Recommitted Darcy Moore [signs 6 year deal]

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
This one is going to be very interesting to watch.

Pies will obviously be keen for him to stay but if they have a poor year and the offers come for Darcy as expected, are they really saying no to a band one compensation pick?

A top 4 pick will do very nicely by the Pies as they continue through their rebuild. 2 of them could accelerate that rebuild and produce something pretty special.

Absolutely I’m saying No.

Darcy isn’t exactly old. He’ll have only just turned 26 at the start of next season.

What’s the point of turfing out an elite player, who could realistically (barring injuries) still playing at an elite level in his early 30’s and be there for the next tilt in 3-5 years.

Particularly when the player you bring in could turn out to be a complete and utter bust.

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely I’m saying No.

Darcy isn’t exactly old. He’ll have only just turned 26 at the start of next season.

What’s the point of turfing out an elite player, who could realistically (barring injuries) still playing at an elite level in his early 30’s and be there for the next tilt in 3-5 years.

Particularly when the player you bring in could turn out to be a complete and utter bust.

Cause the Collingwood rebuild looks very long term

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This one is going to be very interesting to watch.

Pies will obviously be keen for him to stay but if they have a poor year and the offers come for Darcy as expected, are they really saying no to a band one compensation pick?

A top 4 pick will do very nicely by the Pies as they continue through their rebuild. 2 of them could accelerate that rebuild and produce something pretty special.
Unless it's Pick 2 (i.e. Pies were spooners) in a very strong draft, I'm keeping a fit Moore over any free agency compensation. He's the best KPD in the competition when fit. If there's genuine injury concerns, then I doubt he'd be looking at band 1, in which case it's again not worth letting him go.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, well think you’d be fibbing if you legitimately believed that your team was going to win 3 out of 4 off the back of your 2016 season.

The wheel can turn pretty quickly with the right coaches in place, game plan and drafting/trading strategies.

Richmond made the top8 the three prior seasons to '16 and were winning a lot of games.

A fair chunk of the Copeland Trophy leaders are in the 28 and plus bracket or in New York

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Yeah, well think you’d be fibbing if you legitimately believed that your team was going to win 3 out of 4 off the back of your 2016 season.

The wheel can turn pretty quickly with the right coaches in place, game plan and drafting/trading strategies.

Conversely it can turn very slowly with the wrong coaches and gameplan in place. We have no idea if McCrae and the rest of the Collingwood coaching team have what it takes to turn the Pies around at this stage.

List management has been an issue over the past few years with Pick 2 leaving for a couple of second rounders, Treloar dumped for negative draft picks and a portion of his salary paid by the Pies, and of course Grundy's gigantic contract taking a big chunk of their annual TPP. That's undoubtedly put them behind the 8-ball, and they could have taken 2 elite prospects in last years draft instead of just Daicos with some foresight.

Think the timing might be off for the Pies on this one. I can also see Essendon being very keen on grabbing Moore, maybe even a club like GWS?

Interesting to see how this one plays out.

Conversely it can turn very slowly with the wrong coaches and gameplan in place. We have no idea if McCrae and the rest of the Collingwood coaching team have what it takes to turn the Pies around at this stage.

List management has been an issue over the past few years with Pick 2 leaving for a couple of second rounders, Treloar dumped for negative draft picks and a portion of his salary paid by the Pies, and of course Grundy's gigantic contract taking a big chunk of their annual TPP. That's undoubtedly put them behind the 8-ball, and they could have taken 2 elite prospects in last years draft instead of just Daicos with some foresight.

Think the timing might be off for the Pies on this one. I can also see Essendon being very keen on grabbing Moore, maybe even a club like GWS?

Interesting to see how this one plays out.

Pick 2 would be Used of Daicos IF we Kept it as North would not allow us to have a Free Top 3 Pick in the Draft.

For a Team to get Moore they have to put lot of there Salary Cap to Get Him

Don't think money will be the primary factor with Moore, will get a bundle wherever and there's not likely to be a significant deal of variance in the offers available. Think it will come down to the prospect of playing finals footy and lifestyle. Can imagine Swans will do all they can to convince him they're the place for him and would probably be a good fit should he decide to leave the Pies.

Think Suns will have significant interest but unless they improve significantly in 22 probably still not gonna be all that appealing as there will still be a lot of question marks over prospects for finals. Clarkson coming aboard might change that?

