Senior Darcy Wilmot (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Wilmot
Height: 183cm

Weight: 75kg

D.O.B: 31-12-2003

Leagues: NAB League Boys

POSITION: Medium Defender

SNAPSHOT: "A tenacious and brave half-back whose most flashy weapons show on the attack, as he breaks the lines with great speed and ball use."

Small-medium defenders can often be dime a dozen, but Darcy Wilmot is one with eye-catching points of difference. The Northern Knights rebounder blends flair and toughness with his pacy forward forays and astute intercept efforts, making for an exciting and well rounded game in defence. He represented Vic Metro at Under 16 level and repeated the feat in this year's Under 19 challenge match, continuing his rise towards top 20 status in 2021. As effectively the youngest player in the draft pool, born on December 31, Wilmot is one day off being ineligible and has plenty of development let in him.

Despite an interrupted season, Darcy Wilmot and his Northern Knights teammates have been thriving throughout the fluctuating 2021 NAB league season.

Wilmot, an attacking half back flanker for the competition’s third placed side, is averaging over 15 disposals this season, embracing his role as one of his team’s most pivotal players.

After playing seven out of the Knights’ nine games, Wilmot is happy with his season so far, and felt he’d been putting together a consistent string of games before Victorian’s lockdowns returned.

“I think from the start of the season to where we are now… I feel like I’m playing pretty good footy,” he says.

THE FIRST thing you notice about Darcy Wilmot is the dash.

The all-action 183cm Northern Knights defender has the type of flair, speed and skill in possession that has easily captured the attention of AFL recruiters. But it's the 'other' stuff that has elevated Wilmot into the upper echelons of this year's NAB AFL Draft crop.

Wilmot has the run and carry, in addition to the penetration and precision by foot, that makes him such an attractive prospect. He then complements that excitement with a toughness and a willingness to defend that is not often associated with those as creative as him off half-back.

First-round draft talent Darcy Wilmot combines class with a bit of mongrel off half-back and hopes to follow in his late father’s footsteps come draft night.

Darcy looks like one of the most exciting prospects I've seen get to the club in a long time. Sheehan said earlier that he'd be pick 1 next year if he was born a couple of hours later.

Can't wait to see Darcy play. Give him the no 1 I reckon.

While the Giants were on the clock, Sydney rang about moving up from pick 18, while Melbourne had offered pick 19 and 39 for the selection and Brisbane was interested with 20 and a future second-round pick. It's likely all had the same idea in mind – snaring defender Darcy Wilmot – and even though the Lions had the next pick (where Wilmot was selected), by purchasing the Giants' selection it would have meant no other club could leapfrog them.

Hawthorn, too, had offered pick 23 and a future second-round pick for 15 but the Giants didn't budge, instead opting to take a needs-based approach to the selection.

Brisbane jumped on Wilmot once its turn came, targeting and finding an attacking half-back with pace and competitiveness

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four Young Guns Extend

First-year players Tunstill and Wilmot added a further two years onto their original two-year contracts to commit until the end of 2025.

First-year players Wilmot and Tunstill have both had flying starts to their careers at the Lions with solid performances in the VFL this season.

Tunstill’s smart ball use and competitive nature has seen him get plenty of ball as a versatile and hard-running midfielder, while Wilmot has shown plenty of energy and promise in the Lions’ defensive unit.

“I just love it at Brisbane,” Wilmot said.

“The culture here is just unreal and I turn up every day just loving what I’m doing. Why wouldn’t I want to be here?

“I’ve really enjoyed playing with the boys, especially in the VFL this season. Hopefully I can get my opportunity soon in the AFL but in the meantime, I’m just going to keep working hard.”

Lions Hold Off Another Set of Tigers

Veteran defender Ryan Lester put together another dominant performance, leading the charge for the Lions defensive unit alongside an energetic Darcy Wilmot to gather 27 disposals and 12 marks for the day.

Wilmot Primed for Finals Debut

Wimot-Debut.png

A do-or-die elimination final, in front of a sell-out crowd at The Gabba against Richmond – who have won three of the last five premierships.

Brisbane Lions youngster Darcy Wilmot understands that’s the scenario in which he will make his AFL debut on Thursday night. Is he overwhelmed? Not if you ask him.

“It’s a huge chance,” Wilmot said as he embraces the occasion.

“Always stay ready, as you just never know when you’ll get your chance.

“I just knew that when an opportunity came, I was definitely ready for it and would grab it.

“I thought I had opportunities throughout the season but coming to the end of it and our team being pretty healthy, I was pretty happy to accept that it might not happen. Though I would keep working hard just in case that one per cent turned my way – which it did.”

Wilmot, the club’s first pick in the 2021 draft, potentially would have made his debut earlier had it not been for suspension and COVID-19.

Though when senior coach Chris Fagan called the 18-year-old at the end of last week to tell him that his wait was over, the young Lion still experienced a rollercoaster of emotions.

“A lot of relief, a lot of excitement and nerves all in the one moment… bit of butterflies in the stomach. But more just excited that I was getting an opportunity,” Wilson said.

“I think I preferred when they told me.

“It just gives you a little bit longer and lets it sink in and I can get more prepared mentally and also physically. Just not worrying about if I am going to play or not.”

The next phone call was always going to be the hardest for Wilmot – calling his mum.

When recounting the call to tell his family his childhood dream would now be a reality, even the promising defender himself appeared to get emotional.

“Oh gee, mum and my sisters were all crying and really happy for me,” he said.

“As soon as I told mum she just started crying and screaming on the phone.

“They are rapt for me and means a lot to them and my girlfriend and all my mates and family because they know what I have sacrificed and gone through and what they have gone through.

“Just to finally get that reward for what I have dreamed of.”

It’s a phone call and moment that’s hard to plan for – and in many ways it didn’t go the way Wilmot had envisioned.

“At first mum was shocking with it, I tried to be like ‘oh what are you doing next Thursday?’ and she’s like oh hang on I’ve got to pull up my calendar and she’s going through what she’s actually doing,” the debutant laughed.

“I was like ‘oh don’t worry you’ve just ruined the moment’.”

With the formalities out the way and most of his training completed, it’s now time for the line-breaking and naturally courageous half-back to take the field.

“Not a lot has been said, we have just gone through meetings and tried to approach it like that,” Wilmot explained.

“I am sure I will have a more personal talk in the lead up to the game, but at the moment it has just been team meetings and what we are trying to get out of it, our structures and how we play.”

Wilmot was taken with pick 16 in the 2021 National Draft having played his junior football at Montmorency, Hazel Glen College and Northern Knights under-18s.

Darcy may have played his last VFL game..
Hope he stays in over Answerth!

Answerth:
Pros - hard at it, stays in the whole and can mark, courageous, speed
Cons - Disposal, defensively has gone down a bit

Wilmot:
Pros - Provides run out of defence, disposal, Direct opponent only got a goal (Cumberland got 5 last time we played), speed
Cons - Inexperiences (Dropped that uncontested mark that led to the goal)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back