AFL Club
St Kilda
Darragh Joyce

409260_np.jpg

DOB: 23/04/1997
Height 193cm
Weight: 88kg
Background: Hurling

When St Kilda List Manager, Tony Elshaug, and Pro Scout, Wayne Hughes, insisted that Darragh Joyce spend an extra year in Ireland and enjoy a year at college before pursuing a career in our game, that advice put the hurling star on a path to Linen House Centre.

Joyce tested at last October’s Draft Combine at Etihad Stadium and met with the Saints at the National Draft in Adelaide in November, where the club left a lasting impression on the 19-year-old from Kilkenny in the Emerald Isle.

“I was down in Australia last year down at the National Draft and I met up with Wayne Hughes and Tony Elshaug – they were very good to me,” Joyce told saints.com.au on Friday before returning to Ireland ahead of the pre-season.

“They let me go home for a year, enjoy college and let me go and have fun for a year, deliberate the decision and have a think about it. They just made me feel really comfortable with the way they approached it. I’m delighted to be here at the Saints.”

Video: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-09/how-joyce-landed-at-st-kilda

Former Kilkenny under-age star, Darragh Joyce, has embarked on a professional career in football in Australia.

Joyce (19) is set to begin his much anticipated career Down Under after signing a two year contract with Melbourne based club, St Kilda. A number of clubs from the AFL had been pursuing the talented Rower-Inistioge clubman for at least three years, and he was close to singing on a few occasions in the past.

However, recently he signed on the dotted line for St Kilda. Joyce captained Kilkenny to an All-Ireland minor hurling championship victory in 2014, and for the past two seasons he has been part of the Rower senior team.

Link: http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/s...-down-under-in-pursuit-of-football-dream.html

Reality has finally sunk in for Darragh Joyce. After returning from Ireland last week, it dawned on the former hurling prodigy that the novelty factor had worn off; this is his life now.

The Kilkenny product and Westmeath Gaelic football star, Ray Connellan, began life at the Saints at the beginning of the pre-season as the club's latest international recruits, joining American Jason Holmes and New Zealand pair Joe Baker-Thomas and Barclay Miller.

After reaching the Christmas break and travelling back to Kilkenny in south-east Ireland for ten days, Joyce has returned to Linen House Centre well aware of the enormity of what he is trying to achieve in a foreign code.

“The first few months were still a bit of a novelty, but since I’ve come back and leaving everyone at home to come back again, it’s sunk in now,” Joyce told saints.com.au on Wednesday afternoon.

“You wake up every morning and realise what you’re doing. It still does get you every morning that you’re waking up and coming to training, but it’s starting to sink in.”

Link: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-11/reality-sinks-in-for-joyce

482377-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Ray Connellan on the left and Darragh Joyce on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joyce has played in the Sandy side all year and is learning the game . Has the potential to be a handy player . He has pace to burn and hopefully in another year or two will have understood what he needs to do to be an afl player . Lots of promise.

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

Irish recruit Darragh Joyce is ‘flying’ in his second pre-season at St Kilda, according to compatriot Ray Connellan.

The pair landed at Linen House Centre last October and spent their first season learning the game at Sandringham.

While Connellan’s attributes fit the mould of most Gaelic converts – think Zac Tuohy, Pearce Hanley and even Tadgh Kennelly – Joyce is a former hurling star who is being groomed in a more difficult key defensive post.

“Darragh has come back in unreal shape,” Connellan told saints.com.au on Wednesday.

“He’s flying in the running, especially compared to last year; he has really come into his own this pre-season.

“It will be exciting to see how well he can do this year.”

Connellan spent two months back in his homeland during the off-season break before returning to Melbourne for another long, hot summer in Seaford.

“It was great to get back and chill out with my family and friends,” he said.

“I didn’t go anywhere, I just stayed at home.

“I’ve got mates in college at Dublin and then on the other coast in Galway. So I was just travelling between the two.”

After living with a host family in Black Rock for the first 12 months, Connellan has recently moved in with young key defender Hugh Goddard.

“I’ve only been in there for a couple of days and I’ve lasted so far,” he said.

