Darcy Moore Contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon our window is widening.
Grundy, Moore, JDG, Stepho, Maynard still on the rise
Adams, Crisp, Treloar set to peak.
Howe, Pendles and Sidey yet to decline.
A heap of decent role players with a good number of games under their belt.
Yeah I’m in this camp too, we have plenty of elite talent in our best 22 and I like the youth we have brought in, just need the gods smiling on us regarding injuries.

Their only downside is their age of key players

Hurn and Kennedy are both 32 and still super important

Schofield 31

Jetta Natanui Shuey 29

Hi, I don't mean to intrude.

I think the age of our stars is a bit deceiving in a way.

Hurn didn't earn his first AA until 29 years old. He did have a couple of soft tissue injuries

Kennedy went off the boil at times last year. He has just had his first preseason in 3 years, and expect him to arrest the decline in form we saw last year.

Schofield isn't best 22. His addition to the team is contingent on either a) match ups (Needing an extra tall in defense against certain teams) or b) Gov/Barrass being injured.

Jetta's role is more about his ball use than his athletic properties. He may have lost half a step, but that hasn't impacted his output.

NicNat - Bigger concern is staying fit and on the park. Being 30 this years is the least of our concerns with Nicnat.

Shuey - Yeah, he is getting on a bit, let's see what his season looks like. Shuey getting on is less of a deal as he is well supported in the midfield by Yeo, Gaff, Shee, Redden and now Kelly.

I'm expecting another good year from the pies, should be right in the mix with WC, GWS and Tiges. I am expecting another top 4 finish for the year for the pies.

That's all good and well until they inevitably mistake in their transition, against pressure teams they get exposed if their movement falters any.

I'm not sure if it's a "mistake" or just oppo players learning how to play us better last year. At times we looked desperately slow moving the ball out of defense and there was not clear option and we saw Kennedy/Darling moving up the ground to provide a target which then slowed down our ball movement going forward as they then had to wait for the other to get in position further up the ground allowing oppo's to get their defense set and at times we got burned on the counter.

Will be looking early in the season to see how they remedy this. One could be Brander on the wing providing a tall marking target out of the wing.

Hi, I don't mean to intrude.

I think the age of our stars is a bit deceiving in a way.

Hurn didn't earn his first AA until 29 years old. He did have a couple of soft tissue injuries

Kennedy went off the boil at times last year. He has just had his first preseason in 3 years, and expect him to arrest the decline in form we saw last year.

Schofield isn't best 22. His addition to the team is contingent on either a) match ups (Needing an extra tall in defense against certain teams) or b) Gov/Barrass being injured.

Jetta's role is more about his ball use than his athletic properties. He may have lost half a step, but that hasn't impacted his output.

NicNat - Bigger concern is staying fit and on the park. Being 30 this years is the least of our concerns with Nicnat.

Shuey - Yeah, he is getting on a bit, let's see what his season looks like. Shuey getting on is less of a deal as he is well supported in the midfield by Yeo, Gaff, Shee, Redden and now Kelly.

I'm expecting another good year from the pies, should be right in the mix with WC, GWS and Tiges. I am expecting another top 4 finish for the year for the pies.

I'm not sure if it's a "mistake" or just oppo players learning how to play us better last year. At times we looked desperately slow moving the ball out of defense and there was not clear option and we saw Kennedy/Darling moving up the ground to provide a target which then slowed down our ball movement going forward as they then had to wait for the other to get in position further up the ground allowing oppo's to get their defense set and at times we got burned on the counter.

Will be looking early in the season to see how they remedy this. One could be Brander on the wing providing a tall marking target out of the wing.

Teams like Richmond and Collingwood like to suffocate the opposition i:e force turnover. Hence your slowed movement, and difficulty finding position up the chain, you can't give up possession against these teams.

Kudos to WC, against these teams they're very good at controlling transition - make it look a lot easier than what it is. One of the few teams that look like they have control of their possession against such pressure.

Where Moore fits in is his potential, if I were him I'd be doing everything in my being to have a break out season to grow my value. Degoey the same, stay on the park and play closer to potential.

Moore says negotiations with Collingwood are going “really smoothly” and is optimistic a deal will be done soon.

“I’m someone that likes to be involved (in contract negotiations),” he said.

“Obviously, these decisions require a lot of thought and you have to consider a lot of different areas of your life and your career.

