Recommitted Darcy Parish - re-signed until 2028!

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Parish has been mentioned to Geelong a few times.

No big loss. Doesn't run both ways.

I'll pack his bags.
with the acquisitions of Bruhn and now Clark, I don't see the fit of Parish to the Cats happening anymore.

Seems as though dons supporters would be more than happy to see the back of Parish and can understand why.
No doubt opposition clubs see exactly what the dons see in Parish so a little puzzled as to how dons supporters would think another club would stump up a large enough contract to trigger band 1 compensation …

Seems as though dons supporters would be more than happy to see the back of Parish and can understand why.
No doubt opposition clubs see exactly what the dons see in Parish so a little puzzled as to how dons supporters would think another club would stump up a large enough contract to trigger band 1 compensation …
difference between not being a quality player & not being the right player for the right club at the right time

25, already been AA.
In a team not rebuilding, you'd be wanting to keep him. But we are, so we look at maybe 2-3 years of him when we're good, vs. having a kid for longer. And he gets to go to a better team in his peak.

Okay - I think that would be fine.

No-one is going to overpay, and neither player is worth more than $650k, tops.

I think, if you match, the players would probably stay. You're not going to keep getting the ridiculous and dodgy overpays like you did with Daniher.

The AFL is cutting down on Band 1 FA compo it seems. Unless he has another AA worthy season, I don't believe Parish would fetch The Dons band 1 compo, despite what another club would pay him.

The AFL is cutting down on Band 1 FA compo it seems. Unless he has another AA worthy season, I don't believe Parish would fetch The Dons band 1 compo, despite what another club would pay him.
It’s like the Brad Crouch conversation that far to max oxygen was used up discussing a couple of years ago. Adelaide wanted to ship him out for a band one compo but the AFL are onto that trick, hence their secret herb and spices formula. In the end he got the Crows band 3. Bombers would love parish to pack his bags if it nets them a band one compo and a top 5 pick but that’s only happening in media click bait dream land..

It’s like the Brad Crouch conversation that far to max oxygen was used up discussing a couple of years ago. Adelaide wanted to ship him out for a band one compo but the AFL are onto that trick, hence their secret herb and spices formula. In the end he got the Crows band 3. Bombers would love parish to pack his bags if it nets them a band one compo and a top 5 pick but that’s only happening in media click bait dream land..
Crouch was on a 600kish per year contract which simply wasn’t enough for band one.
if Parish has a good year like his 2021 (made AA team and was 9th in coaches votes) I could easily see a team do some creative accounting to get Bombers band 1 and get themselves Parish without spending any draft capital.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch was on a 600kish per year contract which simply wasn’t enough for band one.
if Parish has a good year like his 2021 (made AA team and was 9th in coaches votes) I could easily see a team do some creative accounting to get Bombers band 1 and get themselves Parish without spending any draft capital.
You guys conned the league with the Daniher scam - I can't see that happening again.

You guys conned the league with the Daniher scam - I can't see that happening again.
Teams know that if they want Parish they either:

1. Pay enough to get band 1 compensation, or
2. Be prepared to give up their first and then some when we match

I wonder which one teams would prefer...

Teams know that if they want Parish they either:

1. Pay enough to get band 1 compensation, or
2. Be prepared to give up their first and then some when we match

I wonder which one teams would prefer...
Teams have a salary cap - a team like the Cats aren't going to make Parish their 2nd highest paid player to keep a couple of draft picks. He is heading towards the Brad Crouch area for player payments. Around the 650k mark.

Teams have a salary cap - a team like the Cats aren't going to make Parish their 2nd highest paid player to keep a couple of draft picks. He is heading towards the Brad Crouch area for player payments. Around the 650k mark.
No s**t, Sherlock. Teams that aren't prepared to pay enough for band 1 will be prepared for option 2.

Just because you hate Essendon and want him to be band 2 or 3 doesn't mean he will be.

Just because you're 1 eyed essendon and want him to be band 1 doesn't mean he will be.
I'm aware. That's literally why I mentioned option 2.

You seem to be deluding yourself that Essendon wouldn't match in the scenario where he isn't band 1

I'm aware. That's literally why I mentioned option 2.

You seem to be deluding yourself that Essendon wouldn't match in the scenario where he isn't band 1
That's is exactly what the Crow posters were saying about Crouch.

You might match - you also may not - both are an option - deluded is ruling either out.

That's is exactly what the Crow posters were saying about Crouch.

You might match - you also may not - both are an option - deluded is ruling either out.

Adelaide were obviously headed towards a rebuild and didnt want to give a twenty seven year old Crouch a long contract at that point. He also had durability problems at the time, so I think it made sense for them to just take the mediocre compensation.
In our case I think it is much more likely for us to match than accept a second rounder. I am pretty sure we would get better trade offers than that, especially if Parish improves on his 2022 form. Possible but unlikely IMO.

Adelaide were obviously headed towards a rebuild and didnt want to give a twenty seven year old Crouch a long contract at that point. He also had durability problems at the time, so I think it made sense for them to just take the mediocre compensation.
In our case I think it is much more likely for us to match than accept a second rounder. I am pretty sure we would get better trade offers than that, especially if Parish improves on his 2022 form. Possible but unlikely IMO.
That’s a good point - Crouch played 42 games in the previous 2 years leading into the year he was traded. Injury and form and Crows sold him on the cheap.

Parish will be 27 in 2024. If he gets back to his AA level he is a chance to get enough for band 1. On the flip side if he picks up some injuries and has a 2022 year the offers will be like the Crouch offers.

Essendon's 2023 FRP and Parish to Gold Coast for Ben King, who says no?

Back