is not a runner. As things stand, with him and Walker we have two slow forwards. Jenkins actually can move quickly when he wants to but has given us plenty of evidence that when it comes to defending he is not quick. Teams with quick, hard running defenders will switch back and forth to wear these kinds of players out, and then run off us.

It has happened to Fogarty plenty of times already. His player is streaming out of defence and he just can’t keep up.

He has literally no tank, I think with appropriate conditioning (lol), he will be seen as one of the games' more mobile forwards in time. His overall 'speed' is good, it's just his endurance is shithouse.

He has literally no tank, I think with appropriate conditioning (lol), he will be seen as one of the games' more mobile forwards in time. His overall 'speed' is good, it's just his endurance is shithouse.
Definitely agree he needs to do everything he can to build his tank. He should lay off the weights altogether.

Completely agree

Tex + Fog is two strong marking targets. That’s already one more than Richmond.

Neither of them applies much defensive pressure, just not equipped to do it. Not sure we can carry more than two.

Lynch can get traded for pick 20ish. Delighted with something better if we can get it. Jenkins can get traded for pick 40ish and we will have to pay some of his salary. Our forward line will be better balanced for tough finals

Gov gets a pass if he wants to stay as he is a 2 way player.

It’s all about Darcy! Must manage our list to create the space for him to develop.

Im betting we are planning on using darcy as a jgov clone for the next season or few. Been training with the backs and playing back in the sanfl towards the end of the year. Imagine the fear an opposition foward would have knowing he was tearing in behind them to spoil or mark and just flat out ruin their day. Hes a brute, oldschool, and with almost the same height and weight of jgov. Just a few cms shorter. Imagine a backline like this next year...

Brown talia laird
Smith keath/doedee milera/sloane ( rotating through midfield)
Fogarty (loose man)

Backup/bench: otten, kelly, mcpherson, hartigan, cheney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im betting we are planning on using darcy as a jgov clone for the next season or few. Been training with the backs and playing back in the sanfl towards the end of the year. Imagine the fear an opposition foward would have knowing he was tearing in behind them to spoil or mark and just flat out ruin their day. Hes a brute, oldschool, and with almost the same height and weight of jgov. Just a few cms shorter. Imagine a backline like this next year...

Brown talia laird
Fogarty (loose man)

I’ve been thinking down a similar line. The kid needs gametime to develop and there’s no clear opening in the forward line. Get him fit, get him used to AFL footy before moving him forward once Walker/Lynch/Jenkins drop off.

Probably means Kelly/Cheney don’t get a game though, with Doedee perhaps covering the more mobile medium forwards.

Brown talia laird
Fogarty (loose man)

If all 9 were there it would be hard work as a forward.

I’ve been thinking down a similar line. The kid needs gametime to develop and there’s no clear opening in the forward line. Get him fit, get him used to AFL footy before moving him forward once Walker/Lynch/Jenkins drop off.

Probably means Kelly/Cheney don’t get a game though, with Doedee perhaps covering the more mobile medium forwards.
Cheney probably wont be on the list

In all seriousness Fog probably wasn't ready to play this year, he was last in every trial and played a lot of catch up. The fact he did actually play is probably showing just how highly the club rates him, similar to Milera in 2016 and 17.

Milera played two years of mediocre wish/wash football (which is probably what Fogarty will do next year too) and Doedee didn't play at all in his first two years, both now look like jets. It's just natural development and the great thing is Fogarty's deficiencies are very easily sorted... run, run, run and I've got no doubt that's what he is doing as we speak in preparation for this pre season.

And even measuring him on this year, he showed some serious ability, particularly at the start of the year when he was fresh.

Yep, if the club can get a proper pre-season program and Darcy's able to complete the whole thing without injury, then he will be primed to have a big year.
You can see he has the goods, but just blows up way too quickly. He will get there.
I think he will be a slow burn like Milera. Wait until he's in his early 20's. Will be a beast. Not expecting a huge 2019 from him though.

I'm still curious to see what the clubs long term goals are for him. At the moment he's a KP forward who can take a really good grab which I absolutely love and his aggression better not be beaten out of him.

There was a bit said about his ability to be a midfielder at the junior level which is interesting to think about. From what I've seen, he doesn't look like he has much speed but at his height, that shouldn't be a winning trait of a midfielder but he's got the marking ability along with the goal sense where you could isolate him forward if he was getting a tag as a midfielder.

Again, from small glimpse we got to see of him so far as an 18 year old, it's hard to imagine him ever having the tank to play as a midfielder and would we want him to be a midfielder ahead of a key forward target? Either way, hope it's an upwards progression from here as the early signs were super exciting.

Back