Recommitted Darcy Tucker [re-signed until 2023]

OP originally by the Ziebull;

Ballarat boy 24 years old with 72 games so far. Has very good endurance and pace and can go through the middle or hbf

probably worth a mid second rounder if he decides to leave

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Geelong need to hit the draft instead of giving up more picks for a player like Tucker who has injury problems (Imo)

I can see the need for them to chase Darcy but Tucker would just be a list clogger for a team that needs to start developing its own kids.

Geelong need to hit the draft instead of giving up more picks for a player like Tucker who has injury problems (Imo)

I can see the need for them to chase Darcy but Tucker would just be a list clogger for a team that needs to start developing its own kids.
Maybe correct, but also maybe a waste of time hitting the draft for players that won't add anything next year.

I'm just trying to figure out if Sumich is just talking out his rear. I'm not quite sure what his role would be at the cats

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Play him on the ball or don't bother.
I'm sure we'd run him through the ball we've also got Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Bytel, Jones etc so he wouldn't be getting a full game on the ball.

I think hes suited off a back flank and wing. I realise he played some good footy for the Dockers on the ball but he's not a great contested ball or clearance winner.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sure we'd run him through the ball we've also got Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Bytel, Jones etc so he wouldn't be getting a full game on the ball.

I think hes suited off a back flank and wing. I realise he played some good footy for the Dockers on the ball but he's not a great contested ball or clearance winner.
He is comfortably at his best in the middle. He's middling everywhere else and in fact, I think his next best position is actually on a HFF. I can't even remember him playing HBF for us (I think he has a little bit). Thinking you might be remembering his draft year re playing half back.

Mid >> HFF > Wing > HBF

There seems to be a clean break in his stats between 2018 and 2019 where he's suddenly racking up 10+ CP out of low 20s disposals games.

Sounds to me like he changed an element of his game there and is an on baller now. Have to admit I haven't really watched him closely so can't say how damaging this possessions are or anything.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is comfortably at his best in the middle. He's middling everywhere else and in fact, I think his next best position is actually on a HFF. I can't even remember him playing HBF for us (I think he has a little bit). Thinking you might be remembering his draft year re playing half back.

Mid >> HFF > Wing > HBF
Where he's played and where I think hes suited are obviously two different things. It was clearly his best position as a youngen and his ball use and pace would suit that role perfectly.

You've got to be a quality on baller to play the majority of the game on ball. Not sure he's going to become that so he's going to play other roles. He's clearly very versatile which is a bonus.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where he's played and where I think hes suited are obviously two different things. It was clearly his best position as a youngen and his ball use and pace would suit that role perfectly.

You've got to be a quality on baller to play the majority of the game on ball. Not sure he's going to become that so he's going to play other roles. He's clearly very versatile which is a bonus.
If you read his attributes on paper you might think that, but I reckon it's not accurate. What he did as a junior 7 years ago is hardly relevant against 6 years in the AFL either.

The only current knock on Tucker (other than doing hamstrings) is that he is inconsistent. He is inconsistent in every role too, so it's not like putting him at half back fixes that. Gets 19 possessions and kicks a goal in one half and then only touches it twice in the other half type stuff.

If he became consistent, he would easily be a top 4 mid for you. His major POD is that he kicks goals which he isn't doing a lot of at HB either.

Each to their own though.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
If you read his attributes on paper you might think that, but I reckon it's not accurate. What he did as a junior 7 years ago is hardly relevant against 6 years in the AFL either.

The only current knock on Tucker (other than doing hamstrings) is that he is inconsistent. He is inconsistent in every role too, so it's not like putting him at half back fixes that. Gets 19 possessions and kicks a goal in one half and then only touches it twice in the other half type stuff.

If he became consistent, he would easily be a top 4 mid for you. His major POD is that he kicks goals which he isn't doing a lot of at HB either.

Each to their own though.
He's still got that skill set he had as a junior though that I think sees him perfectly suited to that role across half back.

Maybe that helps him find some consistency.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe correct, but also maybe a waste of time hitting the draft for players that won't add anything next year.

I'm just trying to figure out if Sumich is just talking out his rear. I'm not quite sure what his role would be at the cats
Sumich was sacked and marched off the premise by Fremantle.

West Coast don’t want him.

Suma is getting older and more salty.

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont think hed even be best 22 at Geelong and Freo would want a decent pick for him, dont see how this one happens and Sumich is good at talking out of his arse.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I dont think hed even be best 22 at Geelong and Freo would want a decent pick for him, dont see how this one happens and Sumich is good at talking out of his arse.

Darcy is too young for Geelong.

Re-visit this thread in 10 years.

Back