Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Hey Golum,

Tom Lynch: 21 touches, 14 kicks, 7 handballs, 12 marks, 2 goals, 101 fantasy points.... In a shortened match with an extended bench.

But yeah, Not that valuable a role right?
And the counterpoint is 21 touches - 3 contested.

So was he a cause of our dominance? Or a beneficiary?

I think probably a bit of both. His leading and delivery is a big part of our kick - mark - kick ball movement. See both sides of the argument though.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

I think probably a bit of both. His leading and delivery is a big part of our kick - mark - kick ball movement. See both sides of the argument though.
Gut running/endurance/footy I.Q./getting to the right spots...there is no counterpoint.....2 completely different players with two completely different roles and nary the two shall meet.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

The counterpoint is that it was a practice match that doesn't really tell us too much, especially given the weather. But the 3 contested from 21 isnt important. What is important is how much damage did he do with it. We cant have 22 players that all get contested ball if nobody is going to benefit from that on the outside and help us impact the scoreboard.

Gut running/endurance/footy I.Q./getting to the right spots...there is no counterpoint.....2 completely different players with two completely different roles and nary the two shall meet.
& a very important component of our ball movement.

When Lynch is shutdown we tend to struggle.

We need to look to develop other avenues too, but Lynch remains an integral part of our structure.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
& a very important component of our ball movement.

When Lynch is shutdown we tend to struggle.

We need to look to develop other avenues too, but Lynch remains an integral part of our structure.

Yep. And teams have been able to shut him down too. It was only a practice game, but also on the back of last season the question marks are not on Lynch or JJ. Fog's spot in the team looks to be through the skipper. Lynch had 12 marks, most in our team. Tex managed just 2 marks and a goal from 10 disposals. Fog got 4 marks and 2 goals from 7. I am not suggesting that we should be replacing Tex with Fog. Just pointing out that Fog is probably breathing down the skippers neck more than anyone else.

But for me no Tex, no flag. Fog isnt ready, so we just have to back the skipper in to play himself into form this season.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I would be shocked if he had more then 3 to be honest. Its not his job to get the in an under. And if he was getting higher contested numbers it would most likely be at the cost of the FAR more valuable role he plays.

If we want to play an attacking style of fast pace rebound footy, then we need guys like Lynch busting their gut up and down the wing and getting 18-20 uncontested possessions a game as the link from HB to HF.

So I would argue he is both the cause and beneficiary!

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The best return from any key forward on the ground with his two goals, including the sealer and he set up the icing on the cake goal to Jones with some pretty impressive work as well. Has an elite shot for goal, genuinely looks likely to put 6 up any time you get him a set shot in range.
Fog had similar output in last year’s JLT. To the point last year he was looking better than JJ! Tex was nursing his plantar fasciitis then.
How did Fog fare though against the other forwards during the main season?

Need to assess Fog on JLT performances and his tank/stamina.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Correct. Lynch should be no-where near the contested footy. If he's at the bottom of packs digging the ball out then he's wasting his time/talent!

I'd prefer to find him getting on the end what some posters would call "Easy uncontested possessions" but really they are possessions got from repeat 150m+ leads at top pace (and usually with a gassed defender 15m behind him).

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Correct. Lynch should be no-where near the contested footy. If he's at the bottom of packs digging the ball out then he's wasting his time/talent!

I'd prefer to find him getting on the end what some posters would call "Easy uncontested possessions" but really they are possessions got from repeat 150m+ leads at top pace (and usually with a gassed defender 15m behind him).

This.
It's no fluke he gets uncontested possessions. Opposition players and coaches know how important his link-up play is to our forward structure, yet he is still able to gather the majority of his possessions as uncontested. He breaks his defenders with his gut running and repeat efforts.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This.
It's no fluke he gets uncontested possessions. Opposition players and coaches know how important his link-up play is to our forward structure, yet he is still able to gather the majority of his possessions as uncontested. He breaks his defenders with his gut running and repeat efforts.
Nah he's an overrated hack ;)

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
This.
Yet Mackay does the same thing and posters go postal

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fog had similar output in last year’s JLT. To the point last year he was looking better than JJ! Tex was nursing his plantar fasciitis then.
How did Fog fare though against the other forwards during the main season?

Need to assess Fog on JLT performances and his tank/stamina.
To me FOG needs to address the 15-20 minute spans of time where he's completely unsighted. And yes Tank/stamina play a large part in this, but also understanding the role and how to get involved with correct positioning on the field (which will come with age and experience).

Its hard when its an extended bench in JLT to get a true vibe on how he's going in this regard which is frustrating, but having said that I still think there was only probably 4 or 5 times I really remember him being in the contest on the weekend. That needs to lift dramatically before he earns the start.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fog is a fair way off still IMO

Still needs alot more work done on his running

Don’t reckon he plays round 1
I actually thought his running style is was noticeably non fluid on the weekend.

Very upright body, low knee's and with a strangely short stride for a guy that's 194cm. The kind of running style that is more commonly seen in guys suffering dad-bod and playing forward pocket in the C grade of your local club!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually thought his running style is was noticeably non fluid on the weekend.

Very upright body, low knee's and with a strangely short stride for a guy that's 194cm. The kind of running style that is more commonly seen in guys suffering dad-bod and playing forward pocket in the C grade of your local club!
Sort of agree with this , his running and ability to cover the ground is a major concern

Would have been non issue in 1980s VFL but game has changed so he needs to chip away at it over next 3 years

Back