“Me and Hughie get on really well. We’ve both got similar personalities and are easy going, so I’m really happy with the move.”
509f722585a93d548df88b700f0e0181.jpg

1793c87684cec1750e9598a4e6caa5f0.jpg
9675ae5b30540eb9beaa1d994cd6f54c.jpg

Last edited:
AS THEY embark on their second season with St Kilda, Irishmen Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan aren't lacking in a key attribute required to make it in the AFL – competiveness.

Whether it's trying to match it with opponents who have played the game all their lives or holding their own "against the Aussies" in locker room banter, it's clear the exciting prospects aren't here just to escape the Emerald Isle's often dreary weather.

A friendly rivalry between the great mates is another factor driving them to realise their dream of becoming League footballers.

"If Ray got a senior debut and I didn't, you'd be happy for him, but also pissed off," Joyce told AFL.com.au.

See the AFLX fixture and get your tickets here

"There's definitely that competitiveness between us."

Early last season the 21-year-old tall defender called on that resolve after he was dropped to the VFL reserves while Connellan kept his place in the Sandringham senior side.

The County Kilkenny product was frustrated by his inability to adapt to the game more quickly, but in reflection, the demotion was a turning point in his fledgling career.

"It did sting me getting dropped, but it was the best thing for me at the time because it allowed me to go back to a slightly slower pace and build my form," Joyce admitted.

"I was a defender back home (in Gaelic football), and it was more about attacking the ball than tackling and trying to put a body on your opponent.

"I'm probably that third tall who has the versatility to play on talls and smalls."

Connellan was also battling to keep his spot in the Zebras' senior side, but found inspiration in how his compatriot handled the disappointment.

"You could see he was flat when he went down, but his next game back in the seniors was his best and the confidence came with it," Connellan told AFL.com.au.

"He could see the grit that said, 'You're not going to drop me again'."

While athleticism and strength are Joyce's standout qualities, Connellan possesses explosive pace that the Saints' brains trust tried to exploit in defence before realising he was a natural forward.

Joyce agrees with the change in view, quipping that the Westmeath native has "never defended a day in his life".

A solid pre-season has seen the 24-year-old shed some puppy fat and running better than ever as he eyes a place in Alan Richardson's side with a new defensive mindset.

"You have opportunity to play with natural flair and go out try things as a forward, so that's where I'm going to have to stake my claim for a spot," Connellan said.

"One thing that stood against me last year was I didn't create enough pressure and lay enough tackles, so I've been really working on it this pre-season."

Lindsay Gilbee knows very well the insecurity that can swamp a youngster trying to make his way at the highest level, as he also struggled in the VFL before becoming an All Australian at the Western Bulldogs.

Ray Connellan celebrates a goal for Sandringham. Picture: AFL Photos

As coach of Sandringham last season, Gilbee was central to Joyce's axing, but also a great mentor to a pair he believes have the qualities to be long-term League footballers.

A renowned brilliant kick, Gilbee raves about the Irish pair's foot skills for relative novices, and compares Joyce to former teammate and 200-gamer Ryan Hargrave, while he'd back Connellan to win a match race against ex-Melbourne speedster Aaron Davey.

"The good thing about the Irish guys is that they're really driven, and that makes coaching them enjoyable," Gilbee told AFL.com.au.

"Ray was getting spoken about (in match committee) to play senior footy last year because we lacked some pace in our forward half.

"Getting dropped hurt Darragh, but I told him I played VFL reserves, our captain Jarryn Geary did and so did David Armitage, so he needed to look at the bigger picture.

"I believe he came back a much better player.

"Things might need to go their way, but I'm confident they both could play senior footy and hold their own."

Homesickness has seen many Irishmen give up the chance of becoming a professional footballer, and Connellan and Joyce have both battled the call of home.

But they credit the support of the Saints, the Australian lifestyle and the "craic" (fun) they share with the 12 other Irishmen in the competition for aiding their adventure down under.

Social media has also helped their cause by making it easier for them to keep abreast of how family and friends are in Ireland – and slowly invade the AFL.

