Draft Profile Darcy Parish

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Dig up. I'm sure Parish couldn't possibly replicate McIntosh's 13 disposals a game.
Because football matches are won by the team that has the most disposals. I'm not sure what the goals are even for.

McIntosh is an automatic selection and important role player for a team that has won 37 games in two years. Parish is not even an automatic selection for a team that can't make finals, let alone win one. Would not get a game for us.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You see Parish becoming an All Australian and winning multiple best and fairest? That’s a big call.

Not necessarily, it’s all contextual to the times and the success of your team. I think we are about to have a generation of elite midfielders that’ll be better than the likes of Hannebery and a 20 year old Parker who he won AA next to. I could see him replicating his impact, play style and numbers.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the expectations were off, looking at the draft it was just a s**t year for midfielders. Only Oliver, Phillips and arguably Sier are better in the entire draft and none of them had excellent under 18 resumes. He’s still a decent player who could still peak at someone like Rory Sloanes level and much better than McIntosh who wouldn’t get a game in most teams but Richmond can afford to carry a few bums.
It was the year Vic Metro largely took off from the draft and so there was a gap in the usual talent. You're missing a couple there though.
1. Dunkley - who in 2016 and the back half of 2018 has looked a very strong midfielder
2. Gresham - who in spurts in 2018 has already shown himself as a gun midfielder in waiting. He had a great under 18 year and I remember Brett Anderson was pushing him as a top 10 pick over Parish at the time.

Agree it's a strange list but things can change quickly.
- Mills was the best junior mid, I prefer him on a back flank but Sydney apparently will try him in the middle this year.
- Hopper has played some very good games, at a club with a lesser midfielder he might be established in the centre by now
- Matt Kennedy had the same problem as Hopper and then went to Carlton who were too bad, needs to be somewhere in the middle but made some strikes late last year
- Milera, Rioli and Burton are 3 very good players who could work their way to midfield

It might all change for Parish. He has a good work rate, cracks in well enough and uses the ball well at times, at other times he panics, makes awful decisions and butchers it. I think one of his big problems is he isn't suited to a particular position. I thought his best footy was as a 17 year old on a back flank but Essendon have better options there. He makes a nice player on ball who's run can compliment bigger mids but Essendon have plenty of them. And he's not really a natural on the wing or half forward.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Not necessarily, it’s all contextual to the times and the success of your team. I think we are about to have a generation of elite midfielders that’ll be better than the likes of Hannebery and a 20 year old Parker who he won AA next to. I could see him replicating his impact, play style and numbers.
I think your under rating Hannebery who nearly averaged 31 touches, finished 7th in the AFL coaches votes, 2nd in his B&F (a team that made the grand final) and 4th in the Brownlow. Parker also was huge averring 27 touches, kicked 25 goals, was 5th in the AFL coaches votes and 2nd in the Brownlow.

Hanners was never the same after the 2016 Grand Final.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
It was the year Vic Metro largely took off from the draft and so there was a gap in the usual talent. You're missing a couple there though.
1. Dunkley - who in 2016 and the back half of 2018 has looked a very strong midfielder
2. Gresham - who in spurts in 2018 has already shown himself as a gun midfielder in waiting. He had a great under 18 year and I remember Brett Anderson was pushing him as a top 10 pick over Parish at the time.

- Mills was the best junior mid, I prefer him on a back flank but Sydney apparently will try him in the middle this year.
- Hopper has played some very good games, at a club with a lesser midfielder he might be established in the centre by now
- Matt Kennedy had the same problem as Hopper and then went to Carlton who were too bad, needs to be somewhere in the middle but made some strikes late last year
- Milera, Rioli and Burton are 3 very good players who could work their way to midfield

It might all change for Parish. He has a good work rate, cracks in well enough and uses the ball well at times, at other times he panics, makes awful decisions and butchers it. I think one of his big problems is he isn't suited to a particular position. I thought his best footy was as a 17 year old on a back flank but Essendon have better options there. He makes a nice player on ball who's run can compliment bigger mids but Essendon have plenty of them. And he's not really a natural on the wing or half forward.

I like Dunkley and Gresham up forward and agree they are better players than Parish but would prefer Parish in the middle. He still averages 20 and 3.5 clearances from limited game time. Also I didn’t include anyone we couldn’t have access too as we never could have made the choice.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I think your under rating Hannebery who nearly averaged 31 touches, finished 7th in the AFL coaches votes, 2nd in his B&F (a team that made the grand final) and 4th in the Brownlow. Parker also was huge averring 27 touches, kicked 25 goals, was 5th in the AFL coaches votes and 2nd in the Brownlow.

