Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should start being concerned that Fogarty could be a bust.

He's still young, but he looks barely SANFL quality at the moment.
Lol, what?

2nd year blues. Showed enough last year.

He is only 19 years old.

How many 19 year old KPP are playing consistent AFL footy.

Seriously much of this board have no patience...

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
His game is perfectly suited to afl at the moment, a lot of TomaHawk about him. If JJ doesn’t play, we need Fog. Will be hard at the ball and in a one on one contest, won’t be outmarked. Is a good long kick and ok on the lead.

He just has to work on fitness and pace on the lead, improve them and he will become very good.

If playing him in defence improves him, so be it. People expect miracles from Kkp early, just look at Doedee’s path and feel confident in our development

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This argument to use Fogarty instead of Himmelberg is just wrong. Our structure works on the basis of having a full time ruck with a 2nd ruck playing forward. This is the same dynamic/structure as more than half the league currently.

The answer is simple, Himmelberg can play 2nd ruck, Fogarty can't - he isn't that player.

He will be more of a traditional forward, have patience with him - he is 19 years old, got a taste last year and now the club is being sensible and holding him off until there is a right fit to get him in the senior side.

If TEX doesn't get up for this weekends match, then different story, get him in - play him at CHF with Himmelberg covering FF / 2nd Ruck, you could even move Fog to FF and them Himmer's at CHF but we need that 2nd ruck coverage. If we start tinkering with the game plan / structure this time of the year, things could completely fall apart.

Fog is the future. Think of his career as a 12-14 year career, this is year 2 of that. Plenty of time.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
This argument to use Fogarty instead of Himmelberg is just wrong. Our structure works on the basis of having a full time ruck with a 2nd ruck playing forward. This is the same dynamic/structure as more than half the league currently.

The answer is simple, Himmelberg can play 2nd ruck, Fogarty can't - he isn't that player.

He will be more of a traditional forward, have patience with him - he is 19 years old, got a taste last year and now the club is being sensible and holding him off until there is a right fit to get him in the senior side.

If TEX doesn't get up for this weekends match, then different story, get him in - play him at CHF with Himmelberg covering FF / 2nd Ruck, you could even move Fog to FF and them Himmer's at CHF but we need that 2nd ruck coverage. If we start tinkering with the game plan / structure this time of the year, things could completely fall apart.

Fog is the future. Think of his career as a 12-14 year career, this is year 2 of that. Plenty of time.
How can our structure be so based around replacing a ruck that only misses 3-4 minutes a qtr?
Doesn't seem overly necessary to me.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Is Himmelberg really a ruck, though? Even part-time? I mean he's tall, but that's about it. What glimpses of potential I've seen from him have been purely as a forward - I have little faith in what I've seen of his ruck work so far.

beartoo

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Is Himmelberg really a ruck, though? Even part-time? I mean he's tall, but that's about it. What glimpses of potential I've seen from him have been purely as a forward - I have little faith in what I've seen of his ruck work so far.

That's the way it does seem at present. I guess he may mature into a better ruckman, but at present we lose nothing by playing Fog instead. Hartigan could ruck for 4 mins a qtr and do a better job.

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tough game for Davis to come in last week. Wont get much easier this week. Do we give him another go? (I dont think Lynch will get up).

Give the Fog a go I reckon. He has played higher up the ground this year so can go some way to help in that Lynch role.

Probably wont play him because his form isnt quite there but gee Id love to see him hit some bodies in the showdown.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do we have impossible tank standards?

Stengle came from Richmond, already had a couple of AFL preseasons under his belt (at a club that's performed well in recent times) and he's not fit enough for us.

The tank requirements make it tough for Fog to break in and extend the careers of Mackay and Douglas no end

ROB turned it around

Similarly, I reckon if Betts tweaked a hamstring Stengle would come in and do fine. His tank suddenly not an issue

Absolutely, because his tank isn't an issue in the first place.

Betts is the start and end of this issue (with anything else mentioned just being noise). Mind you, we picked up Stengle to be the long term replacement so it's not that problematic.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely, because his tank isn't an issue in the first place.

Betts is the start and end of this issue (with anything else mentioned just being noise). Mind you, we picked up Stengle to be the long term replacement so it's not that problematic.
Sometimes I think we’re a bit too rigid with structures. Seems to be Fog and Stengle are groomed to replace Tex and Betts when they’ve moved on. However, I cant see a problem with playing Fog/Stengle and their AFL counterparts together for a few games this year. If anything, it might open up some new ideas or options come September.

