Senior Darcy Gardiner (2013-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely love this. Imagine the levels his s**t talking will take when he is an All-Australian and premiership defender!

The question marks over his offensive abilities have gone for me. Usually uses the footy quite well.

And defensively he's developing very nicely.

Wasn't a good matchup for Thomas though.

He is still far too raw in my book to be playing seniors, but you can see why Leppa likes him.

He earned a well deserved ovation from Lions supporters when he put a great sheppard on Majak Daw which allowed the Lions player with the ball to pinpoint a pass to Beams who goaled from 50m out.

He definitely doesn't hold back when it is his time to go. I just don't think he has got the fitness / strength at this extremely early stage in his career - but that should come with time.

Not having a pre-season due to a foot injury (I think) would explain a lot and therefore should give is something to look forward to next year if he gets one under his belt.

With a young KPP getting a solid go in his first year, even if he has a pretty bad case of second season syndrome he should be well ahead of the curve by the time his body is fully mature at 23. Very excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably wouldn't have a game yet if we had a full list but the fact that he has played and hasn't looked totally out of his depth is great for his development you would hope. Just looking at him, you get the impression he might be an early developer for a medium-size tall and that we won't have to wait until he is 23 to see his full potential.

Remember there was a lot of talk even before round 1 that he would be playing a lot of footy this year, this was before we were decimated by injuries. The coaches obviously have a huge opinion of him and it's not hard to see why after the games he's played. Very excited about Darcy, going to be an absolute weapon in years to come.

We drafted some great kids last year but Darcy is easily my favorite. Seeing him giving it to both Martin and Carlisle was great however seeing him have a go at Sauce when an experienced player didn't do the team thing says to me that he won't accept anything less than everything it takes to win... That kind of attitude is how you build/maintain the right culture.

No disrespect to Sauce intended he was clearly playing under duress and was a superhuman effort to even be out in the field.

We drafted some great kids last year but Darcy is easily my favorite. Seeing him giving it to both Martin and Carlisle was great however seeing him have a go at Sauce when an experienced player didn't do the team thing says to me that he won't accept anything less than everything it takes to win... That kind of attitude is how you build/maintain the right culture.

No disrespect to Sauce intended he was clearly playing under duress and was a superhuman effort to even be out in the field.

I couldn't agree more Charles. Love watching this bloke, really going to harden up our back line, just wait till he gets 25-30 games under his belt.

Darcy got involved in a prolonged wrestling match with Jarrad Grant in the third quarter over the weekend. Interestingly, Grant subsequently was fined for wrestling while Gardiner wasn't.

From the limited viewing at the game (I was way down the other end of the ground) and on TV, it appeared that once started, Gardiner refused to continue the fracas and appeared to be trying to extricate himself - Grant was the one who prolonged it and ultimately paid the price.

Darcy seems to have an absolute talent for upsetting his opponent in his limited appearances so far; nice to see some mongrel in the backline with him, Goose and occasionally Rog.

The best thing I saw was about 2 minutes before the scuffle with Grant.

Gia had just come on, and the dogs were chipping and probing around forward pockets. Gia was ducking and weaving, calling, trying to find a dangerous spot to lead into.

It seemed like Brisbane were still adjusting to Gia arriving there, and were shouting between themselves, working out the matchups.

Darcy ended up on Gia, and Gia was trying the 'old dog too smart for young pup' stuff on him - pumping and faking.

Dizzy kept contact the whole time, arm by his side, but dropped his shoulder into Gia about 7 or 8 times! With some serious venom too.

Gia just glared at him, but did nothing.

Now I'm not saying Gia is a known hard man or anything, but Dizzy's willingness to put that kind of physical pressure on a guy who's played 10 more years than him - after 6 games - had me literally laughing out loud.

Color me impressed with Dizzy.

Last edited:
Best game of his young career today I thought. Super impressive. 22 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, and best of all he antagonised his opponent and sucked in 4 free kicks for:p He looked like a 100 gamer out there today and surely is a huge change to win the rising star nom this week. Players have received them this year for inferior games to Dizzy's today. We have a 200 gamer on our hands here:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back