Darcy Moore Contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not forgetting that Tyler has only once managed to surpass 20 disposals in a VFL game.

Tyler is improving and improved over the course of the season but he's still a developing player and it remains unclear whether he will be a good long term piece. Even with continued good development, he feels like a fringe type who you should be worrying if you have to play at senior level because him getting games would be an indicator of a weak midfield.
In my opinion, based on his junior footy at Marcellin, had he not been a F/S selection by us then he would not have been drafted at all. I hope he does improve but there's a long way to go. Those who have a better knowledge of the quality of the draft that year may be able to set me straight on this.

I'm not forgetting that Tyler has only once managed to surpass 20 disposals in a VFL game.

Tyler is improving and improved over the course of the season but he's still a developing player and it remains unclear whether he will be a good long term piece. Even with continued good development, he feels like a fringe type who you should be worrying if you have to play at senior level because him getting games would be an indicator of a weak midfield.
I tend to agree with Tyler Brown, his brother is still way ahead, Tyler is a prospect. We have a bunch of guys that could be a whole lot of everything or bust. We do get ahead of ourselves sometimes on BF. I love the optimism, I really enjoy reading it but sometime a level head is needed. thx

In my opinion, based on his junior footy at Marcellin, had he not been a F/S selection by us then he would not have been drafted at all. I hope he does improve but there's a long way to go. Those who have a better knowledge of the quality of the draft that year may be able to set me straight on this.

Having watched Tyler as a junior I completely agree. He'd struggle to find 15d in a game running around against kids his own age. Moved well and used it well and show some glimpses here/there, but it's not enough to ordinarily get drafted off of as the type you'd say - come back to the TAC Cup for another year and we'll reassess next year. He has only gotten to where he is at now as a capable VFL footballer because he has to his credit improved significantly and I'd imagine put in the work to continue to improve.

Pickering reminds me of a car salesmen. They used to annoy me when i was younger, but not so much now. Although Pickers is a bit of an exception

Wait, are we all off the Tyler train now?

Doesn’t this assume we were all on it to begin with?

There’s two parts to it that confuse me:

1. How does a guy that’s as marginal as he is get highly rated? I assume it was that stupid Fyfe reference.
2. Why are we discussing a marginal talent in a thread devoted to Moore’s contract?

FWIW in some respects I’m excited to see what he’s got at the next level, and I’ve said as much in threads this off season, but that’s mostly due to our very weak U21 group and my expectations are low overall.

I suspect we will be seeing a 4 year deal with Moore. I’m extremely bullish on Moore like we all are and usually I think for most players the two year deal is perfect.

However Darcey is still got that ‘will he be fit’ stigma associated and does he want to bet on himself? Two injury riddled years and his value is rock bottom.

4 years takes him to 28 and with good football will still be a very nice pay rise but if he’s injured will still take home good money throughout his career.

On the flip side, two years injuries free and all Australian will make him very very desirable come free agency, but does a guy who has already expressed mental struggles with injuries want to add this uncertainty every time he gets a niggle? I’m not sure, I wouldn’t be recommending it to my client.

All things being equal with injury and stuff, Darcy Moore I'd argue is the most important of the 3 between he, Grundy and De Goey.

Obviously you'd love to keep all 3, but gun to my head (and assuming they're all fit and firing) I'd prefer to keep Moore personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a tad of poetic licence there. You're highlighting a couple of areas where players haven't matched the peak years but it was nowhere near as bad as you suggest. A couple have had injury interruption over the last couple of seasons and Pendles made AA after all. Nor can it be considered indicative of "decline" unless there is consistent atrophy of performances over multiple seasons. Sidebottom has arguably his best ever season in 2018 so not unreasonable that he doesn't quite hit that level again in 2019, and is an average of about 3 possessions less a game in what outwardly appeared to be a different role all that significant anyway. Ditto Beams insomuch as it wasn't his best season but given the hip issue he was playing with and that he was playing a slightly different role in a new team is 2-3 possessions a game all that significant.
I also don’t think Beams could be added to the list of midfielders who will continue to decline in output and make us worse this season when Beams wasn’t part of 2018 nor really 2019.

I thought we should have traded him and some of our other injury prone types like Elliot last year. No point having talent if you can’t play more than two games in a row.

we can’t build a premiership around players that are on the injury list.

I thought we should have traded him and some of our other injury prone types like Elliot last year. No point having talent if you can’t play more than two games in a row.

Trading them at their lowest value would have been terrible list management.

I agree their injury history is a concern, but remove Moore and Elliott from our list and add a late first round and an early second rounder. Our list would look very bleak.

Elliott was a free agent, I feel like that fact was mentioned about a million times last year.

That would have been incredibly bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back