From all gun the defence FAs available next year he'd be my number one preference, Harris and Moore would be the pillars of an immense defence. Would love it if we could sell him on the idea of a fresh start, proven track record of keeping players on the field and playing finals. Could say it'd be over-investing in defence though Dees are laughing after having spent heavily on their defence in Lever and May.

Westozswan

Senior List
May 16, 2014
Darwin
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the swans will give the pies our first round and Melbourne's wherever that sits. We need defenders and we already want him. We will make sure his body is ok and then offer those two. Swans don't need top draft pics next year as we have Academy players we want. So it fits perfectly. And then Darcy has already spoken of getting away from the spotlight. And to be fair he is already wealthy from his family

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Swans or Pies the only realistic options for mine.

I think he stays at the pies and will be on big money, which means JDG is all but gone, along with probably Pendles.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think he stays at the pies and will be on big money, which means JDG is all but gone, along with probably Pendles.

Huh?

Pendles has just signed a new 2 year deal. After which he is every chance to retire.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Huh?

Pendles has just signed a new 2 year deal. After which he is every chance to retire.

Of course he is going to retire. He may be forced to retire at end of 2022 in order for the pies to keep Moore. Thats what i think will happen.

If Pendles stays on in 2023 then other players will have to make way. Moore is worth 1 million a season.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pick 2 would be Used of Daicos IF we Kept it as North would not allow us to have a Free Top 3 Pick in the Draft.

For a Team to get Moore they have to put lot of there Salary Cap to Get Him

North were never bidding on Daicos. JHF Stated he was told by North two months out he was being selected with the first pick.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Stephenson 😂

Not bothered in the slightest. The blokes scared of his own shadow, let alone getting tackled.

I don’t it’s an understatement to say he’s the most timid AFL player I’ve ever seen play the game. He makes that other overpaid rookie you have on your list looks like a legit hard man.

As for JDG (assuming the legal matters clear) if the club or he decides to move on, I think it’s fairly naive to think a club right in the window wouldn’t pay the fairly low bar to get band 1 compo.
I thought Cale Morton was by far the softest AFL player I have seen until I watched Stephenson.

Bloke just utterly hates physical contact.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University

You know Collingwood have the same salary cap as the other clubs... and only 8 players who weren't drafted recently are contracted beyond 2022

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought Cale Morton was by far the softest AFL player I have seen until I watched Stephenson.

Bloke just utterly hates physical contact.

Also wins games off his own boot. Hes 22 years old, with one of the best resumes of players his age.

Very harsh some of the comments on here about him. Very good footballer.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also wins games off his own boot. Hes 22 years old, with one of the best resumes of players his age.

Very harsh some of the comments on here about him. Very good footballer.
I'm certainly not doubting his footballing ability. He's an immense talent and when he was up for grabs I thought at the time Melbourne should have at least enquired.

Our game plan is built around contested style game plan ad he doesn't fit that criteria.

When you say best resumes of his age does that mean winning the rising star award? Multiple AA? Best and fairest award?

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm certainly not doubting his footballing ability. He's an immense talent and when he was up for grabs I thought at the time Melbourne should have at least enquired.

Our game plan is built around contested style game plan ad he doesn't fit that criteria.

When you say best resumes of his age does that mean winning the rising star award? Multiple AA? Best and fairest award?

Rising Star winner, multiple best team under 22 etc. Not many 22 Years olds are multiple AAs.

He kicked nearly 40 goals in his first season.

Hes tracking beautifully and hopefully continues to slot in alongside Thomas, LDU, Phillips, Powell, Simpkin as the core of Norths next finals team

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rising Star winner, multiple best team under 22 etc. Not many 22 Years olds are multiple AAs.

Hes tracking beautifully and hopefully continues to slot in alongside Thomas, LDU, Phillips, Powell, Simpkin as the core of Norths next finals team

You could mount a case for every rising star winner each year who then go on to make the best under 22 team as well.

It's no different really.

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Moore would slot in nicely in the Hawks back six.
I don't think that would be a wise decision for either party. I could only see Moore leaving for the Hawks if it was a North level offer that would be too good to refuse and that would be silly for Hawthorn to put on the table when they're in a complete rebuild.

With De Goey's market value shot I think Collingwood will have enough money to edge out the Swans for Moore's signature. Disappointing for us as he's someone that could transform our backline and give us a real shot in the short term.

Back