Recommitted Darcy MacPherson [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you can't see the problem in getting FA compo for a player and then getting a further pick for taking him back, I can't explain it to you
It was different years and wasn’t a set up.

Collingwood paid overs for Mayne in terms of money and years. $2m over 4 years. Fremantle didn’t want to match as they used the pick and salary to get Hill.

Maynes first year at Collingwood, Buckley had in early and then send him to the VFL.

The Magpies didn’t want to pay $500k for a player to play VFL or be a borderline 22 player.

Then Collingwood wanted to salary dump Maynes contract.

Jakooli

Rookie
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s for 1 year.

Getting pick 19 is a massive win looking at this years draft. Especially with teams looking to trade out of the 1st round next year due to father/sons. Also teams have come out and stated they want more top 25 picks this year.

We could really play this well.
Just trying to be the ying to most every other north supporters yang. Personally aly it’s a no brainer really. Probably spells the end for Atleys chances of getting resigned though.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was different years and wasn’t a set up.

Collingwood paid overs for Mayne in terms of money and years. $2m over 4 years. Fremantle didn’t want to match as they used the pick and salary to get Hill.

Maynes first year at Collingwood, Buckley had in early and then send him to the VFL.

The Magpies didn’t want to pay $500k for a player to play VFL or be a borderline 22 player.

Then Collingwood wanted to salary dump Maynes contract.

Yes, I understand all that - the issue is that Freo got a high compo pick precisely because of the size of the contract Collingwood offered, so a subsequent salary dump leaves the AFL having given out pick 23 essentially for nothing.

Like I say, if you can't see the problem, blow the whistle and move on

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm hearing the real reason why McPherson is getting dumped .
The Suns want the $$$$$ in its cap as Josh Battle wants out St.Kilda and wants to go to the Suns.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm hearing the real reason why McPherson is getting dumped .
The Suns want the $$$$$ in its cap as Josh Battle wants out St.Kilda and wants to go to the Suns.
Hmm interesting.
Battle would be a good fit for GC.
Saints to get some crazy GC deal now as well?
3 for Battle and next years first?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes, I understand all that - the issue is that Freo got a high compo pick precisely because of the size of the contract Collingwood offered, so a subsequent salary dump leaves the AFL having given out pick 23 essentially for nothing.

Like I say, if you can't see the problem, blow the whistle and move on
Yes Fremantle run away like bandits.

God forbid that the Dockers get an advantage.

North Melbourne get an advantage with pick 19 and McPherson, I’m ok with that.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Do you think that the Suns downgrading pick 2 is because the players around that mark are flight risks?

Rumours of Brodie going to the Dockers.
I assume Suns would keen on Callaghan but he will most probably be gone by pick 3. Next is probably Gibcus as Suns needs KPP. Gibcus is now predicted to go a bit later (around pick 7-10) so downgrade to 7 could make sense. Around pick 15-17 there are some talls available too. I don't think it has anything to do with flight risk. Suns will probably also pre-list 2 KPP from academy (Stevens, Bella) so who knows.

Yes, I heard about Brodie rumour. I hope Freo gives him a chance. He is a terrific young man, works hard, great inside, decent kick, can mark. Hopefully with a opportunity he improves his tank, 2-way running. Sometimes he needs to display more urgency and is not fast.

Last edited:

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hawthorn got hold of that priority pick #1 for Hodge by selling their players too.

I'm not sure there has been a premiership this millennium (there may be a couple) that hasn't benefited from AFL concessions regarding priority picks, father son picks from when the cost for them was greatly behind actual value, salary cap inequities and academy players with special access and discounts for them.

You can make a big argument that clubs need priority picks and concessions just to keep up.

Take Geelong for example. Father son pick Hawkins should have gone #1, system now would have burned their pick #7, instead they get Hawkins for a 3rd round and picked Selwood at #7.
100%.

'the spirit of the game' has included handout players to clubs almost every year whether it be through F/S or priority picks and every premiership team of the last 15 years has benefitted from it in some way.

If clubs and people want to see Gold Coast getting less handouts they should stop actively rooting for players to leave after 2 or 4 years because 'the club wasn't winning enough games to make them stay'. It's very had to win games when you spend most seasons developing players that are actively being poached before they even make it to their prime.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it would only be 2 or 3 clubs any given year willing to take on the $500k salary of a depth player for pick 19. Don't think you'll see many, if anyone, trying to cut Norths lunch on this one.
Any chance you guys do the same with Brodie and pick 22?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC approached North about it. That was nice of them.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Gold Coast is also in discussions about a deal with North Melbourne that would see the Roos pick up selection No.19 and Darcy Macpherson while also absorbing the small forward's salary, as reported by AFL.com.au last week.

But that deal still has some way to progress before being worked through, with the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period opening officially on Monday and running through to next Wednesday night.

Hawthorn had also been interested in the salary dump move involving Macpherson, with the Hawks' offer including a bid to claim the Suns' pick No.3 as part of the swap.

Hawthorn also interested.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it would only be 2 or 3 clubs any given year willing to take on the $500k salary of a depth player for pick 19. Don't think you'll see many, if anyone, trying to cut Norths lunch on this one.

Was about to post that Hawthorn have plenty of salary cap room and would be very interested in this but now see that the media are reporting Hawthorn's involvement.

It baffles me that Gold Coast are in this position though (even if I'm very keen for Hawthorn to benefit).

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It looks like Hawthorn may be interested to take on McPherson's salary to upgrade pick 5 to pick 3, in an effort to draft Finn Callaghan (I assume with the expectation that GWS are going tall e.g Mac Andrew). This should suit Gold Coast who are reportedly interested in drafting Gibcus as much as Callaghan, who is expected to be there at 5 anyway.

All speculation of course.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It looks like Hawthorn may be interested to take on McPherson's salary to upgrade pick 5 to pick 3, in an effort to draft Finn Callaghan (I assume with the expectation that GWS are going tall e.g Mac Andrew). This should suit Gold Coast who are reportedly interested in drafting Gibcus as much as Callaghan, who is expected to be there at 5 anyway.

All speculation of course.
Someone is getting a good deal.
I suppose its Dmac's choice.
Whoever will offer him the most I suppose.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sammy Edmund saying the GC pick 19 deal with North more likely than unlikely.

Not unless North ups their offer to MacPherson ($$ and years wise) according to Tom Morris:

North Melbourne’s initial offer for Darcy Macpherson is unlikely to be enough to pry him out of Gold Coast.

The Kangaroos are interested in the 23-year-old and have put forward a two-year deal, but Macpherson, who is contracted for 2022 at the Suns, has told the club he’d prefer to stay.

The lure of an extra season is not enough by itself to convince Macpherson to change his mind, nor is the financial component of North’s proposal.

Sources believe MacPherson is still a strong chance to stay unless the Roos re-evaluate how much they are willing to pay.

Gold Coast would send Pick 19 and Macpherson to Arden Street and get some late draft selections back in return.

Looks like North will need to sacrifice more cap space, and for more years, to make this trade go through.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not unless North ups their offer to MacPherson ($$ and years wise) according to Tom Morris:

Looks like North will need to sacrifice more cap space, and for more years, to make this trade go through.
Would be stupid of McPherson to stay at a club that actively don't want him imo. Would likely end up delisted this time next year and potentially career over.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would be stupid of McPherson to stay at a club that actively don't want him imo. Would likely end up delisted this time next year and potentially career over.

Probably why he's trying to secure a longer term future than two years at what he/his management deems inadequate compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back