Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the suggestion was his turnaround was entirely on Fogarty himself and had nothing to do with the club

A wrong take, but it's a take for sure

Would love to hear what changed at club level between Rounds 10 and 11.

Up to Round 10 - Fog - 5 games, 2 goals 3 behinds, 9 disposals per game, 1.8 marks per game, 2 frees against per game.

RDS 11 - 23 - Fog - 12 games, 31 goals 11 behinds, 11 disposals per game, 4.75 marks per game, .9 frees against per game.

Its an extremely obvious point in when his season changed. So many on here victory lapping were the same ones providing all the bullshit excuses up to round 10 as to why he wasnt performing.

Would love to hear what changed at club level between Rounds 10 and 11.

Up to Round 10 - Fog - 5 games, 2 goals 3 behinds, 9 disposals per game, 1.8 marks per game, 2 frees against per game.

RDS 11 - 23 - Fog - 12 games, 31 goals 11 behinds, 11 disposals per game, 4.75 marks per game, .9 frees against per game.

Its an extremely obvious point in when his season changed. So many on here victory lapping were the same ones providing all the bullshit excuses up to round 10 as to why he wasnt performing.

I think that's the point where everything came together. It's not as simple as "bad one week, good next week" or "flicking the switch". It just so happens he finally got results in that specific week and not the prior week as part of a culmination of several factors building together. That's common in sport where part of form is luck.

Overall I think it's about a 70-30 contribution between the club and Fogarty as to the turnaround. Contributing factors in no particular order:

1) Getting a proper forward line coach who could instruct Fogarty on how to play like a forward

2) Settling Fogarty on a preferred position rather than chopping and changing his role during the season

3) The coaches backing Fogarty in rather than dropping him immediately after a poor run, giving him additional self belief

4) Improved forward structures giving Fogarty a more clearly defined forward role with increased separation to our other talls, along with better forward cohesion as a group and more experience playing together

5) The competition for spots introduced by Gollant's arrival during the period Fogarty was in the SANFL

6) Additional exposure at AFL level against strong teams building further valuable experience and learning how to beat AFL level defenders

7) Fogarty seeking specific mental health training to improve his confidence and mindset

8) Fogarty improving his fitness and work rate on the field

9) Fogarty implementing what he learned from coaches regarding how to play forward and general forward structures

And this is how history is re-written.

Pick a narrative. All I have heard is that his success came from us believing in him.

He had played 3 very ordinary games rd 1-3 in 2022. Dropped (rightly so) from rounds 4-8.

Came back in Round 9 and played like s**t. Played like s**t in rd 10 and then performed in rd 11. Why were you so sure he would be dropped after 2 games, when we gave him 3 shitty games before dropping him to start the season.

There was nothing revoltionary that changed with regards to selection, gameplay etc. He just started performing,
I'm sure because it's what we always do, have always done (well... since the drought began) and always will

Our best natural forward now, I have kept the faith since he joined as I felt 80% of the issues were down the idiotic coaching and management.

Very relieved with this news as there were no doubt other clubs starting to throw offers in the ring.

Think you are right. Thats why those changes between the 21st and 28th of May have changed our club forever.

News flash, constantly yo yo ing a young key forwsrd in and out of the team hampers development..... It's actually not so much nicks but Pyke was incredibly detrimental to Fogarty's development. He should be 20-30 games ahead of where he is now.

Pick a narrative. All I have heard is that his success came from us believing in him.

He had played 3 very ordinary games rd 1-3 in 2022. Dropped (rightly so) from rounds 4-8.

Came back in Round 9 and played like s**t. Played like s**t in rd 10 and then performed in rd 11. Why were you so sure he would be dropped after 2 games, when we gave him 3 shitty games before dropping him to start the season.

There was nothing revoltionary that changed with regards to selection, gameplay etc. He just started performing,
This is going to sound harsh, But I don't mean it too.

Rd 11 against Geelong there was 0 pressure, Geelong never got out of 1st gear. Rd 12 and 13 were again nothing games. So I don't really see it as when he started playing well.

The only thing I can put my finger on is he kicked goals and got some belief.

To me, the North game in Rd 15 was actually the game things clicked for him. After that he went to the level we had all expected

Confidence? Who knows. But really the test is Rd 1 2023.

On his day, Fog is as exciting as anyone. One of the very few forwards who could potentially win both goal-of-the-year and mark-of-the-year awards in the same year.

I think Fogs arrival this season has generally been a combination his persistence and natural ability, the club’s all-round development of his game, and the team is overall gel-ing better with the structures around him. So hoping he can go another gear in 2023!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally just glad we changed everything as a club between round 10 and 11 this year. All of those things holding Darcy back just magically changed that week and the rest is history!!!!!

I don't know whether it was us showing him the extra faith (despite him being in the SANFL 2 weeks prior), our miraculous improvement of inside 50 delivery, Taylor walker sometimes taking the #1 defender, to us not kicking the ball to only Taylor Walker - lets forever remember that 7 day period as the day our club started the climb out of the rebuild.

It's one thing for the dog to return to its own vomit, it's another to expect a treat for it.

You embarrassed yourself publicly. Tripling down isn't going to make it better for you.

If anyone ever wants to work out what to think about an issue, a decent starting point is just adopting the polar opposite of what you think.

“I think, as well, it was just a little bit of luck and being backed by the team and the coaches that gave me a little bit of confidence to play better football,” Fogarty said.

If anyone ever wants to work out what to think about an issue, a decent starting point is just adopting the polar opposite of what you think.

“I think, as well, it was just a little bit of luck and being backed by the team and the coaches that gave me a little bit of confidence to play better football,” Fogarty said.

Says it all, straight from the horses mouth. He needed to be backed and a little bit of luck.

This is going to sound harsh, But I don't mean it too.

Rd 11 against Geelong there was 0 pressure, Geelong never got out of 1st gear. Rd 12 and 13 were again nothing games. So I don't really see it as when he started playing well.

The only thing I can put my finger on is he kicked goals and got some belief.

To me, the North game in Rd 15 was actually the game things clicked for him. After that he went to the level we had all expected

Confidence? Who knows. But really the test is Rd 1 2023.
Confidence & self belief definitely changed... as he now has a strut that he belongs.

I believe good personal coaching was a factor in this happening.

Confidence & self belief definitely changed... as he now has a strut that he belongs.

I believe good personal coaching was a factor in this happening.
Dont tell me that strut didnt play a role in taking on 3 Blues players and kicking R20 goal of the round.

The length takes him to free agency

That, and if you were him you'd be wise to be cautious about committing too deeply to a club that has shown a remarkable ability to get wrong what to do with you.

Never know when you might find yourself as a midfielder or defender.

Does anyone reckon Berg can also make a similar step up? He's got a lot of good traits, just can't quite seem to put it all together. His SANFL season last year was by far his best IMO, was the first time he started to look a level above, hopefully it can translate up a level this year.
Maybe but he has less talent and is already older than Fog.

Biggest improvement could come improving his marking.

Back