Welcome - Darcy Fogarty, AFC Pick 12 in the 2017 draft! | Page 97 | BigFooty

Welcome Darcy Fogarty, AFC Pick 12 in the 2017 draft!

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by deaneus, Nov 23, 2017.

?

How many AFL matches do you think Darcy Fogarty will play in 2018?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2018.
  1. Zero

10.3%
  2. 1-5 games

62.8%
  3. 6-10 games

19.2%
  4. 11-15 games

7.7%
  5. 16+ games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. It depends on form, injuries blah blah why even bother posting about the season or footy in general

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shaz2012

Shaz2012 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    I cant wait for both him and Murphy to get AFL level tanks. Not sure it can be done in one preseason though. We have been waiting for a long time for Hugh Greenwood to build his tank. Was a massive setback him getting injured during last years pre-season. I really hope to see him in tip top shape next year. I thought he was going to be the guy to take it to the next level this year. Doedee and Milera stepped up. Gallucci's turn this year I suppose. Hopefully Hugh is the guy that really surprises the AFL next year. Just hope he stays fit for the whole preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. James_37

James_37 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GCFC/Sturt/MLDFC
    Agreed, the goal with Fog is more about maintaining his current weight, but increase lean body mass and reducing the puppy fat. Unlike with Jenkins and Walker, we can't allow him to stack on kgs and lose mobility/become more injury prone. A couple of kgs is okay, he should be the 92-95kg mark though, not the 100-105kg mark.

3. James_37

James_37 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GCFC/Sturt/MLDFC
    This preseason is really all about building his endurance base, he's got the body type such that he'll put on muscle by just looking at the gym, so that side will take care of itself to an extent, its getting him capable of running out a quarter/game properly that's important.

4. Shaz2012

Shaz2012 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Agree 100%. It’s not just that he already has a pretty good physique. It’s because he is such a natural competitor that he doesn’t have that need that other kids do. Rather than him hit the weights, we could even let him build muscle by doing wrestling or something like that. Main thing right now is his tank though.

5. douglyzia

douglyzia Suspended

Adelaide
    [​IMG]

"Let's see how far we can push those hamstrings."

6. Crowbots are dead

Crowbots are dead Club Legend

Adelaide
    It’s interesting because we have a bunch of blokes poised to potentially having real break out years. Could be really exciting

Donkey Magoo and Shaz2012 like this.
  7. John Who

John Who Premiership Player

Adelaide
    I think the aim is to maximise his endurance and agility without affecting his strength.
    I can see him try and improve on all 3 facets this year, and he will then know in time what would be his fair ground for endurance, agility and strength. Probably also will depend on what he actually wants to become, a mainstay forward? Or a part-mid, part-forward?

His ideal weight should take care of itself once he figures out his maximal potential.

8. 1970crow

1970crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    I'm always surprised when Roughead's height is mentioned. He plays so much taller.

9. Thetrader15

Thetrader15 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Just need to play them

10. 1990crow

1990crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Tall players don’t know how to use their height in a marking contest. Those that do are invaluable (Tippett, Cox etc).
    Smaller KPFs who can time their marks but are also agile enough to wheel and kick long are also fantastic (Pav, Buddy, Tex, J.Riewoldt, Roughead).

Stiffy_18 likes this.
  11. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    Anecdotally I feel like the super tall KPPs seem to have more injury troubles.

The 193 ish ones more durable.

Delighted for someone to fact check me on that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Cap

Cap Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    So i was speaking to the a friend of a number of players through the AFL.

According to that person most of the issues with McGovern came due to the recruitment of Fog.

Apparently Mcgovern is very vocal, which is great when the nature of his speech is positive around the club, but Mcgovern isn't that type of person, apart from over rating his own ability, McGovern is like a lot of us on here who decide they don't like something at are prepared to tell everyone how shit things are.

Which is great in the context of the woeful CM camp bit really shit in trying to have a team all going in the same direction and not constantly having someone complain about everything.

Pyke picked McGovern at the end of the year only to try and retain him, otherwise he would have been in the twos which is where most of the players and coaches wanted him as Fog had been preferred by team mates and coaching staff in that 3rd tall role, both on ability and attitude .

So no pressure on you at all Fog.

Edit. Personally i still think we managed to lose a under 23 player due to our own shitness, but i found it an interesting story.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. Wayne's-World

Wayne's-World TheBrownDog

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Dragons FFC - West Adelaide
    So if i understand this correctly, McGovern was upset that Fogarty was picked in front of McGovern, even though McGovern was injured ??

So what was McGovern's reason for coming back overweight ? ....the Fogarty impact wouldn't have raised its head yet?

14. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    CDFC
    Everything I've ever seen, read and witnessed would seem the opposite.

15. Cap

Cap Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    More that the club wasn't as willing to put you with him once they'd identified a replacement.

Wayne's-World likes this.
  16. Cap

Cap Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    No idea, I'm still completely confused how how the club can lose another gun player to be honest.

King Elvis and FR0GGY like this.
  17. MRB37

MRB37 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Glenelg
    Why? Money talks quite loudly nowadays and being contracted means less and less.

18. Coopers

Coopers Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Do you guys remember 105kg walker pre knee? He was too big and strong for the game.

Huge Mullett at the time, he was a walking suspension. Strong arms left and right, just walking through everybody and getting the ball. Looked like he'd have every second week off though.

Kinda liked it, tbh.

19. Coopers

Coopers Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Dare I say...

Burton?

(Ours)

John Who likes this.
  20. 1990crow

1990crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Burton was good, but not that good. Too inconsistent in his efforts.

21. jumboprince

jumboprince FLACCID MEMBER

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Yahl Cricket Club

Did some research for you using the durability factor of KPPs 195 cms and under...191cms was the limit so Carey and Brereton could not be included...scary that they were both basically 6 foot 2

And the verdict is you are indeed right, not only are they more durable, have less parental issues but appear to be less dickheads in the group as well

kulak likes this.
  22. Bicks

Bicks Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
    "enigmatic" probably a better description, capable of the unbelievable but also capable of stuffing up big time.....in an on field football sense of course.;)

hugecannon likes this.
  23. John Who

John Who Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Fog has tremendous potential, but he’s nowhere near as good as McGov right now. That story surely doesn’t sound right. With another preseason though, can’t wait to see how much improvement the Fog can make!

24. Sanders

Sanders Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Maybe an interesting story, but obviously not a true one

25. Sanders

Sanders Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    100%