Recommitted Darcy Fogarty [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't find another thread for him, but I believe he is out of contract at the end of the year and now the Crows are trying to turn him into a 'Dusty-type' big-bodied midfielder.

The resurgence of Taylor Walker has probably come at the worst possible time for Fogarty as he's now behind Frampton and Himmelberg for the second tall spot.

Plus the Crows have obviously just drafted Thilthorpe with a view to the future.

Kicked 5 goals against a decent West Coast side in 2019.

What is going on with Fogarty, Crows fans?

Would another club be able to tempt him with the offer of a guaranteed spot in the forward line?

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Couldn't find another thread for him, but I believe he is out of contract at the end of the year and now the Crows are trying to turn him into a 'Dusty-type' big-bodied midfielder.

The resurgence of Taylor Walker has probably come at the worst possible time for Fogarty as he's now behind Frampton and Himmelberg for the second tall spot.

Plus the Crows have obviously just drafted Thilthorpe with a view to the future.

Kicked 5 goals against a decent West Coast side in 2019.

What is going on with Fogarty, Crows fans?

Would another club be able to tempt him with the offer of a guaranteed spot in the forward line?
Wasn’t he one of the players that said he wanted to stay in SA when drafted? Rumor way mummy’s boy? Might be good to get away from mums cooking for a while

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wasn’t he one of the players that said he wanted to stay in SA when drafted? Rumor way mummy’s boy? Might be good to get away from mums cooking for a while
He came from rural SA close to the Vic border so no.

Wingard was the only SA player I can recall who made these types of representations.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
I find it hard to believe he isn't in the Crows best 22, I get it Crows have improved but even Prior to 2021 he wasn't playing much when Crows were a poor team.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Like I've said before every match I see him play I can't believe he hasn't played more he should have been invested more by Adelaide think it was little mistake.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
He is a good old fashioned stay at home forward. Good lead and grab with a beautiful kick. Unfortunately the Crows are trying to turn him into a mid and he simply doesn’t have the ability to find his own ball or play anywhere else on the ground. The Crows need to accept this and play him out of the goal square

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
He is a good old fashioned stay at home forward. Good lead and grab with a beautiful kick. Unfortunately the Crows are trying to turn him into a mid and he simply doesn’t have the ability to find his own ball or play anywhere else on the ground. The Crows need to accept this and play him out of the goal square
Yeah he is an old school forward like that gets low disposals but efficient he won't rack it up but think he should play every week he will kick you 2-3 goals a game.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think he'll surprise a few with stints in the middle. Probably has more natural instinct in that area but not this fitness to go with it at this point.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should genuinely look at the NFL. He's a thumping accurate kick and still young enough to get a college scholarship.

He looks about 10kg's too heavy, blows like a steam train with any sort of lead and mark.

He's not big enough to be a key forward and I think an AFL half forward or midfield role is way beyond him aerobically.

Jack Darling is the perfect comparison, he just doesn't have the same footy brain as Darling to get the ball enough, I also don't think he's anywhere near as good as Darling overhead at a similar height. Darling is also a workhorse.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really not sure why he can't get a regular game ahead of Frampton and Himmelberg.

I assume it's to do with "defensive pressure" and zones and other factors that are generally coaches trying to be too clever for their own good - which are important but kicking goals is important too.
I'd rather the guy who kicks 2-3 goals from 5-6 touches than averages less than a goal a game but gets 10-11 (especially talking about talls who aren't going to be ridiculously good with these extra disposals).

His ceiling would probably be Tim Membrey tier, due to issues with height. Still a very decent height to reach if he does it though and further than I think Frampton could ever reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should genuinely look at the NFL. He's a thumping accurate kick and still young enough to get a college scholarship.

He looks about 10kg's too heavy, blows like a steam train with any sort of lead and mark.

He's not big enough to be a key forward and I think an AFL half forward or midfield role is way beyond him aerobically.

Jack Darling is the perfect comparison, he just doesn't have the same footy brain as Darling to get the ball enough, I also don't think he's anywhere near as good as Darling overhead at a similar height. Darling is also a workhorse.
Ones is 21.... one is 28....

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I would assume there was questions about Fogarty's tank and fitness levels (he is solidly built) and whether he could run out 4 quarters at AFL level.

Having said that, Don Pyke's idea of playing him as a backman in the SANFL struck me as idiotic and arrogant from a control freak of a coach.

Would be surprised if he left Adelaide though, unless a club offers him $$$$$ he cannot refuse (Which seems to have been a pattern with the Crows losing several required players in recent years)

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Really not sure why he can't get a regular game ahead of Frampton and Himmelberg.

I assume it's to do with "defensive pressure" and zones and other factors that are generally coaches trying to be too clever for their own good - which are important but kicking goals is important too.
I'd rather the guy who kicks 2-3 goals from 5-6 touches than averages less than a goal a game but gets 10-11 (especially talking about talls who aren't going to be ridiculously good with these extra disposals).

His ceiling would probably be Tim Membrey tier, due to issues with height. Still a very decent height to reach if he does it though and further than I think Frampton could ever reach.
fog aint a chop out ruckman so hes never gonna take that spot that is currently taken by frampton or himmelberg..

the man fogarty will replace is walker. Unfortunately for fog, walker is in career best form at present. Can both walker and fog play in the same team?.. i think yesterday showed they can sometimes.. can they all the time though?.

thats why they are chucking fog in the mid in the sanfl and bursts in the mid at AFL level. He needs to further build his tank but he can do it.. and that will enable them to comfortably play both fog and tex in the same side.. but its not gonna happen over night.

himmelberg is dogshit at the moment.. So Frampton is the current forward/second ruck.. but both these lads are only keeping this spot warm for Thilthorpe who is building match fitness and form in the SANFL and will probably replace frampton sometime in the next few weeks.

ps.. just a side note.. tex and fog are the same height and about the same weight..

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Even Nick's said Walker was only in the team 'for the next week' after he kicked 5-6 against Geelong, thinking of playing the youth (ie Fogarty). Three weeks later Nicks is now thinking, how good is Tex, and has found another way to squeeze Fogarty back in (against the worst team defence - sorry North) and he kicked three goals (should have had 4 if Tex hadn't played on 20m from goal straight in front on a Fog free kick).
I'd say Fog is in the team now, will be hard to displace for the next 4 weeks, and will play better if Tex is playing so well.
Good thing is he can lead into deep pockets of pushed that way by good defence and still kick goals. Really hoping he can stay in the team now, too good not to.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're thinking of Dangerfield, Wingard, Bailey Smith, not Fogarty.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
He doesn’t look fit, carrying a lot of puppy fat. Looks like a country footballer. He is only good for 5 touches a game, lucky he can kick straight.
If it weren't for his kicking ability he would be lucky to still be in the list. Doesn't to get to enough contests.

He doesn’t look fit, carrying a lot of puppy fat. Looks like a country footballer. He is only good for 5 touches a game, lucky he can kick straight.
Ran PB's during preseason, so never been fitter.

Just needs to be given a decent block of games to come up to speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back