Toast Darcy Fort

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Buzza's marking improved? He's never looked a particularly strong mark whenever I have seen him, I thought due to an issue with his eyesight - unless he's had that fixed? Seems to be clunking a few in the past few weeks though based on the reports, so maybe there's hope there yet!

I hope they give Fort another week - he wasn't any worse than Sav has been all year and I don't like dropping guys off the back of one poor game (Constable...). He definitely needs to be better in the air though - he resembled a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man at times on Saturday night.
People forget Buzzas first year he took some good marks..then last year they give him games and was not even in form..and had that bad game vs Crows and everyone give up on him

People forget Buzzas first year he took some good marks..then last year they give him games and was not even in form..and had that bad game vs Crows and everyone give up on him

Hmm, I must admit you've described me to a T there! I can't remember much from him that got me excited early on, but can vaguely recall giving up on him after the Adelaide game due to him dropping some sitters (was there a really bad one right in the centre of the ground?).

Still, I'm always willing to give a bloke a second crack and if he keeps performing well at VFL level, there's no reason he shouldn't get another run in the seniors if Sav & Fort continue to underwhelm.

Has Buzza's marking improved? He's never looked a particularly strong mark whenever I have seen him, I thought due to an issue with his eyesight - unless he's had that fixed? Seems to be clunking a few in the past few weeks though based on the reports, so maybe there's hope there yet!

I hope they give Fort another week - he wasn't any worse than Sav has been all year and I don't like dropping guys off the back of one poor game (Constable...). He definitely needs to be better in the air though - he resembled a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man at times on Saturday night.
I hope Fort gets another crack... But in your opinion TheWoodenSlug do you think the selectors will play him again this week or will they give him the chop... I want to give him another go over Sav, and Sav can go back to the VFL to find some of the pill...

His marking has never been a strength ..his kicking was always reasonable... even going back to champs in u18. Watching him a few weeks ago in the VFL he would take one fantastic mark, a really good high pack mark and then other times he would be trying to mark out of position which either would be a flat hand or fumbled.. so Im not convinced he reads it well thru the air and compensates.. its almost like he marks it if he somehow just manages to be in the right spot.

The other much mentioned question is his eye sight.. I wonder if playing at night make his vision less than ideal.. I know years ago playing sport in contacts was appalling for me. The Adelaide game was the cliff that he fell over .. he missed a couple of really bad ones ..in the middle by himself was just about the camel straw for some people. ..but it was a night game.. I wonder if he lost the ball?

Im not adverse to giving him a go again... but as I have said before ..I like him when I have seen him playing back. If NK is the future forward perhaps Buzz should be playing more back. Is he mobile enough to play there in afl? Yes if he doesn't fluff marks etc.. big guys that are not as agile as the small ones just can not afford to miss the marks...

There is no doubt that he can add more bang to a pack than Fort at this stage.

Last edited:
I hope Fort gets another crack... But in your opinion TheWoodenSlug do you think the selectors will play him again this week or will they give him the chop... I want to give him another go over Sav, and Sav can go back to the VFL to find some of the pill...

Yeah I'm with you - I'd give Fort another crack and give Sav a run in the VFL.

But what I actually think will happen is Sav will come back in for Fort.

His marking has never been a strength ..his kicking was always reasonable... going back to champs in u18. Watching him a few weeks ago in the VFL he would take one fantastic mark, a really good high pack mark and then other times he would be trying to mark out of position which either would be a flat hand or fumbled.. so Im not convinced he reads it well thru the air and compensates.. its almost like he marks it if he somehow just manages to be in the right spot.

The other much mentioned question is his eye sight.. I wonder if playing at night make his vision less than ideal.. I know years ago playing sport in contacts was appalling for me. The Adelaide game was the cliff that he fell over .. he missed a couple of really bad ones ..in the middle by himself was just about the camel straw for some people. ..but it was a night game.. I wonder if he lost the ball?

Im not adverse to giving him a go again... but as I have said before ..I like him when I have seen him playing back. If NK is the future forward perhaps Buzz should be playing more back. Is he mobile enough to play there in afl? Yes if he doesn't fluff marks etc.. big guys that are not as agile as the small ones just can not afford to miss the marks...

If I remember correctly, someone suggested he had issues with his depth of field vision....... as in he has difficulty judging distance.

That makes it tough for him, if that is indeed an issue, when a ball is approaching hard and fast, or long and high.

Yeah I'm with you - I'd give Fort another crack and give Sav a run in the VFL.

But what I actually think will happen is Sav will come back in for Fort.

I agree- i think if Geel are to be any chance of winning the flag then Sav has to be playing well in Sept - because i think the other 2 just aernt good enough

If you go back to the Eagles game - i think it was the 2nd goal of the game - Ablett kicked it - and Sav took a nice mark about 30 metres - he looked dangerous and made it look easy - i dont know if the other 2 would have

I agree- i think if Geel are to be any chance of winning the flag then Sav has to be playing well in Sept - because i think the other 2 just aernt good enough

If you go back to the Eagles game - i think it was the 2nd goal of the game - Ablett kicked it - and Sav took a nice mark about 30 metres - he looked dangerous and made it look easy - i dont know if the other 2 would have

Agree-i think the question though is can he find that in the afl or is he better off finding form in the vfl first against lesser opposition?

Agree-i think the question though is can he find that in the afl or is he better off finding form in the vfl first against lesser opposition?

I think they left him in the seniors as long as they did to explore your option A, and decided that wasn't working so moved to your option B.

If that works, good and well, but if not.....??

After watching kruegers highlights that the club posted on ig, im blown away by how strong his hands are. First grabbed every one of those marks he kicked his 6 from. Did not bobble a single one, included one that was absolutely rocketed at him from about 15 metres away. How that one didn’t slip through his hands was amazing. We won’t be questioning his marking ability when he eventually gets a game in the big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conditions were against him last week V GCS.

Flashed a bit here and there late but was not so flash early.

To be persevered with longer term as depth but needs to do more against the lower teams.

I could see Buzza getting a crack this week or keeping Fort and give Sav 2 weeks to breathe.

Go Catters

I reckon conditions didn't help for sure and probably could be preserved with, then there's always Zac Smith who's playing top footy albeit VFL, but we all know he's definately AFL when in form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back