Prediction Darcy Moore. Struggle or excel in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope for further development from Moore this year. Perhaps he'll dominate a game or two, but I can't see him tearing the season apart with a 45-60 goal year. The other aspect to his output this year is for Cox to stand up as another key forward threat, without this Moore will attract multiple defenders and struggle.

He will be up and down as all youngsters are. I kind of wish he was given a season in the backline while developing to take some pressure off but it doesnt seem to be on the cards.
He will stll be an absolute gun in 2 years

I was just looking through his stats on AFL tables for 2016 and I didn't realise just how good his contested marking numbers were for a second year KPF, he took 35 from 17 games and he was number 12 for contested marks per game in the whole league. I think the only thing that could hold him back this year is if he gets injured, with a bit more luck on that front I feel he could improve significantly.

Interesting read.

As an aside just casually observing the pattern we can all fall into.

Those of us that tend to see things more positively and those of us who see things more negatively.
Those that use figures and numbers to analyse and those that guess.

It's not just this topic but a general comment not directed at anyone.

Just an aside.

Struggle at first as he gets more attention from the opposition. But he'll learn and step it up a notch in the second half of the season.

(And be in peak form for the finals!)

I posted this on the main board by accident and most are picking Moore to struggle in 2017. Welcome to go over there and have your say. Thought I would ask on the question on our board anyway. How's he's going to go? How many goals? Will he struggle or excel without the likes of Trav Cloke?

What do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we play Cox in the fwd line it would help young Darcy a lot. One would assume Cox would get the tallest defender and take on the crash into packs marks duties. Hopefully that would reduce the wear and tear on Moore

young will be inconsistent though out the season, but that is to be expected. hoping around the 30 goals mark.
any thing above would be out standing

If we play Cox in the fwd line it would help young Darcy a lot. One would assume Cox would get the tallest defender and take on the crash into packs marks duties. Hopefully that would reduce the wear and tear on Moore
This^

I expect some ups and downs but also expect maybe 4-5 games of 4+ goals, so on that basis a 30-40 goal season is very possible. Still some way from the finished product.

I think some expectations are a bit too high for Darcy at this stage.

I reckon 30 goals will be par from an individual point of view. He might kick one or two bags, but should be going for around 1-1.5 goals a game. Could potentially get up to about 40 - and it would be pretty great if he does.

But in reality - how he plays his role in the forward line, and more specifically how everyone else is able to structure around him, will determine how i view his season.
I don't want Darcy to be a stay-at-home FF who wants everything to come to him in the fwd 30m. (Basically what I hated about how Clokes game evolved). That will not work for him, and will not work for our gameplan (even if he does score plenty of goals).
Darcy is on his way to becoming a very smart forward - one that runs smartly all day, taking defensive attention and creating space for others in our forward line (and vice-versa). If he can do that, and we have one of Elliot-Fas and one of Cox-White-Mayne have good years then we could have a good season ahead.

He played well in plenty of games last year without Cloke don't see any reason why that would change.Best news is he's only a pup massive improvement still to come

If our midfield can learn how to use him better his output will increase. A few times during JLT they kicked it right to him, forcing him into a wrestle, fine for Cloke but Darcy is different. Darcy needs a good run at it, they need to put it in space, his speed and leap will do the rest.

What do you think?
Personally I think he's going to struggle without Cloke forward he becomes to big of a focal point and talking point early in his career. He shouldn't be our number one forward right now but he's going have to burden the load. I just hope we don't turn him in to the next Jesse Hogan.
Imo Cox NEEDS to be up there inside 50 so he isn't get rag dolled like Cloke was for most of his career. Let's not do to Moore what we did to Cloke. Needs support and another quality big man with him. I'm worried for him in 2017 and hope he can excel.

I think some expectations are a bit too high for Darcy at this stage.

I reckon 30 goals will be par from an individual point of view. He might kick one or two bags, but should be going for around 1-1.5 goals a game. Could potentially get up to about 40 - and it would be pretty great if he does.

But in reality - how he plays his role in the forward line, and more specifically how everyone else is able to structure around him, will determine how i view his season.
I don't want Darcy to be a stay-at-home FF who wants everything to come to him in the fwd 30m. (Basically what I hated about how Clokes game evolved). That will not work for him, and will not work for our gameplan (even if he does score plenty of goals).
Darcy is on his way to becoming a very smart forward - one that runs smartly all day, taking defensive attention and creating space for others in our forward line (and vice-versa). If he can do that, and we have one of Elliot-Fas and one of Cox-White-Mayne have good years then we could have a good season ahead.
The expectations are too high because he is our main forward now. If he was in a side with Tarrant and Cloke in their peak he would be able to go through a bit more unnoticed and with some proper support around him but instead he is now number one and expected to win games for us off his own boot if he doesn't it's going to be a bad year for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back