Senior Darcy Fort (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fort Becomes Loyal Lion Despite Rival Interest

230297_Darcy_Fort_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions ruckman Darcy Fort has committed his future to the Club by signing a new two-year deal to remain in the maroon, blue and gold until at least the end of 2025.

The 29-year-old has resisted interest from rival clubs to continue to stay at Brighton Homes Arena and help the Lions strive for further success.

Fort, who began his AFL career with Geelong before joining the Lions for the 2022 season, said he was ‘stoked’ to ink a new deal.

“I am extremely grateful that the Club offered me a new deal and I am really happy to re-sign and be a part of the future here,” Fort said.

“Looking at the group we have moving forward, I think we are going to be competitive the next couple of years and the brotherhood in this group is really impressive.”

The 204cm ruckman has made six AFL appearances in 2023, though has been knocking on the door for selection each week as one of the Lions best players in the VFL.

Brisbane Lions general manager of football, Danny Daly, said Fort’s re-signing spoke volumes of him and why the Club was thrilled to be keeping him on its list.

“For Darcy to re-sign with the us when other Clubs were interested in signing him says a lot about his character as a person on and off the field,” he said.

“I think the fact that he chose to stay at the Brisbane Lions also says a lot about the culture we have built at the Club and that people want to be here.

“Whenever Darcy comes into the team, he always plays the role we need him to and offers us plenty whether that be in the ruck or up forward.

“You only need to look at last year’s final against Melbourne where he came in when Oscar (McInerney) was out and basically dominated for us on the big stage to see how important his re-signing is for us.”

Fort has played 24 AFL games since arriving at the Brisbane Lions in 2022, where he has since collected 368 hit outs and 10 goals.

For some reason I thought Fort was already signed for 24 - perhaps not if he sigened for 2 more.
He was. He signed for an extra year on top.

Couldn't find a story about Darcy, so here's a picture of him having a sensible chuckle when he saw a life-size Daniel Rich cardboard cut-out in the crowd of the grand final parade.

F7KDOrIaAAAxHvw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back