Hanners was never the same after the 2016 Grand Final.

It was a weak year, 7th won the flag and the selectors just loaded up on the top teams. Fyfe and Dangerfield the only generational midfield talents in their peak and Fyfe missed most of the year.

Not talking any smack on Parker who I think is a genuine talent was just premature and lucky with timing. Him along with Cripps, Kelly, Bontempelli, Yeo, Heeney, Martin, Oliver, are all generational talents that could pick 4-5 All Australians over the next decade and spots will be tight.

Even an elite player will be lucky to steal one and doubt Hannebery or Sloane would be able to get an AA during the peak of the afore mentioned.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It was a weak year, 7th won the flag and the selectors just loaded up on the top teams. Fyfe and Dangerfield the only generational midfield talents in their peak and Fyfe missed most of the year.

Not talking any smack on Parker who I think is a genuine talent was just premature and lucky with timing. Him along with Cripps, Kelly, Bontempelli, Yeo, Heeney, Martin, Oliver, are all generational talents that could pick 4-5 All Australians over the next decade and spots will be tight.

Even an elite player will be lucky to steal one and doubt Hannebery or Sloane would be able to get an AA during the peak of the afore mentioned.
Lol what? Can you name a strong year? Hannebery has 3 AAs.

He won 1 with Pendles, Sam Mitchell, Watson, Ablett Jr, Selwood, Dangerfield & Swan. The young guns will be doing very well to come over the top of these mids.

Because football matches are won by the team that has the most disposals. I'm not sure what the goals are even for.

McIntosh is an automatic selection and important role player for a team that has won 37 games in two years. Parish is not even an automatic selection for a team that can't make finals, let alone win one. Would not get a game for us.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity. Parish takes a massive dump on McIntosh as a player, Parish's rookie year has been superior to any season McIntosh has produced in his 6 year career. Your temper tantrum doesn't change that fact. If you put a poll up asking if Parish would get a game ahead of McIntosh anywhere outside of the Richmond board it would be overwhelmingly in Parish's favour

As for not an automatic selection, bullshit. McIntosh has played more games than Parish in the VFL the past 3 years by a country mile.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity. Parish takes a massive dump on McIntosh as a player, Parish's rookie year has been superior to any season McIntosh has produced in his 6 year career. Your temper tantrum doesn't change that fact. If you put a poll up asking if Parish would get a game ahead of McIntosh anywhere outside of the Richmond board it would be overwhelmingly in Parish's favour

As for not an automatic selection, bullshit. McIntosh has played more games than Parish in the VFL the past 3 years by a country mile.
Copy - paste - pearler - move on. Not sure a response was required.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Lol what? Can you name a strong year? Hannebery has 3 AAs.

He won 1 with Pendles, Sam Mitchell, Watson, Ablett Jr, Selwood, Dangerfield & Swan. The young guns will be doing very well to come over the top of these mids.

2010, had 5 brownlows, 3 Coleman medalists, seven norm smiths. Leigh Montagna the only mid that wasn’t elite.

With the exception of Dangerfield none of them are physically impressive specimen. We are entering an era where football attributes are meeting up with the athletic prototypes ideals of the mid naughties for the first time. They excelled with one or two attributes, without a need to apply tackle pressure, where only a handful of 190cm mids were around.

It’s like saying Don Bradman is greatest cricketer ever even though he never faced a ball over 120k, you can be the best of your era and not stack up to the modern reality.

2010, had 5 brownlows, 3 Coleman medalists, seven norm smiths. Leigh Montagna the only mid that wasn’t elite.

With the exception of Dangerfield none of them are physically impressive specimen. We are entering an era where football attributes are meeting up with the athletic prototypes ideals of the mid naughties for the first time. They excelled with one or two attributes, without a need to apply tackle pressure, where only a handful of 190cm mids were around.

It’s like saying Don Bradman is greatest cricketer ever even though he never faced a ball over 120k, you can be the best of your era and not stack up to the modern reality.
You know Harold Larwood bowled 150 clicks, right? And Bradman is the ultimate statistical anomaly, ever. Like nobody gets close. He's 166% of the next closest player ever. If Bradman was here today he'd average 130, given that the wickets are covered and favour the batsmen so much more than the minefields he played on.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

2013 had 6 brownlows awarded. Not sure Coleman’s are a discussion point around mids.

