Toast Darcy Fort

Remove this Banner Ad

G’day guys just curious going forward who do you see as your number1 ruckman to replace Stanley ?
Is it Abbot or Fort ?
Good luck for the rest of the season you’re the team to beat ,if you’re list stays fit at the pointy end of the season

Out of Abbott or Fort, I'd go with Fort - but I'd say the most likely answer is someone not currently on our list
Stanley is 28yr 5mth, while Abbott is 27yrs & 10mths - so not exactly like the guy who looks most likely to be next in line is significantly younger with an extended career left. Fort is only 25, so still time for him to continue to develop & maybe he'll seem the likely option in a couple of years

We know CS highly rates Sav, so will be interesting to see how he manages our playing list.
But Abbott is not up to being a regular #1 ruckman, it would seem.

It thought he warmed into it nicely. To clunk a few marks and kick three is a dream debut for a mature ager.

Scott’s comments were very interesting after the game. Of Ratugolea he said something like “I should be careful given what I said about Jordan Clark returning to the side, but let me be very clear, Esava was managed. He was managed.”

So I wouldn’t be locking in Fort for an extended run unless Stanley doesn’t recover.
Yeah Scott also said that he likes or favours Sav and he’ll probably be back in the team next week.

I'll take output over 'tricks' every time, particularly when we very rarely get to see these tricks.

Fort needs to be better at one-grabbing his marks, but he showed yesterday that he knows how to read the play and get to the right spots, something Sav really seems to struggle with.

Sav is obviously far more mobile than Fort and can provide some pressure when the ball hits the ground (though I think that aspect of his game is overrated), but I'd argue that, while that may have been important in previous years, with Rohan, Dahlhaus, Miers, Atkins et al buzzing around the forward line now we really don't need our CHF to be providing the pressure; we need him making contests in the air, taking marks and kicking goals. Fort did all of that.

Agreed. But will fort go out and do that against a good defense?? Bulldogs are one of the worst key defensive posts.

I can see sav clunking some big marks in big games and turning it on as he has in the past, I don’t know if fort has the skills to do the same.

It helps being a good kick thought doesn’t it??

Agreed. But will fort go out and do that against a good defense?? Bulldogs are one of the worst key defensive posts.

I can see sav clunking some big marks in big games and turning it on as he has in the past, I don’t know if fort has the skills to do the same.

It helps being a good kick thought doesn’t it??

Yeah no doubt the Doggies don't have the best key defenders. It's almost a shame we didn't play them a few weeks ago so Sav might have been able to capture a bit of form.

Still, watch Fort's second goal for instance. He was opposed to Easton Wood who might be undersized compared to Fort, but he's certainly no slouch. Wood got caught ball watching and Fort was able to sag off him to the top of the goal square, where he rag-dolled Hunter and kicked the goal. Sav doesn't seem at this stage to have the nous - or forward craft, as it's called these days - to slip his opponent and find/exploit a mismatch like Fort did with Hunter.

The fact that Fort seems a good kick is huge as well. Sav wouldn't be so under the pump if he'd nailed a few more of his chances; and Fort's game yesterday would be viewed a lot differently if he'd kicked 1 goal 2, for example.

Yeah no doubt the Doggies don't have the best key defenders. It's almost a shame we didn't play them a few weeks ago so Sav might have been able to capture a bit of form.

Still, watch Fort's second goal for instance. He was opposed to Easton Wood who might be undersized compared to Fort, but he's certainly no slouch. Wood got caught ball watching and Fort was able to sag off him to the top of the goal square, where he rag-dolled Hunter and kicked the goal. Sav doesn't seem at this stage to have the nous - or forward craft, as it's called these days - to slip his opponent and find/exploit a mismatch like Fort did with Hunter.

The fact that Fort seems a good kick is huge as well. Sav wouldn't be so under the pump if he'd nailed a few more of his chances; and Fort's game yesterday would be viewed a lot differently if he'd kicked 1 goal 2, for example.

Fort did nothing he has not done in the VFL.. it was not a surprise. His JLT game seemed to be some sort hurdle that some couldnt jump..but his form in the VFL showed he could kick OK.. kicked a few nice set shot goals.. and he has marked better than he did in the VFL. But he will need to be able to mark better.. he is not a big body and he will need to show sticky finger more often making when moving and on the lead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

time will tell, lets see when Fort plays 25 games and time will tell..
I'd be surprised if he gets 25 games tbh, but good luck to him if he does.
The competition for ruck spots has heated up.

Good point.
If Smith hits his best rucking form, we could see Stanley, Fort, Sav, Hendo... all vying for that spot??

How they play CHF is what really counts and so far Fort has shown he can.
Second ruck importance pails by comparison if Fort kicks 3 and causes another 3.
Stanley’s the ruck 90% of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back