“In this particular situation, the club has had a lot to work through this pre-season. I’m pretty open about it and not really in a hurry and from all reports the process is going really smoothly with the club.

"I’m sure it will happen in no time.”

Well that's a big change from.. he isn't a hurry anytime soon

Well that's a big change from.. he isn't a hurry anytime soon
Sounded positive and it was an insightful interview, Moore also spoke about:
  • How the club has had a "holistic" change with regards to training and have individualised his program, that the club "respected" his needs
  • Moore's training is now a heavy session at either end of the week with a lighter load in the middle
  • Liking and favouring relationships he's built over 5 years with our fitness staff as opposed to looking outside the club for training/recovery etc. The reason being they've been experienced things together that worked and didn't over that time and had a good understanding
  • That he likes to be involved with his contract negotiations

I reckon our window is widening.
Grundy, Moore, JDG, Stepho, Maynard still on the rise
Adams, Crisp, Treloar set to peak.
Howe, Pendles and Sidey yet to decline.
A heap of decent role players with a good number of games under their belt.

dont want to be too negative, but I have concerns. My reading:

on decline: Pendlebury, Varcoe, Reid, Greenwood, Beams, Langdon,
likely to decline in next 2 years: Howe, Sidebottom, Elliot, Mayne, Roughead, Cox

others will likely improve, so it’s not at all doom and gloom. But still, 2018 was a lost opportunity.

likely to decline in next 2 years: Howe, Sidebottom, Elliot, Mayne, Roughead, Cox

others will likely improve, so it’s not at all doom and gloom. But still, 2018 was a lost opportunity.
I doubt those in bold were slated to have an impact this year, excluding Langers whose knee injury is unfortunate.

If we are to go to the next level, the others mentioned should have successors ready to fire.

3 of those players were already fringe, 1 is already gone and one just won an AA. The only real concern from that group is Langdon, and while he is a loss, we have some good players able to cover him coming through our system.
Or they could have career best years. Mayne is another that’s not a genuine concern. There are players on the list who can play his role to a good standard.

It was, but at the same time our core group in the mid 20’s is underrated imo, and we’ll have some guaranteed quality draftees over the next 2 years too. If we can trade smartly for the next year or two I think we can be a force for a fair while yet.

I doubt those in bold were slated to have an impact this year, excluding Langers whose knee injury is unfortunate.

If we are to go to the next level, the others mentioned should have successors ready to fire.

if they weren’t slated to have an impact, why are they still listed? I mean, they’re all veterans - you’d think they’d have got rid of them rather than given some extensions.

in other words, I don’t rewlly agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if they weren’t slated to have an impact, why are they still listed? I mean, they’re all veterans - you’d think they’d have got rid of them rather than given some extensions.

A club has to make a decision as to whether or not there are more worthy replacements from young draftees etc.

My take on this is that they thought another year of proven, albeit ageing talent, is superior to an untried youngster who clearly hasn't the credentials they are after. My belief though is that they would be banking on the next level of talent replacing this group, but their presence is insurance against injuries and the youngsters not stepping up to the plate.

Yeah old Pendles may decline all the way to All Australian captainship this year if he’s not careful....

That interview with Darcy sounded super-positive to me.
Me too.

tenor.gif

#metoo

He is happy with our fitness people, seems to want the contract sorted and appears to be settled.

He recently bought a house in inner Melbourne (Collingwood), so it would be disruptive to move interstate for instance. If he went elsewhere, many think that would be his reasonable destination. Why would he moves sideways to another Melbourne club unless it was for a lot more money?

With his somewhat problematic body, to have a good relationship with the physios etc. would be important.

#metoo

He is happy with our fitness people, seems to want the contract sorted and appears to be settled.

He recently bought a house in inner Melbourne (Collingwood), so it would be disruptive to move interstate for instance. If he went elsewhere, many think that would be his reasonable destination. Why would he moves sideways to another Melbourne club unless it was for a lot more money?

With his somewhat problematic body, to have a good relationship with the physios etc. would be important.

In my area... who knows I may see him down the street, heh

Weve decided to use veterans as depth. Good for cohesion and harmony,.

I knew someone would pick on that. I’d just say he’s having a few more down games recently.But picking one fromthe list is hardly a compelling argument anyway.
I think you'll find it was sarcasm rather than an argument..... :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back