Dark Side of the Ring/Tales from the Territories (On SBS)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the story was that Vince gave Jericho his blessing to join AEW, then at the last minute Vince back flipped and wanted to start talent hoarding and Jericho said to Vince "too late it's already done".

Both what you say and are quoting is true. And he'd be welcomed back with open arms. If nothing else just to keep his talent and name recognition from anywhere else.

If I was Vinnie Mac I'd be pissed.
Haven't read the credits but wife noted Jericho may have been listed as producer?

List of dodgy s**t Vince accused of at least some involvement in is huge: Gets short people on WWE after they help New Jack get off charges after the Mass Transit incident. Negligence in Owen Heart by cost-cutting on safety people, trying to move the court case to avoid paying money to compensation, the dodgy "Wellness" program that led to Benoit losing his s**t and killing people, Paying off cops to get Snuka to perform after killing a woman, assisting in Hawk becoming a born-again Christian, generally treating talent like total s**t.

WWE showed Jericho interview in the Taker doco so they haven't completely black listed him.

Vince comes across as a guy who would be pissed but understands it's business so wouldn't hold it against him. He has worked with guys that did a lot worse to him again.

WWE showed Jericho interview in the Taker doco so they haven't completely black listed him.

Vince comes across as a guy who would be pissed but understands it's business so wouldn't hold it against him. He has worked with guys that did a lot worse to him again.

Especially RE: The Dark Side of the Ring documentaries. I know Season 1 wasn't as 'harsh' on Vince McMahon but Mick Foley, Eric Bischoff & Bruce Prichard all made WWE returns following their appearances on Dark Side of the Ring season 1.

Such as?

If someone accused me of paying off police to get a wrestler off a murder charge in a high-rating television series I'd be pissed.

Just listen to Jerichos podcast over the last 12 months. Not quite at Punk levels, but he’s pretty anti Vince/WWE

Haha he's just salty that he was never a legit top guy I think. Probably got annoyed that it was always guys like Lesnar getting looks over him. I think the change from Owens and him main eventing Mania for the title to the curtain jerker was the final straw.

Just listen to Jerichos podcast over the last 12 months. Not quite at Punk levels, but he’s pretty anti Vince/WWE

He doesn't suck their dick like he used to and happy to throw jabs but he still happy to talk about WWE and often praises it and people within it during his time, he still tells plenty of good Vince stories. Doesn't talk about anything current because I doubt he watches.

I'd imagine what pisses Jericho off is that WWE employees are barred from his podcast. It's true to form for WWE but still incredibly petty considering he had guys from different promotions on when he was a WWE employee.

Finally got around to this. I watched the first episode on Bruiser Brody the other night and holy crap despite being a wrestling fan for over 3 decades there was some stuff in there that shocked me! Not the story I've heard about this incident ages ago but the brutality of some of those matches from the 70s/80s! I have to find me some Abdullah the Butcher and Bruiser Brody matches. I've heard of Abdullah obviously and his brutality but I just had this idea that most wrestling from back then was WWWF era style armbars, headlocks and clotheslines. I guess I kind of knew there were the more hardcore matches but it just didn't occur to me how cool they could've been.

Is any of this old school stuff on the network? Which territories should I be looking at for this stuff? WCCW? AWA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to this. I watched the first episode on Bruiser Brody the other night and holy crap despite being a wrestling fan for over 3 decades there was some stuff in there that shocked me! Not the story I've heard about this incident ages ago but the brutality of some of those matches from the 70s/80s! I have to find me some Abdullah the Butcher and Bruiser Brody matches. I've heard of Abdullah obviously and his brutality but I just had this idea that most wrestling from back then was WWWF era style armbars, headlocks and clotheslines. I guess I kind of knew there were the more hardcore matches but it just didn't occur to me how cool they could've been.

Is any of this old school stuff on the network? Which territories should I be looking at for this stuff? WCCW? AWA?

looks like there are a couple of Puerto Rico bloodiest matches compilations on youtube, so probably start there.

There is an Abdullah - Brody match from WCCW on the network. Here's five minutes from South West Championship Wrestling which is rapidly becoming one of my all time favourite promotions. Abdullah and Brody were critically important to the southern territories in the late 80s. Their feud went forever but it was always a draw (as can be seen in the crowd in this clip). You could book them and pop a crowd. There's no classic scientific grappling but the sense of anarchy they brought was top notch.

Bruiser Brody versus Lex Luger in a cage match in Florida with Bill Alfonso as the referee will make you laugh. Both Brody and
Abdullah wrestled in Australia some of the matches were brutal.

