Senior Darcy Gardiner (2013-)

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Season Review: Ah Chee & Gardiner

Callum Ah Chee continued to serve as Chris Fagan’s troubleshooter in 2021 while Darcy Gardiner was forced to battle through one injury after another, with some patches of solid form in between.

It was a frustrating year for Gardiner whose pre-season was interrupted by the knee injury which forced him to be a late withdrawal from the 2020 preliminary final against Geelong.

When he was eventually declared fit, he was raced straight into the side for the Round 4 clash with the Western Bulldogs, without having played a game since the 2020 qualifying final win over Richmond.

And he had an immediate impact, gathering 22 possessions in a tough day down at Ballarat.

He backed up with a strong display the following week against Essendon but against the Lions’ next opponent Carlton he was concussed early in the game and forced to miss a week.

He was back in the side and back in form for games against Fremantle and Gold Coast before another injury struck.

That Q Clash should have been remembered for the huge mark Gardiner pulled down but instead it was the sight of the gritty defender still trying to influence the contest by laying boot to a loose ball while being helped from the field by trainers that lingers for many Lions fans.

He was forced to have a shoulder reconstruction which kept him out of the side for the next three months.

He returned to take on Collingwood in Rd 22 but once again soon found himself battling an injury.

It was the final home and away game of the season against West Coast where an awkward landing saw him suffer a PCL injury.

He battled through the qualifying final against Melbourne without having an impact but managed to bounce back to play a solid game in the semi-final loss to the Western Bulldogs.

However, once the season ended, he was back in a brace and rehabbing the knee with the intention of being ready to start day one of pre-season.

Introducing Our '22 Leaders

Returning to the group are 2021 All Australian Daniel Rich, defensive stalwarts Darcy Gardiner and Ryan Lester, champion midfielder Lachie Neale and his best mate and forward line general Linc McCarthy and emerging champion Hugh McCluggage.

Super sub keen to stay, who has most uncontracted players?

Defender Darcy Gardiner, a restricted free agent at the Lions, has been in discussions about a new deal.

QScan Injury Update: Zorko to be Monitored

The other injury out of the weekend’s victory was to Darcy Gardiner.

A knock to the back saw the defender come from the field for treatment in the third quarter before returning to play out the match.

However, after the game Gardiner required medical treatment for fluid on the lungs.

He is currently resting and will continue to be closely monitored over the coming days.

Brisbane Lions defender Darcy Gardiner to miss five weeks after having fluid drained from his lungs

Brisbane Lions key defender Darcy Gardiner could miss up to five weeks of football after being forced into hospital to have fluid removed from his lungs following a heavy knock in last Saturday’s win over St Kilda.

Gardiner was still in hospital in Brisbane on Tuesday morning and has also suffered fractured ribs after landing awkwardly on his back in the third quarter of the game at the Gabba.

The 26-year-old somehow played out the match but was taken to hospital straight after for treatment after feeling “a bit crook”.

“(Gardiner) went for an aerial ball and landed quite awkwardly on his back,” Lions football manager Danny Daly confirmed on Tuesday.

“Initial signs were he was OK, but after the game he felt a bit crook so we took him off to hospital and unfortunately he has some fluid on his lungs.

“He had that drained out on Sunday. He’ll come out of hospital later today, but at this stage he’ll miss four to five weeks with a rib fracture.”

'He's a warrior': Lions hopeful key defender will sign new deal

IF BRISBANE coach Chris Fagan has any say, out of contract defender Darcy Gardiner will be at the Lions long beyond 2022.

Gardiner, in his ninth season and a restricted free agent, will play his 150th AFL match on Friday night against St Kilda and is still yet to lock away a new deal.

Perhaps underrated externally, the 26-year-old is one of Fagan's favourites and the coach is hopeful the defender will commit in the coming months.

"I'd love him to be with the club," Fagan said before boarding Brisbane's flight to Melbourne on Thursday morning. "But I don't do the contracts, that's something our list management do, and hopefully that all gets sorted pretty soon.

"His role is particularly important, and you can rely upon him to get the job done most weeks.

"He's a warrior. He's hard to play against, a real competitor, hates being beaten and has continued to grow and develop his game.

