Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello back Lynden - see you in 12 months

Not sure of your point? I was simply saying if we have to spend big money on a key forward OR a key back and couldnt afford both, then there are lots of plan B depth options in the backline (like Dunn) that you could top up with as a compromise situation. But the pool of plan B backup key forwards is not that deep.

That said I dont think Moore is a pure defender and the question of his best position is yet to be resolved.

Not sure of your point? I was simply saying if we have to spend big money on a key forward OR a key back and couldnt afford both, then there are lots of plan B depth options in the backline (like Dunn) that you could top up with as a compromise situation. But the pool of plan B backup key forwards is not that deep.

That said I dont think Moore is a pure defender and the question of his best position is yet to be resolved.
Who they target also depends to some extent on the game plan - defensive vs attacking. This year our attack has been ok without Moore or Elliott to date. Are Lynch's stats such that we should throw big $ at him? Don't know the answers - just posting away during a lull at work....

Arguably both ends of the ground need equal attention. Its probably easier to pick up a cheap depth option in defence (Dunn says hi!) than it is to find a good cheap key forward.
Dunn was always a quality player, was being squeezed out because Melbourne did not see him as part of the final rebuild and hence we were the beneficiary of that. Any others that may be underutilized at other Clubs that fit the mould, I'm not sure?

It will be tough for Dunn to come back, if he gets the choice to do so.

Dunn was always a quality player, was being squeezed out because Melbourne did not see him as part of the final rebuild and hence we were the beneficiary of that. Any others that may be underutilized at other Clubs that fit the mould, I'm not sure?

I agree that Dunn always had the potential but disagree that he had produced for Melbourne what he has for us in any consistent manner.

I hope that he is able to extract another year or 2 of quality football for us, but it will be a big challenge given the seriousness of his injury and his age.

Last edited:

I think he is a forward and we will see his best value in that role in the future.

Signing Lynch to the millions of dollars he is apparently worth would make it a lot more difficult to keep certain players down the track.

For some reason we are currently obsessed with giving players two years extensions now. We'll go through the exact same issue in 2020 with out of contract players as we currently are this year. The thing is, De Goey, Scharenberg, Aish and Moore (if he signs the two year deal we've put in front of him) will be reaching free agent status by that point and will likely command a lot more money.

List is in constant flux so I think we'll manage in much the same way we were able to keep those players we wanted when we had the likes of Cloke on a huge contract. TPP will continue to grow as well so we'll see situations like the Treloar deal which was seen as very high when signed but over time ended up being quite reasonable.

We don't have many, Treloar, Pendlebury, Elliott De Gooey and Sidebottom only. Potential for Stephenson.

You've highlighted those who tend to do it more often but we have a number of others who have had "match winning" games like (without bothering to think too deeply on it) Grundy, WHE, Thomas, Crisp, and Howe. Personally, I like that we're able to spread the load more and reduce dependence upon any 1 individual.

Historically I think its easier to find defenders than it its to find forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have liked him as a forward up until I saw him play live on Sunday.

Darcy often goes missing in the forward line. When the ball is going through his opponent he is always in the game in the backline. It’s his future imo.

Darcy often goes missing in the forward line. When the ball is going through his opponent he is always in the game in the backline. It’s his future imo.

Its a harder job in the forward line. Not sure hes ever had a clean run at it. I'm not sure where his future lies but I hope its at Collingwood. Play him back and recruit Lynch is the ideal scenario!

I would not be against playing him at CHB for the next 3 years then swinging him forward the back half of his career if we have no other options, keep him back if we are fine up forward.

That because the last 2-4 Seasons Delivery to Forward Line was Shocking but has Improved this Season

Its a harder job in the forward line. Not sure hes ever had a clean run at it. I'm not sure where his future lies but I hope its at Collingwood. Play him back and recruit Lynch is the ideal scenario!
Agree there, tough place to play but our forwards are functioning well this year I don’t really know what more he could add right now up there. He can add so much more down back and it was evident on the weekend imo.

Delivery into he forward hasn’t really anything to do with why he goes missing. It’s something that’s happened right through his junior career.

So you saying as a Forward he is Either Lazy or Can't Read the Play very well?

So you saying as a Forward he is Either Lazy or Can't Read the Play very well?
I don’t think he demands the ball enough as a forward, all good forwards do. I don’t think he worked hard enough to bust every contest. When he played deep he was ok with just sitting there.

Maybe he would have developed more and ended up doing those things, but I just think he looks more natural as a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back