I'm in two minds on the Luger-Brody shoot. While it was funny as hell to watch Luger run away, it still was unprofessional by Brody to shoot on Luger.

Amazing to think how many top stars of the 70s wrestled here. In addition to Brody and Abdullah, we had Andre the Giant, Harley Race, Jack Briscoe, Dusty Rhodes. I've got vague memories of watching it on TV as a kid but my grandmother used to tell me about going to the matches at Festival Hall.

I'm in two minds on the Luger-Brody shoot. While it was funny as hell to watch Luger run away, it still was unprofessional by Brody to shoot on Luger.

Amazing to think how many top stars of the 70s wrestled here. In addition to Brody and Abdullah, we had Andre the Giant, Harley Race, Jack Briscoe, Dusty Rhodes. I've got vague memories of watching it on TV as a kid but my grandmother used to tell me about going to the matches at Festival Hall.
Brody had many of those moments, he got away with it because he was a huge draw although he did have to get out of the states
for awhile after heat with some promoters. I have a DVD called Ruff Tuff and Real which highlights the Australian Wrestling of that
era it is a bit dated, but a sound trip down memory lane. Ted Whitten does color commentary in a match between Harley Race and
Ron Miller that is thrown together after an injury to another wrestler, Harley Race's promo before and after the match was amazing
and so intense.

Brody had many of those moments, he got away with it because he was a huge draw although he did have to get out of the states
for awhile after heat with some promoters. I have a DVD called Ruff Tuff and Real which highlights the Australian Wrestling of that
era it is a bit dated, but a sound trip down memory lane. Ted Whitten does color commentary in a match between Harley Race and
Ron Miller that is thrown together after an injury to another wrestler, Harley Race's promo before and after the match was amazing
and so intense.

That promo (and match leading to the series) is on youtube and yep, it's brilliant.

Brody was a weird one. For a guy so clearly intelligent he must have known how much trouble he was causing for himself.

Hilarious story from when Brody was working a tag with Bill Watts. Across the ring were someone else and Danny Hodge. Brody tells Watts that Hodge isn't that big and he thinks he could take him. Watts kept his giggling on the inside and basically said "well he's over there". He said Brody tried to shoot and was screaming in 30 seconds*.

Watts also told Brody that although he loved him, he'd couldn't work for him because his word was no good. Again, amazing that Brody kept doing what he did. It's not like promoters didn't know.

(* - to be fair, Hodge is possibly the greater legit wrestler America has ever produced so it's no surprise. He also tore through a young Iron Sheik as well as tons of others.)

Brody was a weird one. For a guy so clearly intelligent he must have known how much trouble he was causing for himself.

Hilarious story from when Brody was working a tag with Bill Watts. Across the ring were someone else and Danny Hodge. Brody tells Watts that Hodge isn't that big and he thinks he could take him. Watts kept his giggling on the inside and basically said "well he's over there". He said Brody tried to shoot and was screaming in 30 seconds*.

Watts also told Brody that although he loved him, he'd couldn't work for him because his word was no good. Again, amazing that Brody kept doing what he did. It's not like promoters didn't know.

(* - to be fair, Hodge is possibly the greater legit wrestler America has ever produced so it's no surprise. He also tore through a young Iron Sheik as well as tons of others.)

I think Brody had figured out he could make a fortune in Japan and pretty much do what he wants when wrestling in the US. Brody was popular enough to be NWA Champ but there would be no way, he would have put guys over like Flair did. Speaking of which:

Dark Side of the Ring is currently well underway on filming its third season, and several topics for the show’s next batch of episodes have been revealed by their interview subjects. The show, which covers unseemly and covered up aspects of wrestling outside the squared circle, is looking to cover Grizzly Smith, Brian Pillman, and the joint WCW/New Japan event that occurred in North Korea.

Dark Side of the Ring is currently well underway on filming its third season, and several topics for the show’s next batch of episodes have been revealed by their interview subjects. The show, which covers unseemly and covered up aspects of wrestling outside the squared circle, is looking to cover Grizzly Smith, Brian Pillman, and the joint WCW/New Japan event that occurred in North Korea.
The Loose Cannon, nice!

Re: Pillman.
He dated Terri Runnells, who also dated New Jack, who went to court for distributing nude pictures of her. He said he owned the rights to them because he took the pictures. *in' legend.

(If anyone happens to know where I can find these pictures please PM me).

North Korea one would be Intresting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back