"I hope he plays many more games for the Lions."

Fagan said it's the things people don't see that make the hard-nosed defender so valuable and "very popular" among his teammates.

"In marking contests, he'll be the one that puts on a screen to allow his teammate to mark the ball," he said.

"He's always thinking about what he can do to make his teammates better and they're really aware of that.

"He's been at Brisbane through tough times. When he first started as a young player, he had to play on some pretty good players with the ball coming inside 50 on a regular basis.

"I'm so pleased he's got to experience relative success with this group."

Gardiner has been tight-lipped about his future, but that's not unusual for someone who likes to remain out of the spotlight.

"I've been here for nine years and loved every minute of it," he said.

"I'll let that (contract) get done behind the scenes and worry about the footy for now and look forward to getting that sorted."

Gardiner has played 16 games this season, missing four after an incident against the Saints in round 13 left fluid on his lungs.

"I'm pretty sure the first contest he got involved with after that lung injury he had to go back with the flight, and I wouldn't have blamed him if he didn't, but of course he did," Fagan said.

"That's Darcy, an incredibly brave player.

"I'm very grateful to have him in our team."

Admired Defender to Notch 150

220162_AFL_Milestones_150_Game_Gardiner_Article_Header.jpg

Every match when Daniel Rich looks around the Brisbane Lions defensive 50 and sees fellow defender Darcy Gardiner playing the way he does, there’s one main thought going through his mind.

“I’d hate to be his opponent,” Rich said instantly when asked about his teammate known as ‘Diz’.

Almost every team talks about the tight bond their backline has, mostly because when you are going to battle against some of the best forwards in the competition you need to work together.

The Lions are fortunate to have a reliable and galvanised defensive unit with the regular starters of Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich, Keidean Coleman, Marcus Adams – plus of course Rich and Gardiner.

605A42E2-265B-4331-8F00-1D5696921877.jpg

Though of the ‘back six’, this week the affirmations are being directed at Gardiner, who on Friday night that will play his 150th game for the Lions against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium.

“He is an incredibly tough player who gives everything he has. You know what you’re going to get from Diz each week,” the veteran said.

“Dizz really represents what we strive for as a defensive unit, he’s as honest and tough as they come and gives his all each week. He’s always first in to support you and loves a wrestle.

“He is a quietly spoken person with a lot of hidden mongrel, especially on the golf course, he’s a bloke who would always have your back.”

Rich, who has played 263 games for the Lions, has been around to see every one of Gardiner’s 149 games to date.

20AdBL16JE0226.JPG

During that time his respect and admiration for Gardiner as a player and person has grown stronger each year.

“We have had plenty of good moments on the field, and I love his battles with Buddy (Franklin) undersized against one of the greats, but has held his own,” Rich said.

“We have had plenty of surfs together over the time, non-more enjoyable than the spooky paddle together across the spit to Straddie (Stradbroke Island).”

When Gardiner was drafted at pick number 22 in the 2013 national draft, he was touted by AFL National Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan as the best tall defender in his draft.

AA280313MW-872.jpg

With calls like that made on him as a young player for the Geelong Falcons under-18s, there were high expectations set of him from the moment he played his debut in 2014.

And as Rich will be the first to tell you, the boy from Queenscliff has proven every time he has taken the field that he deserved his spot at the Lions den.

“He wouldn’t say anything, but I think he would be quietly proud of himself,” Rich claimed.

“He’s endured some injuries over recent years so it’s a credit to his toughness. Not bad for a pasty bloke from the fishbowl.”

Gardiner Commits For Three More

Darcy Gardiner will remain at the Brisbane Lions until at least the end of the 2025 season.

The 27-year-old has agreed to a new three-year deal which sees the defender move another step closer to becoming a one-Club player for his career.

Gardiner, recruited from the Geelong Falcons with pick 22 in the 2013 draft, recommitted to the Lions despite being a free agent.

“I love being at the Brisbane Lions and to be staying for at least another three seasons is something I am stoked about,” Gardiner said.

“When you have not only a great team on field but a great group of people at the Club it makes you really enjoy your time together.

“I am really looking forward to the future and hopefully we can achieve something really special.”

The defender overcame concussion and serious injury to reach his 150-game milestone in Round 13, before performing impressively in this year’s finals series.