"All the Irish players out here are in a WhatsApp group called "the takeover" in honour of (Irish MMA fighter) Conor McGregor, and (Geelong's) Zach Tuohy is definitely the father figure," Joyce joked.

"I think there's five or six of us in Melbourne, so it's great to hear an accent and catch up with the lads – it makes it easier with homesickness."

Now just a month out from competitive football, Connellan feels the past 12 months have conditioned him and Joyce to make the most of the opportunity they feel lucky to have.

"The whole concept of being a professional footballer has well and truly sunk in now, because it's pretty cool to wake up in the morning and be kicking the footy for a living," Connellan said.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Would love some highlights of his game if he was considered BOG! Definitely thought he was the less likely of the Irish duo to make it.
Obviously inspired by my advocacy. The highlights I saw were only the goals scored so just think about all those bits they didn't show.

Obviously inspired by my advocacy. The highlights I saw were only the goals scored so just think about all those bits they didn't show.
Good time to sing the praises of Darragh in his efforts to crack the big time before his mate Ray.

Circumstances currently - playing against West Coast's twin towers with Carlisle suspended for 2 games, Gilbert out for 4 more and Brown out for another 3 - means that Austin's gonna need backup.

Hugh Goddard has struggled in the twos while Joyce has been named in the bests for Sandy 3 times out of 7 games, including a best on ground.

That spells OPPORTUNITY!!

All aboard ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darragh Joyce was able to nullify the influence of Frankston’s main goalkicker, and the tall Irishman shows real promise as a shut-down defender.

The hurling convert’s impressive athleticism allows him to contest well in the air and cover the ground, and has been on the brink of selection a few times already in 2018, Joyce’s luck could turn soon.

Go Saints

Darragh JOYCE
2018 VFL

Totals
  • 9 games
  • 0 goals
  • 0 behinds
  • 4 times in best players list

Averages
  • 8.4 kicks
  • 5.1 handballs
  • 13.6 disposals
  • 3.0 marks
  • 2.3 tackles
  • 0.9 inside 50s
  • 2.8 rebound 50s
  • 0.8 frees for
  • 1.1 frees against
  • 51.44 DT points

As a fresh-faced 19-year-old, Darragh Joyce uprooted his life and left his family in Ireland to pursue an unlikely dream, and it will all be worth it when he runs out in the red, white and black for his AFL debut this Sunday.

It started with a simple email, then a kick in Dublin’s Phoenix Park, followed by a 17,300km journey to the other side of the world, and now finally, the Irishman gets his chance on the big stage.

READ: Joyce 'flying' says compatriot

To say Joyce’s journey thus far has been unconventional would be a gross understatement.

Growing up deep in hurling country in County Kilkenny, Darragh Joyce was practically born with a hurl in his hand.

With his sporting future seemingly mapped out before him, the young hurling prodigy’s older brothers Kieran and Conor paved the way, the former enjoying sustained All-Ireland success with Kilkenny at the highest level.

Joyce’s adept ability at the ancient Gaelic game culminated in lifting the Irish Press Cup aloft, having captained Kilkenny to All-Ireland minor hurling glory.

WATCH: Give it a hurl

But now, nearly four years later, the 21-year-old is staring down the barrel of a debut in what was once a foreign game in a far-off land.

Unlike most Irish converts though, Joyce's Gaelic football career never extended into club level.

The ex-hurler has learned from two of St Kilda’s best coaching assets in Lindsay Gilbee, widely renowned as one of the best exponents of the drop punt in the game’s history, and defensive stalwart Danny Frawley.

“I’ve been doing a lot of work with Spud (Frawley) on bodywork to put me in a good position to either intercept or spoil it, so just doing the basics week in, week out, and a lot of kicking with Lindsay (Gilbee) as well, so it’s all paying off,” Joyce told saints.com.au.

“It’s been a big journey for me, so to get here, there’s been a lot of hard work over the last year, but hopefully it’s the first of many.”

Home is never too far away for the Kilkenny man though, and a last-minute flight booking means the Joyce family will be represented at the MCG on Sunday.

