Player Watch Darcy Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both coaches were happy with their players after the game. If you as a blues supporter heard before the match that McKay would have 10 possies, 3 contested marks, 7 score involvements and score 4.0, you’d take it all day. Ditto the 18 intercept possies that Moore had with Howe the closest on 10.
Hard to say one player beat the other but it’s also hard to say Moore won comprehensively.
Moore won comprehensively. Not hard to say at all. They were involved in a heap of contests and Moore won a huge percentage of them. Saying Moore didn't win comprehensively is like saying that Adams didn't, becasue I daresay his counterpart in the midfield also got a fair bit of the ball.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
Moore won comprehensively. Not hard to say at all. They were involved in a heap of contests and Moore won a huge percentage of them. Saying Moore didn't win comprehensively is like saying that Adams didn't, becasue I daresay his counterpart in the midfield also got a fair bit of the ball.

I don’t agree. As a defender your role is primarily to stop goals. As a forward your role is primarily to facilitate goals. Moore was good but that was not a comprehensive win by any measure. McKay wouldn’t be devastated with his job, nor should he be.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t agree. As a defender your role is primarily to stop goals. As a forward your role is primarily to facilitate goals. Moore was good but that was not a comprehensive win by any measure. McKay wouldn’t be devastated with his job, nor should he be.
As always there can be no meaningful measure without taking into account the effect of the rebound to our scoring process.
In other words how many goals did his rebounding play facilitate?
How much pressure on opposition backmen was increased thereby weakening the defensive structure?

The old measures no longer apply because the old playstyles are simply gone.

It really comes down to who scored what in the end and why.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Imo Moore won ,there were two goals that should have been free kicks to Moore, one was paid against him for holding when clearly he was being held by the arm ,the second was a mark paid to Mckay, but if you watch that you will see he is holding Moore's hands to stop him. i guess its called good forward craft but a hold is a hold and was definitely a free kick to Moore. I like Mckay wish he played for us.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I would choose McKay out of their team to play with us. 18 intercept possies is a lot for a defender so he is still doing a defender's job. Caro has described him as a "beautiful player".

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I would choose McKay out of their team to play with us. 18 intercept possies is a lot for a defender so he is still doing a defender's job. Caro has described him as a "beautiful player".
Caro would describe Pol Pot as a wonderful human being if by doing so it would inconvenience Collingwood. Rollseyes.gif

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

That is twentieth century thinking. These days players have to be both attacking and defensive regardless of where on the field they play. Yes you can get away with one or two Rougheads in your defence, but if you have too many you will never win. Ball will never leave your back half. There is a risk reward element to defending these days.

Caro would describe Pol Pot as a wonderful human being if by doing so it would inconvenience Collingwood. Rollseyes.gif
Pretty sure it was Moore she was describing.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
That is twentieth century thinking. These days players have to be both attacking and defensive regardless of where on the field they play. Yes you can get away with one or two Rougheads in your defence, but if you have too many you will never win. Ball will never leave your back half. There is a risk reward element to defending these days.

I’m probably fine with dating Moore won the battle, even though it was clearly close given McKay’s substantial impact on the result. But to say Moore won easily, as has been suggested in this thread, is generous. You could see Moore’s frustration when he was beaten in one marking contest by McKay. I dare say the Collingwood coaching and playing group wouldn’t be as adamant about that battle as we are.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m probably fine with dating Moore won the battle, even though it was clearly close given McKay’s substantial impact on the result. But to say Moore won easily, as has been suggested in this thread, is generous. You could see Moore’s frustration when he was beaten in one marking contest by McKay. I dare say the Collingwood coaching and playing group wouldn’t be as adamant about that battle as we are.
Yeah that is a fair comment. I think that Moore lost one battle because he was stuffed, the one where McKay threw him aside after he had done a lot of running. He was not rotated all night but covered a lot of ground. Reckon fatigue set in a couple of times.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moore is a gun - no doubt.

But I think a player's performance should be judged on a net basis ie player contribution minus opponent contribution. For me I think a Presti type backman who has little or no possessions however holds his forward opponent to zero goals has made a more valuable contribution to the team overall. But I understand that Moore is not that type of player and he has a different role to play. That notwithstanding if a forward kicks 4 goals that would be viewed as having had a significant contribution in any team. Maybe that's the tradeoff for Moore's dash and run.

Different era. Moore likely wasn’t even opposed to McKay when he kick some of those 4 goals such is the on-field rotations now.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
On balance I would give the nod to Moore. However in today's game, not many forwards kick 4 goals in a match anymore. And as to how the forward gets his goals, well as in golf parlance, you don't draw a picture.

I think we’ll see a lot more forwards kicking bags of 4 or more this year given the quick ball movement and 1v1 contests forward of the footy.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Exactly. The only real truth is that our defence outperformed their defence.

How many times did they kick it to him and have the ball ping out of their defence at a rate of knots, due to his opponent beating him. He took 4 chances, but didn't contribute in any other way. It was a smashing. Moore was so good that they should have gotten McKay to play decoy and targetted Levi instead.

Yep. And on the defensive front, Mckay was absolutely smashed.

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both Moore and McKay had good games. If you only knew that McKay played on Moore, and McKay kicked four goals, then you would most likely say McKay won the battle. However if you watched the game, you would be able to say that they both played well, despite Moore having four goals kicked on him, and that Moore had a greater influence on the game.

18 intercept possessions means Moore saved a lot more goals than McKay scored. Plus he attacked the other way. McKay played ok but Moore was in my view best afield.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
18 intercept possessions means Moore saved a lot more goals than McKay scored. Plus he attacked the other way. McKay played ok but Moore was in my view best afield.
I just saw on Channel 9 that the blokes said there was a case for Moore being best on ground but they did not give him any votes because McKay kicked 4 goals. Instead they gave the votes to Adams, Pendles and Jordy.

I just saw on Channel 9 that the blokes said there was a case for Moore being best on ground but they did not give him any votes because McKay kicked 4 goals. Instead they gave the votes to Adams, Pendles and Jordy.
Most football commentators on television are ******* idiots.

Both of Moores matches this year have been outstanding from an individual point of view.
He will have 18 Coaches votes this time next week and I reckon he already has 6 Brownlow votes.
I only hope he wins both his Brownlows at the Pies, unlike his Dad.
I had a mate put a Grey nurse on him for the Brownlow on Friday @ $51.00

Wish me luck.
It can only be good for Footy. :thumbsu: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back