Delisted Darragh Joyce

Remove this Banner Ad

Darragh Joyce
16 disposals, 12 kicks, four marks
“I thought Darragh was really good along with the back six. Solid on Nick Rodda I thought, he probably hit the scoreboard a couple of times – three or so – but not too bad from 45 entries.”

Irishman Darragh Joyce has also been rewarded for his persistence after a month of strong form in the VFL.
The agile defender has been forced to bide his time after being omitted following the Round 1 win over the Suns.
Joyce won a crucial one-on-one battle with Peter Wright late in that game to help secure the four points and is certain to go to one of the Giants’ mobile forwards.

Darragh Joyce
13 disposals, four tackles, four marks

“He’s part of the back six who I can’t speak higher of. I’ve got a lot of admiration how he plays and commits himself to our system. I think he and the back six certainly helped set the game up, and [Jackson] Hille is a part of that and so is [Jack] Noone.”

Darragh Joyce
16 disposals, 16 kicks, eight marks, one goal

“Darragh’s just improving with every game he plays, whether it be VFL or AFL. His game sense is picking up, he’s getting some good output in terms of what he’s been able to do with his positioning around defence, which is a credit to him. Was nice to see Darragh get on the board too!”

Don’t Panic !!

Darragh Joyce
16 disposals, 13 kicks, six marks
“Darragh got stronger as the game wore on and I thought his third quarter in particular was strong for us. He’s in really good form for us like a lot of our backs. We kept the Blues to 47 entries, but 15 of them came in the first quarter which wasn’t ideal, so I think once we were able to put pressure up the field more, we gave those guys like Darragh behind the ball a better chance.”

TR230519MW0659.JPG

Darragh Joyce
17 disposals, 16 kicks, 10 marks
“I thought Darragh was good all day. We asked him to take the game on in the end and that was pleasing, so I think Darragh showed some good signs. We liked his positioning and we’ve just got to get him to transfer that [into] AFL level. His positioning at VFL level is very good and we know that he’s a very good player at this level. We liked his contest work too and he gets team defence, so I thought it was one of his better games.”

Darragh Joyce
12 disposals, 10 kicks, four marks
“He just saves you a lot, DJ. Darragh seemed to have a fair bit of the footy for us and took a few handy grabs, but he just looked safe with ball in hand and safe with his positioning.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another player who improved out of sight from last year . He was unlucky to be dropped early on when Brown came back into the side . Played well for Sandy all year . Even spent time up forward and kicked a few goals . This will only help him learn to read the game better .

Another player who improved out of sight from last year . He was unlucky to be dropped early on when Brown came back into the side . Played well for Sandy all year . Even spent time up forward and kicked a few goals . This will only help him learn to read the game better .

I'm really bullish about his future.
I thought his biggest issue down back was giving away too many free's , but that's stuff that will come.
Right now he's a depth player in the back line, and even in the forward line, but when we look at how far he's come in just a few years, he could be anything, he has the athleticism to do it, and seems to be picking up the game amazingly well.

Darragh Joyce
Career
Games: 5
One-percenters:
Games: 3
One-percenters:

656426_ll.jpg

With Nathan Brown sidelined through suspension and Jake Carlisle injured, Darragh Joyce filled the defensive posts in the opening round of the season.
The Irish recruit would only play another two games for the year, but enhanced his craft under the watchful eye of Aaron Hamill in the VFL.
The Kilkenny recruit was one of the Sandringham’s most valuable assets, particularly when the side lacked positional depth as injuries took their toll.
Joyce was tried up forward and booted a handful of goals, but did his best work in defence through his vocal leadership, impressive marking and one-on-one contested work.
BEST GAME:
With the Saints’ backline stocks depleted, Joyce stood up to the plate against Gold Coast with 18 disposals, 11 one-percenters and a match-saving spoil to get the Saints on the board.

Darragh Joyce
"Darragh’s moved back for this season. He played forward a fair bit last year in the hub, but he looks so good behind the ball and just looks so steady.

"He’s now going for his marks and you can see the real shift in the last couple of weeks of him just seeing it and going for it.
"For a bloke who hasn’t played much footy, he reads it very well and that’s his real strength.

"DJ and Clav are just workhorses. They put heaps and heaps of work in after training, especially on the important stuff for them – they’re good contested marks, they’re smart readers of the play, so that’s where they put most of their energy into."

Darragh Joyce
"Darragh was probably our best player, along with Jake. Two weeks in a row now he’s had some really good form and he’s just marking he ball whenever it comes near him.

"It’s really good for a bloke who four, five weeks ago probably was more focussed on his opponent and stopping them.

DJ.jpg

Darragh Joyce. Photo: Corey Scicluna.
"He’s always a leader down there, he’s a good connector of the two teams by his ability to play as well.

"There were a couple of times where the ball hit the ground and he followed up as well, which has been a focus for him being about 195cm. If he can add that ground-level stuff to his game then he’s rounding himself out nicely."

He must be first in line if Howard gets injured .

Essendon seconds trimmed back the margin during the second term with the breeze on their side, but Darragh Joyce again led the defensive charge through his intercept marking and marshalling of the back six.

He’s back and I know we have the GWS game in 2019 to go on however the summaries from the club all during 2020 were positive about his performances in scratch matches. What I like and this is from watching training in 2019 was how vocal he is. He was captain his underage hurling teams in Ireland. And his mrs is happy for him. ☘️

Attachments

• D2B0CFBB-10A2-4D49-A8E5-E75A7AF485CB.png
    D2B0CFBB-10A2-4D49-A8E5-E75A7AF485CB.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 81

Remove this Banner Ad

Back