Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really rate Dougal. I’d be in support of his pickup, although as you mentioned, it could backfire in terms of list balance if Moore doesn’t pan out as a forward.

Roughead isn’t getting any younger though. Wonder if howard would be happy biding his time until then though... probably not.

Played in a under 16’s grand final against Dougal... was a very dark day, he kicked a huge bag and we lost by 130
I used to have a dog named Dougal.

Moore's marking, even contested marking in defence has become elite. Why swap someone who could become one of the best, if not the best defender across the whole competition from his rightful position?
Because good forwards are allot harder to find then good defenders.

How many KPFs are more valuable to their team than Jeremy MacGovern? Not many, if any.
Agree, when was the last time we had a gun CHB? Other teams' fans rate him as a defender and love watching him. Bob Murphy reckons when he goes to our matches he focusses specifically on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many KPFs are more valuable to their team than Jeremy MacGovern? Not many, if any.

Josh Kennedy is equally important to that team and was for many a year.

Take Lynch out of tigers and they lose another Prelim, yet they won a flag without Rance (your mcGovern).

Fact is its a lot easier to find someone capable of taking over that role then someone to be a beacon KPF goal kicker. We have multiple on our team who can cover Moores move with Howe equally adept at peeling off and coming over the top (which he was in AA frame the year previous).

Take Lynch out of tigers and they lose another Prelim, yet they won a flag without Rance (your mcGovern).

Fact is its a lot easier to find someone capable of taking over that role then someone to be a beacon KPF goal kicker. We have multiple on our team who can cover Moores move with Howe equally adept at peeling off and coming over the top (which he was in AA frame the year previous).

and we almost won that GF in 2018 without a Full Back and a Center Half Back

In terms of Josh Kennedy, I agree and if Moore is going to be as good and consistent as Kennedy as a forward, we should play him there. It's a bloody big if though.

In terms of Lynch. A star player played a great game in a victory, whereas a different star player was injured, therefore the star player played a role that is more important to his team. I don't think that train of thought holds up.

In terms of Josh Kennedy, I agree and if Moore is going to be as good and consistent as Kennedy as a forward, we should play him there. It's a bloody big if though.

In terms of Lynch. A star player played a great game in a victory, whereas a different star player was injured, therefore the star player played a role that is more important to his team. I don't think that train of thought holds up.

Without Lynch kicking 5 and dragging his team over the line after Geelong were well on top in the first half they dont even play in the GF.

It's a lot easier to get a player to step up and play defensively then to bring in a player to fill a KPF role and have them impact enough to help when the chips are down.

Without Lynch kicking 5 and dragging his team over the line after Geelong were well on top in the first half they dont even play in the GF.

It's a lot easier to get a player to step up and play defensively then to bring in a player to fill a KPF role and have them impact enough to help when the chips are down.

We'll never know what would have happened if Lynch didn't play and Rance did. A couple of Lynch goals were from magnificent hit ups from Prestia, would he have hit up someone else? Would Rance have made it harder for the Cats to score and thus helped Richmond to win that way? Would Rance's energy have stopped the Tigers from coming out of the blocks lethargically? It would have been a different game.

I agree that a top forward is more valuable than a top defender, but I'm very confident that Moore will be a top defender - as a forward, I'm not yet convinced. I'd love him to have another crack up forward at some stage, but wouldn't shift him until he's had a settled run with his body.

Moore's marking, even contested marking in defence has become elite. Why swap someone who could become one of the best, if not the best defender across the whole competition from his rightful position?
I agree with you but he could also be the best at the other end, he's a freak and will get better. IMHO.

Good to have options but I do like him down back now, I originally had him forward.

Over time I've seen this "discussion" so many times. Sheedy used to shift Daniher forward and back (he was always more effective forward) he did the same with Van der Haar, the same with Weston he even tried Walsh up forward one final (now that looked ridiculous!).
Barassi did it with Crosswell (he was always better back) and the Hawks even tried it with Peter Knights on a few occasions (so stupid)
When you "find" an AA level player by position you don't go mucking around with trying to make him or her into something that the "fans" believe you need. You actually try and find another AA talent up forward and BUILD a better team.
Darce played a great batch of games in these finals and needs continuity and acceptance. Let him play it for 3-4 years till he can fully trust his body and then start flipping him forward. If we need a shock value marking forward to play a quarter here or there then send Howe forward. Let Darcy Moore play!

Over time I've seen this "discussion" so many times. Sheedy used to shift Daniher forward and back (he was always more effective forward) he did the same with Van der Haar, the same with Weston he even tried Walsh up forward one final (now that looked ridiculous!).
Barassi did it with Crosswell (he was always better back) and the Hawks even tried it with Peter Knights on a few occasions (so stupid)
When you "find" an AA level player by position you don't go mucking around with trying to make him or her into something that the "fans" believe you need. You actually try and find another AA talent up forward and BUILD a better team.
Darce played a great batch of games in these finals and needs continuity and acceptance. Let him play it for 3-4 years till he can fully trust his body and then start flipping him forward. If we need a shock value marking forward to play a quarter here or there then send Howe forward. Let Darcy Moore play!
Agree with all of that, except the timeframe. 3-4 years is a bit too long for me, I'd settle him for 2 years and then have a look at him up forward again. But ultimately, I think he'll be a better defender. It suits his marking style more and he looks like developing a pretty impressive run and carry aspect to his game, which will become redundant if he becomes a KPF.

As a defender, I'd like to see him used as a marking target in transition more. That'll possibly be a weapon, but also give us a better understanding about his forward line potential and him the opportunity to develop his target forward skills. It really annoys me that our best marks - Howe and Moore play structurally embedded roles, whereby they're not used as marking targets - it just seems such a waste, which I suppose is how those who want him forward view the whole argument.

Last edited:
Nicely put.

leigh Matthews would suggest in trying to improve one area of play by moving an excellent position player you might end up having two weaker areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back