“Me Mam’s on the way over now, so she’ll be here in less than 24 hours, which is great,” Joyce said.

WATCH: Joyce family goes Driving With Paddy

Upon revealing to Joyce that he was to make his debut, senior coach Alan Richardson reassured him that his captivating story had nothing to do with his senior selection.

“I’ve been involved with a few Irish boys over the years, and you came in as green as anyone that I’ve worked with, so it’s a real credit to you,” Richardson said.

“You’re in because you’ve earnt it. It’s not a novelty thing, it’s not a ‘righto, we haven’t quite had the results we’re after, so let’s just have a look at the list’…that’s not the case.

“You’ve worked your backside off, you know, first in, last to leave, that sort of attitude, and it’s certainly got you this opportunity.”

Richardson also drew on Joyce’s exemplary work ethic both on and off the field.

“You’ve earnt the respect of your teammates, and that’s what I want,” he said.

“By the time we’ve finished on the MCG on Sunday, (I want) your teammates to look you in eye at the end of the game and know they can trust you.”

Darragh Joyce becomes just the third Irish-born player to represent St Kilda in VFL/AFL history, following Dermot McNicholl (3 games, 1990) and Colm Begley (1 game, 2009).

Go Saints

A great first up effort by Darragh . Should give him a lot of confidence for the future. He had 10 disposals and 3 marks . He ended up on Hogan after Brown did his hammy and he did a good job for a first gamer.

Go Saints

There’s an old saying that when it rains, it pours, and that couldn’t ring truer for the Joyce family last week.

In the early hours of the morning in Kilkenny last Thursday, one of their very own in hurling convert Darragh Joyce was being told by Alan Richardson that he’d be making his AFL debut for St Kilda on the other side of the world.

A few hours later, Kathleen Joyce awoke to a phone call from her son abroad, who told her of his imminent debut and asked if she’d like to fly out for the game.

WATCH: Darragh's debut

Seems like a straightforward decision, but that same Thursday, Joyce’s older brother Kieran, himself a four-time All-Ireland winning hurler, was driving his overdue wife to hospital for the birth of their first child.

“My daughter-in-law was in hospital having our first grandchild,” mum Kathleen said.

“So, my husband decided he’d stay with my son Kieran, and I decided to come out and support my baby Darragh.”

It was during Kathleen’s 22-hour journey from Kilkenny to Melbourne, somewhere between Abu Dhabi and Australia, that little Farrow Joyce was born, the first Joyce grandchild and Darragh’s niece.

Joyce was incredulous at just how eventful his debut weekend had turned out to be.

“The minute Mam hopped on the plane, the baby arrived, so yeah it’s just been a crazy 48 hours!”

Joyce became just the third Irishman to represent the Saints at the highest level, an incredible feat given 2018 marks the club’s 145-year anniversary.

WATCH: Saints belt it out

The magnitude of the achievement was summed up perfectly by injured star Dylan Roberton, who presented Joyce with his first jumper.

“You’re representing your family today, your country, but for the first time you get to represent the Saints,” Roberton said.

“Hopefully you get to represent us for a long time, so congratulations.”

Kathleen was positively brimming with pride in the rooms after the Saints’ underdog victory, crediting her son’s persistence to earn a senior berth.

“Darragh has such determination,” she said.

“When he got the call-out to come to Australia with St Kilda, he put his head down and he’d just go 100% to make the first team, and he has done, and he’s done everyone proud back home.”

Joyce will be hoping to build on his debut, which saw him hold his own against experienced heavyweights Jesse Hogan and Tom McDonald.

MRV-Membership-620x200.jpg

Go Saints

Hamill says - Darragh Joyce 10 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 mark, 6 tackles

Darragh played on an established AFL player in Stewart Crameri, who’s a much bigger body and has been in the system for a long time, but Darragh really held his own. He’s a bit of a fiery Irishman, but he’s really good one-on-one, and he’s been in great form since getting his call-up to the seniors. He’ll get his chance, and I don’t think 'Richo' would have any hesitation in selecting him this week.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back