Dare to be the Bear - A Q Clash Concept

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Hi gang,

I don't post in this forum a whole lot, but am a big Lions fan and love the Fitzroy and Bears and heritage.

A discussion on the graphic design forum has me pondering - would it be a good idea for the Lions to reintroduce the the original Bears jumper (cerise version) for Q Clash games at Metricon (away vs Suns) and the Bears V for games at the Gabba (home vs Suns).
This would reflect the different homes the Bears had during their tenure.

What do people think?

The last time we wore the cerise was in 2014, and the V in '04.

1620368181735.png

See below for designs (if you are unfamiliar)

1620368059027.png
1620368069362.png

I think this could be an awesome showdown kit, to honour our history whilst still keeping the Fizroy colours on our Melbourne and standard away kit

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Hi gang,

I don't post in this forum a whole lot, but am a big Lions fan and love the Fitzroy and Bears and heritage.

A discussion on the graphic design forum has me pondering - would it be a good idea for the Lions to reintroduce the the original Bears jumper (cerise version) for Q Clash games at Metricon (away vs Suns) and the Bears V for games at the Gabba (home vs Suns).
This would reflect the different homes the Bears had during their tenure.

What do people think?

The last time we wore the cerise was in 2014, and the V in '04.

View attachment 1120635
See below for designs (if you are unfamiliar)

View attachment 1120631View attachment 1120632

I think this could be an awesome showdown kit, to honour our history whilst still keeping the Fizroy colours on our Melbourne and standard away kit
I like the idea.:thumbsu:

It's not a Showdown though, we have the Pineapple Grapple.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would buy the s**t out of a Bears Guernsey. I honestly don't know why the club doesn't push the dual heritage line for marketing purposes. Wear the FFC monogrammed guernsey for big away mcg clashes and the Bears for Grapples and against the swans maybe. It gives Brisbane a unique marketing edge and would force the commentators to talk about the club more.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I would buy the sh*t out of a Bears Guernsey. I honestly don't know why the club doesn't push the dual heritage line for marketing purposes. Wear the FFC monogrammed guernsey for big away mcg clashes and the Bears for Grapples and against the swans maybe. It gives Brisbane a unique marketing edge and would force the commentators to talk about the club more.
The training reversible this year was super impressive by Classic, keen to see them get rid of the tiny lion monograms on the current kits. Also totally agree, the Bears stuff is glorious and deserves a second life.

I agree with the general sentiment - it's a great idea, and honours our QLD legacy.

For the same reason, we should wear a Fitzroy heritage jumper for at least our biggest Melbourne match each year (perhaps two of them).

You would think it would be great merchandise money for the club, and also a chance to keep the history alive and honour where we've come from a few times every year.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I even enjoyed the clash guernsey from a few years ago that was more Bears style, would love to see something similar come back.

I routinely check eBay for a reasonably priced Bears stubbie cooler but I'm too broke for what they pop up for.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We do get a bit spoiled when it comes to guernsey design don't we. From the heritage round jobbies to the Sir Doug Nicholls round designs, don't think I've seen one I haven't liked for quite a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a warm and fuzzy feeling to think about doing a straight up Bears tribute jumper for the Gold Coast games but we wear our white clash against them at Metricon for a reason. Unless it’s a Gabba game and they wear their clash jumper it’s going to be too close of a combination for a red and yellow team to play against us in a predominantly burgundy and yellow jumper.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why dont we have a predominantly royal blue clash jumper like our training jumpers this year? They could have a maroon chevron (vee) design to pay tribute to the bears jumper whilst incorporating the rest of our clubs merged colours. We only clash with Sydney, Gold Coast & The Giants. I dont understand why we don't wear our red away jumpers against adelaide since Essendon, Sydney & Gold Coast do, it doesn't clash with their home jumper. There's no need to wear a clash against adelaide. Not a huge fan of our current white clash jumper anyway, its boring and needs a few more elements added.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
It’s a warm and fuzzy feeling to think about doing a straight up Bears tribute jumper for the Gold Coast games but we wear our white clash against them at Metricon for a reason. Unless it’s a Gabba game and they wear their clash jumper it’s going to be too close of a combination for a red and yellow team to play against us in a predominantly burgundy and yellow jumper.

We actually wore our gold and maroon kit against gold coast multiple times for example Round 1 2017 and Round 22 2018 (which has a bit more white on it, but just for example, see below).

In fact we had the gold clash for about 3 years from 2017-2019

1620450687198.png

1620450434485.png

Our ANZAC kit at the time was also based on this and both did work

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Not a bad idea.

I think you'll find though that the original Bears song was "Dare to BEAT the bear"

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Correct, there were a bunch of articles last year about Aker and his challenges

and it's also a nice play on that song title

Bears jumper for QClash and Fitzroy every time we play in Melbourne. All three (including our standard) are great and should be showcased.

Back