Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makes you wonder if we should have rolled the dice with him in the grand final really.

Can’t change that now but hopefully we can look forward to another decade of him holding up one of our key defensive positions, he’s got everything needed, size, speed, athleticism, good hands, knows when to punch and when to mark, and he uses the footy around the ground much better than I thought he would, lacks a little penetration on long passes if you were being real critical but that’s hardly the end of the world.

No way you risk him in a GF last year having struggled to finish a game all season and been out for a while.

You'd need Andrews to go down again for there to be any chance of that happening.
I've got to watch more Brisbane games. I keep hearing how good Andrews is. In my snippets of memory, I view him as a powerful athlete, but I just see a standard, see ball, punch ball defender.

He looks natural in the back line so far. Twice the player than as a forward, sorry dave,

How would you know? he hasn't played forward at the same age and stage of career...last time he was there he was a teen in a bottom 4-6 team.

He might go forward and be just as dominant.

But yes so far he has been excellent down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would you know? he hasn't played forward at the same age and stage of career...last time he was there he was a teen in a bottom 4-6 team.

He might go forward and be just as dominant.

But yes so far he has been excellent down back.
Sorry for having an opinion that differs for yours, l bow to your knowledge.
Na l don’t bow to anyone.
Your in one of your arguing moods l see.
But l stand by what l said
The end

I think a full healthy pre season has worked wonders.

Might have been too shaky body wise last finals series.
Well never know.
I’d not have been upset if they rolled the dice with Moore over Goldsack (the logical replacement).
In addition there was the risk of him reinjuring himself, playing too soon and in a GF at that. As you say, we may never know.

Last edited:
I was thinking that during the game last night. He is great defensively, and a real weapon with the ball.
I know this may sound like hindsight, but I loved the move for Moore to defence from when I 1st heard about it.

I remember most pies fans were filthy.

Sorry for having an opinion that differs for yours, l bow to your knowledge.
Na l don’t bow to anyone.
Your in one of your arguing moods l see.
But l stand by what l said
The end

LOL? Thats a fair dummy spit for being asked a question?

I'm genuinely asking how would you or anyone know to make definitive statements? Where is the fair comparison of his fwd vs Def?

Lets recap Darcy the forward.

He was 18/19/20 years old.
Built like a stick.
Played as the main often sole KPF target inside 50.
Degoey was a inconsistent pup. Elliott oft injured.
Forward line as a grp was dysfunctional (even when Darcy moved out this wasn't fixed for a long time, even saw it round 1 vs Geelong that its still a work in progress).
The team was ranked bottom 2 for inside 50 conversions, bottom 2 for inside 50 effective kicks/entry's, bottom 3 for inside 50s and the ball movement was often slow and bombed in to defender advantage.

Year 1 he played 9 games, had a 5 goal game but also went goalless in 5 games. 16 tackles Darcy had good 2nd efforts.
Year 2 he played 17 games only went goalless 3 times, had 3 games of 3 goals and broke double digit disp 8 times. Kicked 24 goals 14 points for the season. 29 tackles
Year 3 He played 21 games kicked 25 goals 19. Took 7 or more marks in 9 games. 11 games where he broke into teens for disp and 40 tackles for the year.

Darcy was building and if persisted with as a forward last 2 seasons, there is every chance we may have been talking about the coming of age of our superstar FF/CHF.

Last edited:
N
I know this may sound like hindsight, but I loved the move for Moore to defence from when I 1st heard about it.

I remember most pies fans were filthy.

Many were. For some reason people seem to value good forwards over good backs. Probably because everyone loves to kick a goal.

Personally I have always favoured him as a key back. Like Howe I just think it suits him better. That is not to say he could not be a good forward.

N

Many were. For some reason people seem to value good forwards over good backs. Probably because everyone loves to kick a goal.

Personally I have always favoured him as a key back. Like Howe I just think it suits him better. That is not to say he could not be a good forward.
I have to admit I have always valued good defenders over good forwards.

Your points are spot on.

Year 1 he played 9 games, had a 5 goal game but also went goalless in 5 games. 16 tackles Darcy had good 2nd efforts.
Year 2 he played 17 games only went goalless 3 times, had 3 games of 3 goals and broke double digit disp 8 times. Kicked 24 goals 14 points for the season. 29 tackles
Year 3 He played 21 games kicked 25 goals 19. Took 7 or more marks in 9 games. 11 games where he broke into teens for disp and 40 tackles for the year.

So you're saying that as a tall forward, he performed at a similar standard to one of your whipping boys. The big question is who "halved" more contests. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist.

As a footballer, he looks like he's lost the slightly ungainly colt look that he had and looks ready to be a gun. If Moore played forward this year, I'm pretty confident that he'd outperform Cox. But I'm also pretty confident that he'd outperform him by less than he'll outperform Goldsack or whoever would replace Moore in defence.

So you're saying that as a tall forward, he performed at a similar standard to one of your whipping boys. The big question is who "halved" more contests. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist.

As a footballer, he looks like he's lost the slightly ungainly colt look that he had and looks ready to be a gun. If Moore played forward this year, I'm pretty confident that he'd outperform Cox. But I'm also pretty confident that he'd outperform him by less than he'll outperform Goldsack or whoever would replace Moore in defence.

I can tell you who was flat out beaten more often then the other...old mate Cox. Darcy had no issues for the most part creating a contest and bringing it down iirc I had more issues with his lack of leading and his timing then when he did go and compete.

Cox's also not a whipping boy, merely stated he needs to do better then the crap he dished up vs Geelong. I say it as I see it and some of his efforts are poor throughout games.
Happy with his game vs Tigers but he needs to consistently back it up and hopefully add to it.

Moore as a teen was tracking ok and had he followed up each year till now as a fwd he'd likely be a very good forward. Definitive statements that he is no good forward based off what he did in year 1-3 as a teen in a poor team are baseless imo.

I can tell you who was flat out beaten more often then the other...old mate Cox. Darcy had no issues for the most part creating a contest and bringing it down iirc I had more issues with his lack of leading and his timing then when he did go and compete.

We have different memories. I remember him running under the footy way too much and his opponent reading it better and marking behind him. Judging on last night, I still think getting a bit too far under the ball in aerial contests is an area he needs to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back