Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be playing him at CHB now.

Let good forwards take him to the ball and teach him a thing or two. Let him use his dash to make a few forwards look silly on the rebound and gain some confidence. Play him through the ruck. Give him a chance to run around and feel involved.

We have him scaling as a taller, slightly more goofball version of Jack Gunston at the moment.

I think Nathan, rightly or wrongly, would have hitched his wagon and future as a coach on De Goey and Moore taking big leaps this year and becoming young leaders.

One broke his hand while drunk in a fight and lied about it before Round 1 and the other has struggled to take chest marks and find any of the form he promised in his first two years.

Like a young colt send him to the paddock to rest up.
Or geld the young colt to get his mind on the job.

Unsure though that would be helpful ;)

Or geld the young colt to get his mind on the job.

Unsure though that would be helpful ;)

Move him to another trainer that knows what they are doing.

Move him to another trainer that knows what they are doing.
Training horses is not rocket science.

The better horses train themselves, get them fit, feed them well, look after their feet, and they find the tempo in a race and just win.

It's the lesser horses that let you down, those the owners think have this mythical ability, they don't, they are just slower. Might win here or there if everything goes their way.

The best trainers get the best horse flesh ongoing the best bred, run a good operation, are savy, work hard, have a good eye, and get the best horseflesh the best bred (repeated for the point, a slow horse is a slow horse, the more of better bred you get the better your strike rate.)

Ofcourse there are exceptions, eg the late Bart Cummings, he could improve a good top horse in a big race by a length or two because he prepared for the targetted race. But he was the genius exception.

Darcy reminded me of a certain Collingwood Brownlow Medallist Ruck/Forward with his cameo's in the ruck last night. Needs to take the centre bounces more often I reckon. His timing was spot on.

Especially late in the Game when he was Jumping Over Mummy.

Playing him in the Ruck gave him more Touches so he just did not get lost

Anthony Rocca and Nick Reiwoldt both spent time in defence early on. Pavlich too.

Was that a deliberate teaching tool, or just out of necessity for their sides at the time? And was really to the level that you could credit it as a major factor in their development as forwards?

Seems to be one of those "accepted wisdom" kind of strategies that's rarely used and rarely works.

I still think the best way to learn how to play as a forward is to play as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that a deliberate teaching tool, or just out of necessity for their sides at the time? And was really to the level that you could credit it as a major factor in their development as forwards?

Seems to be one of those "accepted wisdom" kind of strategies that's rarely used and rarely works.

I still think the best way to learn how to play as a forward is to play as a forward.

It does help especially with learning the required work rate and running patterns of the best forwards.

I was a fwd in under 18s when i debuted in A grade they played me on one the leagues best ff that was coming to the end of his career.
I learnt so much from just that 1 game which i got bog by the umps votes btw. His running patterns and the amount of running he did was a massive jump from what i thought was a good level.

Moore doesn't need to go there forever just a few games vs the best. Like Nick Reiwoldt and Franklin. Doesn't matter if he gets beaten only that he learns from it and takes it with him when goes back to the forward line.

Dont recall that happening too much. Ruck, perhaps.

Roccas problem was building the aerobic fitness. Took years to lose the huff n puff. Moore doesnt have that problem.

Darcy looked great late in the game. He's such a smooth mover. Play him in the ruck and build his confidence.

Amazing he didn't get killed by mummy and used his athleticism to jump over him...who would of thought it.
I know right? I can't believe nobody had the foresight to see that could happen beforehand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back