Brisbane Lions List Manager, Dom Ambrogio, said Gardiner had played a key role in the Club’s recent success and would continue to do so for the next three seasons.

“We are thrilled to have a player and person like Darcy re-sign with our Club for a further three years and no doubt all of the Lions fans are too,” Ambrogio said.

“Darcy is an extremely reliable defender who is courageous and a complete team player that always does whatever is needed.

“This deal will hopefully see him remain a Lion for life.”

Gardiner, a member of the Lions leadership group, has played 154 games since making his debut in 2014.

Qscan Injury Update: Trio Ruled Out For Round One

An ankle injury continues to keep Darcy Gardiner on the sidelines. The seasoned defender underwent shoulder surgery in the off-season before suffering an ankle setback. He’ll be unavailable for Round 1 selection.

Qscan Injury Update: Zorko Given Green Light

Darcy Gardiner has joined modified skills sessions at training, with his availability still to be confirmed.

Gardiner: I'll Take it as it Comes

darcy.png

Darcy Gardiner was "shattered" for Jack Payne to miss the preliminary final and says he has no qualms waiting until the last minute to learn his selection fate ahead of Saturday's decider against Collingwood.

Gardiner was among a host of Lions heroes against the Blues on Saturday night, keeping dual Coleman medallist Charlie Curnow to just one goal after being brought in to replace the injured Payne.

Following his team's 16-point triumph, Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said he would give Payne every chance to overcome his ankle problem and put his hand up for selection.

Speaking to AFL.com.au, Gardiner said he would not be fazed by the uncertainty ahead.

"I was shattered for Payney this week," he said.

"He's been there all year and a big reason we've got to this point.

"Like the last couple of weeks, I'll keep ticking boxes, get through the week and whatever way it falls it will fall.

"We're a massive squad and that's what it takes to get to a Grand Final, so I'll take it as it comes."

Gardiner has been dogged by his own injury woes this year, playing just two senior games before some continuity in the VFL at the back end of the season.

He was magnificent on Curnow, matching him stride for stride in most contests and giving the Carlton spearhead little room to breathe.

Fagan said he was not surprised by Gardiner's performance.

"He played really well in the finals last year for us and he's been patiently waiting for his opportunity," Fagan said.

"He's a really experienced player and he's an outright competitor.

"I'm really pleased for him. He didn't let us down and I knew he wouldn't."

Gardiner, who celebrated his 28th birthday last Friday, has played 157 games since being drafted by the Lions in late 2013 and said it was his backline teammates who made things easier against the Blues.

"We've got a good defensive system down there.

"We like to come off and help a bit more … we just back each other in to support and help and it definitely made my job a lot easier. It got me out of jail a few times."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Can’t drop him’: Big GF headache looms as ‘reliable’ Lion nails call-up

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan says he “knew” defender Darcy Gardiner wouldn’t let the team down as the Lions now face a massive selection call for the grand final.

Gardiner – who had played just two games all season – was the man called in to replace star Jack Payne who injured his ankle in the lead up to the preliminary final.

Coming up against Carlton’s Coleman Medal duo Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay was no easy task, but it was Gardiner who stole the show with 11 spoils.

He kept Curnow to just one mark inside 50 and one goal for the match as the Lions marched to a 16-point win to head into their first grand final since 2004.

“I was not surprised (by Gardiner’s starring role) – he played really well in finals last year for us,” Fagan said in his post-match press conference.

“He’s been patiently waiting for his opportunity.

“He’s a really experienced player and he’s an outright competitor.

“He’s been one of the blokes on the journey for seven years … he didn’t let us down – I knew he wouldn’t.”

Gardiner said he tried to stay ready all year in case an opportunity presented – like it did ahead of the preliminary final against Carlton.

“Obviously bloody shattered for Payney to miss this week – he’s had a bloody good year and got us to this point,” he told Fox Footy.

“Just tried to stay ready, get the body right and take the opportunity when it comes.”

Fox Footy experts believe Gardiner has done enough to hold his spot for the decider against Collingwood – despite the Magpies losing big man Dan McStay in a big injury blow.

