Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon defender Mason Redman ranks as AFL’s most consistent player to Round 15
Every coach loves the player they can rely on to deliver each week. But you might be surprised who ranks No. 1 as the AFL’s most consistent performer of 2019.
Tim Michell, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
9 minutes ago
Close

FOXSPORTS3:12
Howe breaks bet silence
AFL: Appeearing on On The Couch, Collingwood's Jeremy Howe has broken his silence on his counse...

382d2ccdab92c72c4e5e49a98b8ebd39

MORE IN SPORT

Police open probe into Roo’s bar scuffle

North makes move on Longmire

similars

Darcy Moore’s importance to Collingwood has been emphasised by statistics which reveal the key defender is one of the AFL’s most consistent players.
Champion Data statistics show Moore ranks third in the competition for ranking points consistency, behind Essendon’s Mason Redman and Melbourne’s Josh Wagner.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST
After being restricted to seven games last season due to injury, Moore has scored between 64 and 79 in nine of his 11 matches, averaging 15.5 disposals and 4.6 marks in 2019.
“He’s certainly shored up their defence,” Magpies premiership player Mick McGuane said.
“I would love to see over an extended period of time how Moore and (Tom) Langdon operate.
“I reckon we’d be talking in similar volumes to (Tom) Barrass, (Shannon) Hurn and (Jeremy) McGovern.
“Them as a team within the team would be quite formidable.
“From an individual standpoint he’s very good one-on-one and he’s proven that on a number of occasions this year.
“He backs his judgment in the air which I like in a defender.”
18fb95bc2165eefd2030923ff2ab32f0
Essendon's Mason Redman has been the most consistent player of 2019. Picture: Michael Klein.
Moore ranks fourth among players with an average of 70 ranking points or more for reliability behind Geelong’s Tom Stewart (101.1 points), Hawthorn midfielder James Worpel (89) and dumped Port Adelaide ruckman Paddy Ryder (83.8).
“I see a really driven individual that has lived in the land of hurt and frustration,” McGuane, who recently spoke to Moore for an exclusive one-on-one interview, said.
“Which has been outside of his control because his body has failed him at times. But the way he has attacked his rehab … it’s made him a consistent contributor this year.”
After 24 matches, Worpel has already established himself as a key member of Hawthorn’s engine room.
The 20-year-old has had at least 20 disposals in 12 of his 13 games this year, helping fill the void left by Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell’s season-ending injury.
4a095f8ac418233c4d213eb0680608b8
Darcy Moore has proven his value to Collingwood in defence after overcoming injury. Picture: AAP Image/Daniel Pockett.
Geelong Falcons talent manager Michael Turner still regards Worpel as one of the greatest draft steals in his time at the NAB League footy factory.
Worpel led the Falcons to a premiership in his draft year, which Turner spent urging AFL clubs to pay close attention to the ball-winning ability of a midfielder he likened to Taylor Adams and Ben Cunnington.
“The James Worpel one, in my time, it’s probably one of the biggest shocks I’ve had that he went pick No. 45 in the draft,” Turner told the Herald Sun this week.
“He’s proven them wrong.”
Turner said he Worpel’s professionalism had enabled him to make the jump from under-18 football to AFL level with little fuss.
“The biggest thing with all players once they go to AFL clubs, as long as they have got that attitude that they are going to work hard to improve, they will improve,” he said.
“He’s been fantastic.”
34a94d6654d839fb3f5037e87d57f46b
Josh Wagner has been a reliable performer for Melbourne this year. Picture: Michael Klein
All-Australian defender Stewart has been the most consistent player with an average ranking above 100, followed by Western Bulldogs half-back flanker Caleb Daniel (103.6) and Sydney’s Jake Lloyd (116.2).
Geelong VFL coach Shane O’Bree, one of the key figures in Stewart’s successful transition to the AFL ranks, said the 26-year-old’s reliability was one of his strengths.
“He puts a lot of work into his game on and off the field which helps him be a consistent player,” O’Bree said.
“Now (reliability) is really importance because of no runners. You want all your players having a good knowledge of the game and awareness.
“Tom is very good at that … he knows our game plan inside and out.”

Darcy is a very impressive young man. Great to hear him speak so openly and articulately about the injury struggles last season and the anguish it caused him. Can’t help but compare that to some of the garbage spewed about him on here at times, particularly last year.

Far from it. :) He thought he was the lame horse in the stable last year who couldn't contribute to our cause. He broke down in Bucks' office the Thursday before the granny.
I broke down with one minute to go in the granny, because I couldn’t contribute to our cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be writing at an emotional time but I would not really get too worked up if he was traded. I am sick of feeling a knot in my gut every time he, Reid or Elliott extend themselves wondering if this is the moment when their hammy or calf will snap. Sure enough, it always happens. It's never a matter of if, simply when.

Shattered for him. After seeing that interview on AFL Tonight where he talked about the mental battle with his contant inuries I can't imagine what he is thinking now. He just couldn't afford to do the hammy again.

Poor bloke. Must be very frustrating
At the moment all of my empathy rests with his teammates left slogging their guts out to cover his loss (yet again), the coach, who has probably seen our top four chances go down the drain and the supporters who have endured this crap for years. Darcy is a lovely young man getting a lovely big pay packet for playing footy, something he doesn't do very often. That's his job and he can't do it.

I may be writing at an emotional time but I would not really get too worked up if he was traded. I am sick of feeling a knot in my gut every time he, Reid or Elliott extend themselves wondering if this is the moment when their hammy or calf will snap. Sure enough, it always happens. It's never a matter of if, simply when.

Who would want to pay as much as it would to take him off us?

Was moving freely enough so it must be a minor one, but enough to keep him off. Very frustrating for us.

Just like Swans Game. He felt a Twinge and then Pulled out of rest of Game

The best of social media; the worst of social media

Darcy is a very impressive young man. Great to hear him speak so openly and articulately about the injury struggles last season and the anguish it caused him. Can’t help but compare that to some of the garbage spewed about him on here at times, particularly last year.
That's unfair. No-one has ever explained why a man who sprinted off the ground against the Swans the night he had "hamstring awareness" went on to miss the next two months of footy. We saw him sprint off with a hamstring injury, so why would you have a go at supporters who want to know exactly what was going on with Moore as our final's campaign began.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back