Bradman is the GOAT.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You know Harold Larwood bowled 150 clicks, right? And Bradman is the ultimate statistical anomaly, ever. Like nobody gets close. He's 166% of the next closest player ever. If Bradman was here today he'd average 130, given that the wickets are covered and favour the batsmen so much more than the minefields he played on.

No chance, it's purely folklore. How could they measure it? Manual stop watches and cameras running at 12 frames a second. No way in hell could you generate an accurate result with those techniques. It's like Coleman jumping over peoples heads and then you see how crazy people went for Jesaulenko's mark which is rudimentary by today's standards. History is always painted with greater significance.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
2013 had 6 brownlows awarded. Not sure Coleman’s are a discussion point around mids.

Bradman is the GOAT.

Yeah if you count Mitchell and Watson. It also has Boak, Mackie, Jack and Griffen. It's a bit of hyperbole for fun, but surely you agree that not all All Australian players are of equal quality. Sloane and Hannerbery aren't close to Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Judd, Hodges level.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS

In the last 3 years McIntosh has played 3 VFL games, all last year. Prior to that he played every game for the premiership team. Parish has played at least 5 VFL games in that time.

You cling to your delusion that your players are better than ours yet you can't make the finals.

Darcy Parish is a low hurt-factor accumulator who could not fulfill McIntosh's role in our team and would need several injuries to get a look in.

You poor dumb campaigner, you should definitely cry at your own stupidity.

In the last 3 years McIntosh has played 3 VFL games, all last year. Prior to that he played every game for the premiership team. Parish has played at least 5 VFL games in that time.

You cling to your delusion that your players are better than ours yet you can't make the finals.

Darcy Parish is a low hurt-factor accumulator who could not fulfill McIntosh's role in our team and would need several injuries to get a look in.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=4167&pid2=3825&fid1=S&fid2=S
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3825&fid1=P&fopt1=2017&fid2=P&fopt2=2017
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3825&fid1=P&fopt1=2016&fid2=P&fopt2=2016

Yeah, keep deluding yourself that McIntosh is even in the same ballpark. Parish takes a giant dump on him as a player, if you took the yellow and black glasses off you'd agree. What's next, Jack Higgins is better than Orazio Fantasia?

I think the expectations were off, looking at the draft it was just a s**t year for midfielders. Only Oliver, Phillips and arguably Sier are better in the entire draft and none of them had excellent under 18 resumes. He’s still a decent player who could still peak at someone like Rory Sloanes level and much better than McIntosh who wouldn’t get a game in most teams but Richmond can afford to carry a few bums.
So he could peak to become a Rory Sloane type? one of the best players in the league?

Give it a spell dude. At peak he is a Zaharakis type. A very good 200-250 game player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

You're out of date on Hopoer he is established in our inside mid rotation and was all year. Injuries have delayed his progress.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're out of date on Hopoer he is established in our inside mid rotation and was all year. Injuries have delayed his progress.
Was he playing 75% of game time on ball like Ward, Coniglio, Shiel and Kelly though? The Giants games I saw had him on the wing or forward for a lot of them. Even if he was in the centre square he's not the go to guy getting the hit outs his way. It's not a knock on him, just a player who could advance quickly if he's fit and gets more opportunities in his preferred position.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Was he playing 75% of game time on ball like Ward, Coniglio, Shiel and Kelly though? The Giants games I saw had him on the wing or forward for a lot of them. Even if he was in the centre square he's not the go to guy getting the hit outs his way. It's not a knock on him, just a player who could advance quickly if he's fit and gets more opportunities in his preferred position.
I wasn't offended, just a technical point. He's a rarity for us in that he started from his first game in the mid rotations. He expanded his game last year and did rest forward. Pretty rare that I've seen him on the wing though. If he is I'd think it would be filling a slot dynamically in the defensive zone, that happens.

Kelly was predominantly on the wing last year, but he did come in at times and still averaged a couple of clearances a game. Generally Hoppers body would be involved somewhere inside at the clearances.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
So he could peak to become a Rory Sloane type? one of the best players in the league?

Give it a spell dude. At peak he is a Zaharakis type. A very good 200-250 game player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Haha Sloane one of the best in the league hahahaha

Back