“Credit to Darcy Gardiner, to come back in after so long out and do the job he did – it’s going to be a big story next week is Jack Payne going to be fit and available? Do they play him and take the risk?” Leigh Montagna said.

“They’ll take no risk. You can’t drop Darcy Gardiner after that,” David King added.

Jason Dunstall said Gardiner’s form gave the Lions an extra level of flexibility come grand final selection.

“The great thing is (coach Chris Fagan) doesn’t have to take a risk now,” he said.

“You sit there and you weigh it up – is (Payne) 100% or as close to 100 as we need him to be to play. If he is, he plays. If he doesn’t, Darcy Gardiner played well enough last week to take that role.

“He played too well not to play, Darcy.”

Together with Harris Andrews (who had 11 spoils and six intercepts), the Lions backline kept Carlton to just six marks inside forward 50.

Andrews said he was proud of Gardiner’s efforts on Saturday night.

“You always know what you’re going to get from Diz (Gardiner). He’s as bloody hard as a cat’s head,” he said.

“He’s always so reliable.

“Really proud of him. Just the mental effort of not playing for a little while and playing on probably the in-form forward of the league in Charlie Curnow … a super effort.

“I’m really happy for him.”

Gardiner almost snared what would have been his sixth career goal, such was his good form against the Blues only for teammate Lincoln McCarthy to steal it on the goal line.

“He’s only played a couple of games for the year … he’s about to kick the goal of his lifetime and sends them ahead – and he’s pinched on the line!” Dunstall lamented.

“All (McCarthy) had to do was shepherd it through.

“Let the man have his moment!

“His moment in the spotlight ripped from him by Lincoln McCarthy. I thought it was cruel.”

While Gardiner was impressive in Saturday night’s win, Payne remains a chance to make a return for the grand final.

“We’ll give him maximum time. He’s still a chance – he’s getting better,” Fagan said of Payne.

“He’s doing everything he can to get himself right.”

Darcy Gardiner: A Life Lions Member

darc.png

The black boots say it all about Darcy Gardiner. In an era of wildly colourful footwear he’s been the epitome of unfashionable and understated. But never under appreciated or undervalued.

For 10 years he’s been a team-first, no-fuss, no-frills defender who plays on opponents of varying size with equal efficiency and reliability. A real ‘meat and potatoes’ backman who just gets the job done.

And now he’s a member of the elite of the elite of the Brisbane Lions … a life member.

Originally from Queenscliff, a seaside resort of about 1500 permanent residents on Victoria’s Bellarine Peninsula, Gardiner was recognised in this very special fashion at the 2023 Brisbane Lions Club Championship dinner held tonight at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre.

darcy1.png

It was a crowning moment in a career that began 11 years minus 45 days ago tonight, on 21 November 2013, as the Gold Coast Convention Centre hosted the 2013 AFL National Draft.

In the lead-up to the draft AFL website draft expert Cal Twomey described Gardiner as “the best tall back in the (2013) draft” and recounted a story from the 2013 AIS/AFL Academy Tour of Europe when, in Copenhagen, he had an engrossing battle playing on 200cm key forward Tom Boyd.

Undersized as he was, Gardiner more than held his own against a player remembered in football folklore for three special things – (1) he was the No.1 pick in the 2013 Draft to the GWS Giants but played only nine games with the expansion club, (2) he was the match-winner in the Western Bulldogs’ 2016 grand final win over Sydney in his 38th game, and (3) he retired after 61 games due to mental health battles.

Listing Gardiner’s strengths, Twomey said: “He's a competitor (who) really hates being beaten, an essential trait when playing on opponents who are often bigger and stronger than him. He's a good spoiler, has courage, and is generally a reliable mark and kick when starting his team's rebound”.

In a rare interview ahead of the draft, Gardiner identified himself as an Essendon supporter whose childhood heroes were Bombers bookends Dustin Fletcher and Matthew Lloyd, and credited his parents for his competitiveness.

Unlikely duo fire up forward in Lions' intraclub

While dual Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale missed the match with a wedding to attend, draftee Logan Morris (five goals) and veteran defender Darcy Gardiner (three) stole the show.
Another to get among the goals was Gardiner, who found himself at the other end of the ground from where he's spent most of his 10-season, 158-game career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back