Sometimes I think we’re a bit too rigid with structures. Seems to be Fog and Stengle are groomed to replace Tex and Betts when they’ve moved on. However, I cant see a problem with playing Fog/Stengle and their AFL counterparts together for a few games this year. If anything, it might open up some new ideas or options come September.

Fog I do reckon so, but more that I don't think we get as much out of that whole linkman role that we believe we do. Not as much as we would by having another near constant target in the forward 50. Us going even slower kinda amplifies that doubt as your removing more of the good a linkman can do.

Stengle it is a bit more difficult. Defensive pressure is ridiculously important to a sides chances of success as your defensive structures are dependant on it (after all, the easiest way to break a zonal defense is to run at it, and most of your opportunities to do so come from the backline), so the rigidity makes sense there. You also have to question how much does it neuter both Betts and Stengle by running them together to cover that defensive aspect (as that is, by far, the most important thing a small forward does).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

So rigid that Fog has spent so much of 2019 in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tough game for Davis to come in last week. Wont get much easier this week. Do we give him another go? (I dont think Lynch will get up).

Give the Fog a go I reckon. He has played higher up the ground this year so can go some way to help in that Lynch role.

Probably wont play him because his form isnt quite there but gee Id love to see him hit some bodies in the showdown.

It’s a difficult one with Davis, you’d love to give him another shot at it, the Geelong game is a tough first up ask, but then a high pressure showdowns no better. Unfortunately I don’t think he stays, the opportunity was the few weeks before the buy to give Davis a taste of it, not now.

If Lynch doesn’t come up, I’d be bringing Fog in as that 3rd tall, slightly different role to Lynch, but the Tex potentially plays a bit higher instead.

Whilst not in good form, I think the SANFL is a tough place for a budding young forward. Poor skills, average conditions and generally 2x resting rucks clogging your space. I think he will play better at AFL level, plus wouldn’t be fussed with the whole showdown event.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Tom Doedee's watchlist: Darcy Fogarty
“This year, it’s been more of a challenge. I don’t think he had the pre-season he wanted and to play SANFL all year wasn’t in his mind at the start.
“He hasn’t been as consistent yet, but when he shows those flashes of dominance, he’s just a bull.”
As a defender, Doedee says he’s seen how Fogarty’s time in the backlines has improved his game.
“Leading pattern wise, he still has a bit of work to do, but going down back has helped him find out how defenders want to play on him,” Doedee said.
“He’s gone from just being a lead up forward and running around to now thinking ‘oh maybe my defender wants to get this angle or find my body’.
He’s had a few spells in the midfield too, where he’s had a real presence and his pressure around the ball has been good.
“But when he rolls forward, and he’s leading up to ball, throwing his body around and having an impact, he’s just so dangerous.”
Acknowledging Fogarty’s positional shift was sudden, Doedee said it took the 19-year-old some time to adjust.
“I think it was a bit difficult for him early on, because he didn’t spend any of the pre-season down back,” Doedee said.
“It’s tough to get continuity in that sense but he’s a natural footballer so wherever he plays he’s going to have an impact.”

For Doedee, Fogarty’s influence on and off the field is undeniable.
“He’s a hooligan and a larrikin, but he’s shy when the cameras come on,” Doedee said.
“In the locker room, he brings a spark and energy and laughter, and then on field he brings a physical dominance that the boys get around.
“When he puts his body on the line or lays a big tackle, it gets everyone else up and about.”

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He's a good kid is Tom.

I had a great discussion with a Crows development coach a couple weeks back. Pretty much echoed what Tom said, also that he needs to temper his on field frustrations a bit better. Currently he's very easy to play on, the mental side of his game isn't quite matching the talent.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's a good kid is Tom.

I had a great discussion with a Crows development coach a couple weeks back. Pretty much echoed what Tom said, also that he needs to temper his on field frustrations a bit better. Currently he's very easy to play on, the mental side of his game isn't quite matching the talent.
I think it’s the young age factor plus the interesting position of: half an AFL season in first year, then zero games of AFL in second year. No doubt would be a bit of confusion and frustration for the Fog. If he tempers his frustrations, improve the fitness, then I think he will get plenty of chances next year.

There is a lot of Roo in the Fog: tough nut, loves bumping into bodies, highly talented, multi-positional player.

Back